Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7542 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
SDunb1
Beginner

I just joined to say I'm having a similar problem with the newest driver on Windows 8. The WiFi doesn't directly tell me it is disconnecting, but when I check the performance on task manager, it only holds connection for about a second before turning right back off again. Going back to down to G solves the problem for the time being.

I'm on a Sony S15 2012 model.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

You may want to make sure you are using the latest driver version 15.6 from the link below. Please remove the previous version first. If the issue persists please escalate the issue with the computer manufacturer.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22495&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=Software%20Applications http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22495&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=Software%20Applications

0 Kudos
oskil
Novice

Joe,

Does this look like comedy channel to you?

Do we look like idiots?

I am asking in all honesty.

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

Joe,

We have brand new Samsung NP700Z5C-S02UB's with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 wireless card. We too are having major issues with WiFi strength and also the connection dropping out. I have faster speeds, better range and a more secure connection with our WEBos phones and everyone knows how horrible they are. I also have better range, coverage and speed with my other HP laptop which uses a BROADCOM chipset.

Please fix this issue with the Intel chipset and WifI driver for the N6235, the laptop is completely unusable at this point for work. I will switch the company to HP with Broadcom drivers if you don't

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Joe,

I just followed your directions and installed the latest 15.6 drivers from the link you provided. I have completely deleted previous drivers and disabled wifi card so windows doesn't auto-update.

The problem I am facing now, besides that this haven't fixed the issue, is that when i go to control panel and into properties of this wireless card, under the drivers tab it says Driver version: 15.4.0.11.

I tried all kinds of things to get 15.6 to pop up under driver version but it won't go any higher than 15.4.0.11.

Once again, I have used the link you provided and used two versions of the driver: Wireless_15.6_64 and Wireless_15.6_Ds64.

I have brand new Sager NP9130 Windows 7 PRO 64bit.

Please advise how can i install 15.6 drivers properly, cause every time when I uninstall current drivers and use the provided by you .exe files I get no higher than 15.4.0.11. Let me know if there is any data I can provide you with.

As for everyone else, I suggest to start posting as much as you can and push Intel to fix this issue. There hasn't been that much activity on this thread but recently it looks like we are getting at least some attention.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
etaus
Novice

Joe,

A brand new Samsung NP530U4C and the same results as in Dex Tsarll message. Don't you think that something is smelling bad with all this postings ? Don't we deserve some respect, first acknowledging the problem, second indicating what you are doing to fix it and finally, apologizing ??????

0 Kudos
SDunb1
Beginner

I am also having the same behavior as the two people above me. That is, when I install the driver that has been linked (after uninstalling older drivers), only version 15.4.0.11 appears to have been installed according to Device Manager properties.

As for tangible results: On speedtest.net, wired I received scores of 70 down, 69 up. Wireless on with those driver on WiFi G, upload and down of 12Mbps. Wireless on N, upload of .65, down of 12 but with only a 1 second spike of 50, with the rest of the time nothing happening.

After a bit of runaround, I finally got Windows Devices to recognize the updated 15.6 driver. Same results as above.

Further edit: I have found that on the 5.0 Ghz band, the speeds increase up to 20 down and 25 up. Disabling bluetooth has helped somewhat but still has the few-second disconnects (but is generally faster).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Joe..... WTF????

at the risk off being rude, your response is ignorant and arragant!!!! your wifi cards are simply not fit for purpose!!!

as per my previous post, the computer manufacters affected by your poor product include some of the best in the world!!! are you seriously expecting us all to take this problem to Samsung, Sony, Dell XP, HP and Asus to name just a few of the high end manufactures that have been embarrassed by using your inferior device.

I think we have all been very patient in waiting for some support and sensible information from intel but to date the support standard has been nothing more than a brush off!!!!

I am not waiting any longer, i am going to commence writing about this blatant disregard to customer satisfaction and referencing to this thread to every PC, computer, tech magazine and online sites as i can find.

my laptop is going back to be exchanged for anything that does not contain an intel chipset of any sort!!!

many thanks for nothing!!!! you bunch of fools

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The boss just purchased a Samsung T700 with Windows 8 64bit with this card in it and was having these same issues. I tried everything suggested here and as a last ditch effort tried rolling back the driver to Intel Driver Version 15.5.0.42 dated 2012-08-07. So far so good, we've been connected now for an hour without dropping connection. N-mode has been re-enabled and still going strong

Hope this helps someone!!

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

After being in contact with Samsung they do acknowledge there is an INTEL issue with the 6235 WiFi chipset, they have not informed me what they will do about it however. Is it to much to ask for a $1200 laptop to work out of the box? Everything Samsung works fine, the Intel parts are the issue. Still no word back from Intel either and you can't escalate anything to them. Broadcom looks better and better.

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

Finally got someone at Intel and this is what they said... LOL

On this case we would recommend you installing latest drivers for the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235. Those drivers can be downloaded from the Intel(R) Download Center. Please note that these drivers provided on Intel® Download Center are the generic versions. Intel also recommends that you obtain and use the software provided via your laptop manufacturer as per the OEM agreement that Intel has with Samsung*.

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

Please also note that software issues are usually solved installing latest drivers fro the adapter. In case if the issues persist this may indicate that there is a possible hardware failure on the card and therefore would need to be replaced.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

For what it is worth... I am prone to think that it is a combination of hardware and software problems.

I have solved my problem as such:

1. Clean install of win8 pro x64 on my asus ux31a touch

2. Disabled automatic driver updates (automatic windows updates)

3. I am currently using the generic MS drivers (native to windows) and MS bluetooth stack

This is what I have observed:

On 2.4ghz N connection... my data caps out at ~135mbps, but zero dropouts.

On 5ghz N connection... data caps out at 300mbps and zero drop outs.

I think the issues is either with the 2.4ghz radio or the software stack that operates it.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please accept our apologies for this issue and also for my lack of explanation regarding my previous statement.

We have already escalated this issue so our developers will work on it; however, we also recommended to escalate it through the O.E.M. since the integration of the wireless adapter is validated by the computer manufacturer in order to comply with FCC regulations (as indicated at the beginning of this thread or also here: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-011644.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-011644.htm ). This is the reason why the O.E.M. should be the first support channel for Intel® wireless adapters.

Regarding the driver version results from device manager (found by DexsTarII and elias) the version 15.4 is expected for Windows 7. The version number shown in device manager will vary depending on the adapter model and operating system version. For example, if we have the same Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 and Windows 8 the version should be 15.6 and the corresponding one for Windows* XP is 15.3. So, this is normal behavior when you install Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software version 15.6.

We appreciate your patience as well as the valuable information or solutions posted.

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

It's not the OEM's fault they got a defective product to integrate with their product, obviously it should have been QA'd more before it was released for sale but it's not a Samsung issue. Are you going to let all of us know directly when the issue has been fixed? It almost seems as though it's a power issue as when the card starts to really fail is when you are using a higher amount of bandwidth. When that happens the RSSI and DB both go down and then although it stays connected it loses the ability to decode from any WPA/WPA2 device. On an unprotected connection, there are still WiFi power output issues but no timing out.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Joe,

Thanks for an explanation behind driver version. It makes sense. Now if you

can fix this issue it would be great. I personally don't think this is a

hardware issue (or at least not a hardware issue on the machines mentioned in

this thread). It is not right to think that so many malfunctioned Intel

Centrino cards would be sent out to all these different manufactures. You have

to agree that this thread is getting longer by the day and all these users have

brand new stations.

Guys...Please keep posting and keeping this thread alive. It looks like

Intel noticed us. Now, our objective should be to get this thread large enough

so the rest of the media notices it as well. I would love nothing more than to

read about this issue in future news. If we make this thread large enough media

will notice and Intel will suffer a nice blow below the belt.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

My intention is not to hurt a company in the pocket book but simply fix a production mistake that should never have happened. It's not good going to sites and while updating software on devices your Intel Wifi card decides it wants to stop transmitting encrypted data. From a background in digital electronics the issue with the signal dropping off, does look like a power issue. Whether that's a software issue in the firmware, the driver or the card itself chances are we won't know.. They will just release an update. However since these are brand new Laptops I don't want to send them back to get refurbished ones in their place.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Boz,

At this point it looks like if we won't try to hurt this company's

reputation, they most likely will never fix this issue. I personally is fine

running on G. I have no issues running on G. My internet circuit is only 10mb

down and 54mb is sufficient enough for my LAN connection. I can see myself

running on G for a while...Now, it certainly does defeat the whole point of

even buying this card. I personally spent extra money to get my WIFI card

upgraded to this...I just want people to know about this issue and go with a

different manufacturer.

What I don't understand now is that at first Joe said that issue was fixed.

Now he is saying that Intel is aware of the issue and escalating. If you guys

really want this fixed I can tell you right now that it will take Intel another

several months before next driver update and even after that update it is not guaranteed

that everything will be working. If you use this card for work I suggest

switching the card to a different brand or sending your laptop back...

Keep posting guys.

FYI. Reinstalling windows and running on raw Windows stack drivers didn't

resolve this issue for me and I refuse to format my PC again. Drivers that came

with my laptop doesn't work neither.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I found this thread after I began having issues with the wireless network adapter on my Samsung Ativ Smart PC Pro 700T Windows 8 tablet, which I had purchased in November 2012. I had not had any problems since I had purchased it until after I had installed the program from Samsung's driver page for my machine called "Software Update." This is a utility that allows you to update and install drivers and software for devices in the tablet, including the driver for the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235, which appears to be the specific issue. The problem I am having is exactly as many other people on this thread have described: The adapter disconnects from the router sporadically, particularly when streaming data, such as a YouTube video. I believe this is most certainly a driver issue, since the issue did not surface until after updating the driver using the Samsung Software utility. From reading the discussion on the thread, it seems that it may be possible that the wifi radio is somehow conflicting with another device on the board, but either way, for the issue to be resolved, Intel needs to provide an updated driver that resolves the issue, perhaps collaborating with OEM's to determine what the specific issue is. I am providing my information here in the hopes that it can help isolate the problem. Again, for months I had no issue, using the drivers that were installed when I purchased the tablet, which I assume were Microsoft-provided drivers, since I bought it at a Microsoft store, and I understand they install their own software on OEM machines. I would roll back the driver to the Microsoft one, but I recently purchased a WiDi adapter for my television for use with my tablet, and the Microsoft drivers do not support it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Rolling the driver back to 15.5.0.42 solved the issue on a Samsung Chronos 7 NP700Z3C. Defective version was: 15.6.1.20.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I was having this exact same issue with a laptop i purchased last week. I have been on the verge of Smash City since i have bought this, BUT. Rolling my driver back to 15.5.0.42 also worked for me on Samsung Chronos 7 NP700Z5C running Windows 8x64bit. It was dropping out every 2-3 minutes before the roll back, but now has been downloading a 4.4gb file for 25 min at 1.3-1.7Mb/s . not the fastest, but it does seem stable.

It is unfortunate that this issue has yet to be addressed with a solution by Intel. Alot of people pay hard earned money to purchase your products. The least you can do is provide a stable and functioning End-User experience.

Thanks.

I will keep everyone posted on whether or not this remains a workable fix.

0 Kudos