Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7725 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
HChen79
Beginner

I got a brand new Samsung NP 730 U3E 2 days ago and had the wifi limited connectivity problem. It sometimes even drops connection every 30 seconds or so. My firmware was 15.6.1.20 and I have updated the firmware of my wireless router, set the channel with least interference, changed power setting and so on, but nothing solved the problem...

I'm now on microsoft driver and the connection seems to be stable for around 30 mins already, hope wifi can remain stable and Intel need to find a way to solve the problem

0 Kudos
HChen79
Beginner

Oh forgot to mention, I returned my first Samsung due to the internet connectivity problem, only to find the second one has exactly the same problem...

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

If you find instability on the Windows driver just turn off N. This fixed the problem for WIFI base stations that the card doesn't like e.g. I have a 3Com and a Cisco AP at home and the Windows drivers would run N on the original drivers but the card hated TP Link for some reason and would drop all the time. Disable N and crank up the power and you can get away with it.

C-

0 Kudos
HChen79
Beginner

I haven't disabled n but It looks pretty stable for my case now, I have run the computer for 7 hours now after rolling back to microsoft driver, the network hasn't dropped once, I'll keep my fingers crossed

0 Kudos
TGnie
Beginner

Would try MS driver, but cannot find it anywhere . My Windows doesn't have it . Can anyone suggest where to find MS driver?

What a crap card.

0 Kudos
HChen79
Beginner

I clicked roll back driver at the wifi adapter configuration

0 Kudos
TGnie
Beginner

That may work for some of users. For me I cannot rollback, there is last intel driver and then nothing and system reports no driver installed. Can anyone post link to MS driver location if any exist?

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

To get back to the MS drivers you use the driver tab in the network card properties. There you have the option to 'delete' the drivers installed (a tick box) and once done, on reboot Windows will discover the card and use its original drivers. It took me 3 times as each time I deleted the drivers it would rollback to a previous Intel driver until all the Intel drivers were deleted off the machine. Note this is for Windows 8 x64. Not sure on Windows 7 through.

I found the same with the Broadcom card I replaced the Intel for. On install of the Broadcom card Windows found the hardware but did not seem to install the drivers. Another reboot and Windows was happy so maybe a few reboots once you 'delete' all the lame intel drivers is needed. What I did find was Broadcom themselves don't ship WiFi drivers so you have to use the native windows ones. I had to work this out for myself. Broadcom does however offer Bluetooth drivers on their Broadcom website which you'll need to download if you go down the Broadcom road. Must say the Broadcom card works a treat for both WiFi and Bluetooth! It's a pity Intel can't seem to do the same.

C-

0 Kudos
MH7
Beginner

@Tomasz: Try following these steps I posted a while back.

/message/198461# 198461 https://communities.intel.com/message/198461# 198461

Make sure to uninstall the driver NOT rollback! And also to check "Delete the driver software for this device"

I've been on the windows driver for 3 weeks now and have had no issues at all.

0 Kudos
SPale
Beginner

Please guys, don't assume that microsoft drive works well.... if you're using for navigate or stream, it works well because the package loss is negligible, but if you're playing online games, may see that the wifi card have problem.

So, don't assume that microsoft drive works, otherwise the Intel will assume this too.

0 Kudos
PLEUN2
Beginner

I am also experiencing issues with my Samsung ATIV 700t with the Intel 6235 adapter. I never really noticed any issues until I began traveling with my 700t. On Southwest Airlines flights, I had issues with the adapter holding a connection with the router. I thought for awhile it might of been Southwest's connection since in-flight wi-fi is not always reliable. However, this kept happening on every flight, so as a test I connected to the onboard wi-fi with my Samsung GS4 mobile phone and the connection was great! No problems with my HP 8460 laptop either.

I disabled the wireless-N setting as suggested on the 6235 and it seems to be able to hold the connection -- pages actually load now using the Southwest in-flight wi-fi! I haven't tested the connection speeds but it does feel a little slow still. The adapter connects fine at home to my ASUS RTN-56U router and AP. This seems like just a workaround.... Really disappointed with Intel....

FYI... I am on the latest drivers 15.8.0.5, Windows 8 64-bit.

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

Like others, I'm also having this problem with the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200 on Windows 8. Disabling Wireless-N Mode helps, but is not really acceptable as a permanent solution.

For those looking for the Microsoft driver, try checking http://catalog.update.microsoft.com http://catalog.update.microsoft.com. You will need to use Internet Explorer to use the site, but you can search for and download any driver that Microsoft has certified.

Unfortunately for me, they do not have a Wireless-N 2200 driver.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We are still reviewing your input through the https://supportmail.intel.com/scripts-emf/welcome.aspx?id=1783 e-mail form and we are working to get a fix out as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
ANarb
Novice

I too am having this same problem on my Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 but my sporadic connection happens when I set "802.11n Channel Width for Band 2.4" from 20 MHz to Auto. When it's 20 MHz only my connection is stable and I can go online fine but once I change the signal to Auto it is like a roller coaster and many disconnections happen.

0 Kudos
HChen79
Beginner

Just to update, I installed windows 8.1 and the newest intel 15.8.0 firmware, the wifi adapter seems to be working fine now...

0 Kudos
JGuzi1
Beginner

This is my first post so Hi everybody,

I got this issue with my Samsung NP550P5C-S04PL and Centrino 6235. Drivers removed back to original Microsoft 14..... Installed 15.8.0.5 directly from Intel page and from SW Update without luck. Link is lost about 5-7 times in hour. Also used several ideas from this topic with no success. Computer with atheros chip works great in the same time so this is not a problem with other stuff like router etc. Already reported issue with Intel form and Samsung support. I understand that this is OEM so first is Samsung then Intel. But realy if solution not came in 2 months i will return my laptop to Samsung.

Dear Intel where is the solution ?

0 Kudos
JYap3
Beginner

Hi,

I have sent back to Samsung, however testing the Wifi at their site could not detect any issue.

Only when I brought it back, then after like 10-15 minutes of usage, then the internet issue happen again.

Please assist on how I can report such sporadic cases to Samsung as it don't happen all the time.

0 Kudos
JGuzi1
Beginner

This is classical way to slow down your reclamation process, you must to be precise and test environment at least twice. According to last 44 pages of this topic most of issues show up in 2,4 N WiFi networks on wide range of drivers (including newest). This topic should be the best way to prove Samsung support that your problem is not separate problem.

Someone can say that we are on some kind of global psychosis about centrino chips, but there is already a mass of input including testing tools installed on users computers! (this action was finished more than 2 months ago - you can read about this in previous posts)

I'm afraid this is not only driver issue but also hardware problem thats why it is not resolved yet.

Come one Intel - be responsible !

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Intel is aware of end-user issues reports of connection instability (connection drops, applications hang, etc.) with certain wireless adapters using 15.x software with Windows 8 operating system. Recent software releases have included corrections for several issues, but not all. Intel has identified a problem that is believed to be a major contributor to the issues and has a correction in development – this correction is planned to be available before the end of Q3.

0 Kudos
TBela
Beginner

Thanks for the update Joe. I certainly appreciate that you guys have taken steps towards fixing this issue. Will these fixes be applied to the windows 7 driver set as well?

0 Kudos
eruss1
Beginner

Please take note a lot of users have reported problems using 15.x software with Windows 7 too.

0 Kudos