Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7492 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
JB26
New Contributor I

I rolled my driver back and I am still getting high latency with the Intel Wifi card, it pauses every 30 seconds or so and I've been logging the communication between the WiFi card and the Router. It is not disconnecting as frequently but drops my speed way down. Should have bought the touch screen Chronos, I can't even update any of the other Intel software because of the dropouts either, go figure.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I rolled back the driver to 15.5.0.42 in the windows driver settings (when I selected the "roll back driver" option, it automatically reverted to that version) and so far so good. No dropouts as of yet and WiDi seems to be functioning properly.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am getting the impression rolling back seems to work for more than not? Will probably try but ended up buying a usb wifi dongle - uses up a usb slot and doesnt look great on my premium series 9 samsung.

I have always been pro Intel versus say AMD and other chipset manufactures but this experience has changed that for good.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I also have problems with my wifi-connections. I have regular latency spikes and on startup i always have to deactivate-activate the wifi-card.

I deactivated the n-band and the priority to 5ghz and the latency issue were reduced but not gone and i still have to deactivate-activate to get a connection.

Im sitting on a clevo150hm win 7

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have now updated to the latest driver, changed some settings and done some testing (pinging a server) to evaluate the optimum settings for me.

Router setting

802.11 g

20mhz + 40mhz + auto

Setting for the n-6235

n-inactivated

prefer 2.4 ghz

incompatibility (spelling? =P) for 40mhz - inactivated

wireless mode - g

result:

The highest ms is reduced from ~100 over a couple of seconds (1-3) to a peak short peak (25-60ms) in every 3 pingsessions for less than a second.

Ofcourse ive done the same thing wired without any issues, and ive also done this while being at a friends house at his wireless network and had the same problem, but different router and different isp-provider, still no problems with a wire.

And ofcourse did i try the same thing with a different laptop at my home and had no problem.

The problem with the n-6235 not starting when power-on the laptop is still there. The thing i do get this to work is simply deactivate-activate the card until the wireless service starts (may take upp to 10 times deactivate-activate) which is a bit of a bummer.

To clarify, ive never experienced any speedproblem with my connections, only with the stability, which for me as a long time fps-gamer is waaaaay worse.

Ive come to the conclusion that the only thing that may have affected all those scenarios were issues with the n-6235, thou i cant tell if its a hardware problem or a driver problem because im self-learned and a average joe skillwise.

Peew, this was exausting, hope this helps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Tested with latest Intel drivers, and also with latest Samsung drivers and still having connection drop out every now and then. Easily reproducible while copying a big sized file or streaming a movie from network storage.

It's not admissible that a nano wifi adapter beats a "top of the line" internal wifi chipset like this. Please fix it asap!

0 Kudos
SKSmp
Beginner

Has someone actually sent the laptop back to the manufacturer (Samsung or others)? If so, what did they do and did it help? I've just been on the phone with Samsung support and they told me to bring it in to their repair centre here in Switzerland. But I can't afford to be without my laptop for three weeks or so, I need it for work. Shall I rather wait for an official statement or an update by Intel/Samsung? I suspect that bringing it in might not be of great help as long as the reason of this problem isn't found.

I have a NP-900X3D with Windows 8 and I have provided it with the latest driver updates. Internet connection is more or less stable in most places, in others its worse. Yesterday I couldn't connect at Starbuck's for example. Speed at home is about 6 times lower than my ipad, which means at most 5mbit/s, but normally around 0,5-1 mbit/s only.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Silvan theres no point taking it in they cant fix this only intel can, waste of time I think. I know it sucks but perhaps buy a wifi dongle - there about £10, cheap and better than intel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Wow!! My problem has been solved with the new driver:)

You guys should give it a try

0 Kudos
SDunb1
Beginner

Go figure, after the second reboot it now works as expected. Yay!

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

That version still does not work, try again Joe. Intel Fail.

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

Where is the fix Intel???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Boz,

I don't know if this was posted earlier in the thread, but give link below a try...I am still testing so can't confirm anything...

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm Wireless Networking — What are the recommended settings for 802.11n connectivity?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok, so I have downloaded multiple gigs of data over about 1 hour period of time and so far so good. I was running a constant ping to my router while downloading to see if I get some packet drops. I think I might have gotten 1 drop over that period of time. I have all power options set to maximum performance, and I followed instructions on the link I posted above. Wireless connection stays at about 130mb/sec. In the adapter settings I am seeing Driver Version: 15.4.1.1.

I will continue testing and let you guys know.

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

I still get horrible signal and stuttering bit rate that freezes, it's so bad it won't even give me good QoS for VoIP applications. I am not impressed and nearing the return time for the laptops. I don't want to be stuck with a dud. a $1200 laptop should not have these issues, period.

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

This reminds of the bad run of Intel Chipsets in Sony Vaio laptops that caused the motherboards to die within a few months to a year, the southbridge kept failing and Intel turned to look the other way and ignored the issue. 

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

Intel should have tested the 6235 Centrino Wireless-N card and Samsung should have tested it more in their newer Chronos and Series 7 and 9 laptops.

Intel needs to fix this issue.

0 Kudos
SKSmp
Beginner

The latest driver update solved my speed problems on my Samsung Series 9 NP-900X3D, Windows 8. I'm currently downloading at 26 mbit/s. Better late than never.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Latest driver update seems to have fixed the problem on my Samsung Series 5 running on Windows 8. I have re-enabled 802.11n mode and its working fine (it never used to work). Fingers crossed that this will last.

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

At home I am using a Linksys wireless G router I am not even attempting to use Wireless N and I am still getting signal degradation and stuttering from the WiFi card, as well as losing communication with the router itself. At work they are enterprise grade access points. I can't imagine how bad it will be at Wireless N speeds. Like I said the other equipment at the locations has no issues whatsoever. It's bad enough I cannot use a VPN connection or use QoS enabled applications or upload to the web server due to issues.

Going to return them and get an AMD chipset with Broadcom WiFi.

0 Kudos