Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7457 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
idata
Employee

intel asked for volunteers to collect data, so I did. Shortly after i got an email saying they had enough volunteers so i did not get a chance to join. I seem to remember someone from Intel saying that they hoped this would be resolved by 1st march, so I left it and decided to wait. I am still experiencing the same problems, and there has been no feedback from intel that i am aware of. Have I missed something, or am I wasting my time. Any chance of an update from intel. i note that this issue is marked as resolved, but as far as I am concerned it is not.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Also having issues with N mode on Samsung 900XC. Can someone in intel please give us an update?

0 Kudos
Ilene_K_Intel
Employee

Hello all,

Intel is currently working to resolve your issue. We have created special diagnostic software that will help us better understand this issue to find a solution.

We are looking for a few volunteers willing to help us understand the connection dropouts you are experiencing. You'll need to be able to provide details on the issue, your laptop and wireless router setup. We may need you to install the Intel diagnostic software on your computer. This software will help us gather the technical details that we need and some personally-identifiable information will be gathered, although none will be used. Once we have the technical details we need, we will then help you remove the software from your computer.

If you would like to help us troubleshoot this issue then do the following:

Send me a private message with your full name, contact information, OS version and laptop model and the best way to contact you.

A contact center agent will contact you to assist with gathering further details, providing the diagnostic software and further troubleshooting as needed.

If you do not want to volunteer, you may want to test version 15.6.0 which will be released later today.

Thank you,

IleneK

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This is very encouraging news. I look forward to trying the new 15.6 driver set.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I tried the latest version (Wireless_15.6_De64.exe) and it didn't work for me.....the same issues occurred.

On a positive note, Intel emailed me to do some diagnostics and fill out a form..... I've replied back.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

New drivers also didn't resolve it for me. At least they didn't make it worse eh?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the newest update and nothing improved. I bought a samsung series s ultra and i love everything about it except for this darn network adaptor issue I hope intel fixes it soon! I cant do my timed online quizes on my own laptop because of this issue! i spent 700 dollars on this laptop and now i still have to go to my college library to do homework.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So is anyone else helping Intel out with data collection to hopefully resolve this issue sooner? My neice who has an affected Samsung ultrabook is helping Intel out by collecting data, the more folk that get involved the better! Intel's request is on page 10 of this thread (20-Feb-2013 15:10) - just in case you missed it.

Hopefully with more folk collecting data, then Intel can get to the root cause sooner and then resolve the wifi problems

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just sent them an email asking to join the program.

Joined the intel forums today to research the issue. Bought an open box Samsung Series 5 14' NP520U4C-A01UB from BB for my girlfriend. Not sure if we want to hold on to it or return for something without this intel wireless card.

Other than the wifi issues, I really like the unit. Its unfortunate and I'm pretty sure this is why it was an open box item.

UPDATE: Just went a little overboard on a twitter campaign, but seem to have got attention of Mary Jo Foley (windows reporter) and Microsoft help. We will see what else happens

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have sent them a private message this morning, giving them details. I have also kept various screen shots from when the problem first started in Aug 2012, and any new problems that have appeared, so hopefully this may help them.

Now to wait and see what happens!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I signed up for testing but the testing app caused a BSOD on my laptop (Vaio S13P), so it looks like I'm out, haha.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I tried both win8 and win7 version of the new drivers on my win8 machine. They made my problem even worse:(

By these drivers, internet doesn't last more than one minute.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My problem still persists after installing the latest driver. Signal strength is poor (I had a worse wireless adapter previously to this which had full strength in the same location at all times), and the speed is absolutely terrible. I really do hope the final driver can deliver.

0 Kudos
RKell3
New Contributor I

I know there are different things you can look at.

There are some models that have the antenna in the hinge area. If your system is one of them, and the hinge area is covered with metal, that hinders the signal. Tilt the laptop on the left side and see if your signal increases.

I have also found a loose antenna wire on an adapter.

You can try these tweaks, it sometimes helps.

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

Rick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have already tried all those power management settings. Nothing helped.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Great news that Intel are on the case, well done guys :-) My niece is helping out too as she has wifi dropouts on her Samsung ultrabook, she just sent them some diagnostic data. Fingers crossed this will be resolved soon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

also, the centrino 2230 is experiencing the same issue. I took back my Samsung laptop because of this specific issue and now my Lenovo has the same spiking issues and disconnect rate as my Samsung did. Luckily this computer is way better though.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I guess I've had a small breakthrough, I updated recently to version 15.3.1.2, I am still gettindrop outs, tho not asfrequent, and finally I can click ontroubled work trouble shooter and it fixes the wireless connection, before I used to click trouble shooter and the blue screen would appear which I'd have to turn off. One thing I'm not sure about is myspeeds, how would I find this?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Marie:

In your task tray, right click on the network icon (indicated by progressing bars, like cell phone antenna strength meter). Left click on open network and sharing center. There you will see in the right hand pane, your wireless network connection...click the the link and a properties box will open. It will show you your "theoretical" connection speed (it is sampled many times per minute and is a rolling average).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So my XPS laptop is finally failing so I went to best buy to pick up some RAM for my work laptop and I (stupidly) decided to give Samsung another try. Thinking the ultrabook with touch screen might work. In my previous posts I returned my series 5 on day 30. Sooo, I asked the geek squad if they every have heard about this issue with these laptops or the Intel dropouts with this wireless radio. The answer was they had never heard of it. Well. So I thought lets give it another try, its a different model/configuration and I knew I could return it. Brought it home last night and guess what, same thing.

So I have called Samsung on the original, many of you have to and they claim they don't know anything about it. Both Samsung and Intel should be embarrassed. I am going to print this entire thread and take this thing back today. I will give the geek squad a little lesson about honesty. There is no way I returned the only two Samsung series 5 for the same reason.

Good luck and I will search for another laptop without this wireless card. Nice going Intel. Way sit on this one for WAY too long. I offered up my laptop a few months ago and your just now taking this seriously.

SAD.

Derek

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Disabling N connections in the Device Manager "fixed" this issue for me. Of course now I have to live with slow wi-fi until this is resolved...

0 Kudos