Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7457 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
tpavi
Beginner

I can't manage to go back to an old driver, even when I uninstal the card and Windows reinstal it by himself on the restart of my computer, it seems to be already and Intel faulty driver.

Do you guys have an idea where I could download the proper windows driver (can't find it on Intel website) and then force this one to be installed?

Thank you in advance.

For the record, by tweaking a lot the advanced settings, the bluetooth settings etc. as mentionned in several posts, I did managed to get the card to work properly for several days. Then out of nowhere, problems were back again!

0 Kudos
mcone
Novice

Hi,

Having spent hours over the last year thinking that I had awful broadband problems the penny finally dropped and I realised that the problem was with my computer. After a net search I finally found this thread and realised where the problem lay, bl**dy Centrino 6235.

On many occasions I have been on the point of throwing my Samsung series 5 ultra out of the window, the only thing that stopped me was the cost of window repair and the hassle of setting up another laptop to my requirements!! I am not into pulling laptops apart, more used to large farm machinery, but needs must as last resort.

Ordered two new cards in the internet that were suggested on here. Sods law the first card I tried a Broadcom BCM943228 did not work however I then tried the Broadcom BCM94313HMGB and haypresto away we go, drivers all load up automatically and away we go, the best £ 8.85 iv'e ever spent. The Laptop has not dropped the signal or slowed to a grinding halt since, have not rebooted the router once instead of 10 times per day - Magic.

You need a bit of nerve to pull a laptop apart for the first time but watch one or two youtube videos and it's not hard, just don't use a hammer!!

PXu4
Beginner

Hi guys just wanted to post my experience.

Bought a Samsung Ativ SmartPC Pro 700t about 2 months ago. It came preinstalled with the 6235 wifi card of course and Windows 8. Started noticing wifi problems after a couple days after ruling out my router. Constant dropouts and disconnects as I sure u all have experienced. Came upon this forum and it was suggested to disable Wireless-N which I did. Did not have as many issues as before but did notice there was a dramatic decrease in speed, around 1/4 of what I was getting with N enabled, and from time to time I would still disconnect for no reason. The problem was still there apparently.

Not being satisfied with this I decided to buy a USB wifi dongle. I purchased a cheap one (Edimax EW-7811Un) online but for some reason it didn't work correctly no matter what I did. Maybe it was because I was on Windows 8 but who knows. I was getting terrible speeds and it was still disconnecting so obviously this wasn't the solution.

The solution for me came when I read wolly1's post and he suggested replacing the wifi card entirely with the Broadcom BCM94313HMGB. At this point I was willing to try it if it meant no more headaches. The one I purchased was from Amazon for around $10 US, but I'm sure the one's on ebay work fine as well. The card came in two weeks ago and after watching some youtube videos on how to open up my laptop I was able to replace the card without too much hassle. Turning on my laptop I just let Microsoft install their stock wifi drivers, which I found to work the best, and two weeks later here I am with no reported wifi issues of any sort since that day.

Some disclaimers though. I'm only getting about 2/3 of the maximum speed I had before with the 6235 card but it's a steady 2/3 unlike the 6235. There is no widi so if you were using that before it's gone now. Bluetooth seems to work fine but I only tried it a couple times then disabled it as I don't use bluetooth often.

I just wanted to post this here as I will no longer be visiting this forum and it might help someone in making a decision as to what to do. This problem has persisted for over a year and Intel has done nothing so I suggest you stop trying to fix what's broken and just replace the damn thing, if you have the money/time, and save yourself all the headache. Thanks to wolly1 for the idea and for trying it first. Other people may have other solutions but this is the one that worked for me.

TLDR:

Bought laptop with 6235 card and had issues like everyone here.

Tried adjusting settings but the problem persisted.

Bought a USB wifi dongle but didn't work for me for some reason.

Bought Broadcom BCM94313HMGB wifi card for around $10 US and replaced the 6235 card.

No wifi issues for the past two weeks.

0 Kudos
LMore3
Beginner

I also changed out my 6235 card for a Broadcom BCM943228HMB shortly after my last post and I have been trouble free since.

0 Kudos
OPaz1
Novice

Thank you for your valuable input. I am expecting my Broadcom Card in the mail any day now, but I will continue to raise hell. Intel shouldn't be getting away with this.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We are looking for more volunteers willing to assist testing and debugging drivers. The people who would like to help with this task must be using our latest driver (15.10.3.2 for Windows* 8/8.1) and still have connection drops. Please note the following considerations:

• Be a technical savvy person in wireless networking.
  • Be willing to install/uninstall drivers and provide feedback.
  • Have software skills. If possible, knowledgeable in software debugging.
  • Be located within the United States (Portland, Oregon is a plus).
  • Intel® wireless adapter must be preinstalled by the system manufacturer.

In order to participate please send me a private message.

0 Kudos
AAham2
Beginner

Joe,

Count me in volunteers, contact me as needed.

0 Kudos
sshoj1
Beginner

I'm so frustrated with this intel card. It has made my laptop unusable. I've bought a brand new samsung ativ book 8 and it has cost me $1600. My old laptops that I bought for $500 work perfectly. This is getting ridiculous, no one can help me out. I have tried everything suggested on every forum. I call samsung and they run me through their stupid troubleshoot process which is comprised of resetting the wireless card and that's it. Then they refer me to repair center and they say the laptop is fine but when I get home all my other wireless devices work except my laptop with the intel card. I can't take this anymore, why don't you guys just admit that the card is flawed and issue a recall and replace the cards with a different model. I will never buy a laptop with a intel card and will tell everyone I meet not to buy one. I'm also very disappointed with samsung, no one wants to take responsibility.

0 Kudos
RGood5
Beginner

I too have sporadic dropouts of my WiFi. The yellow "!" appears over the signal strength indicator in the system tray and the connection indicates it is "Limited". It happens 1-3 times per day (often when I am at work). Sometimes right clicking and running the auto diagnose and repair fixes the issue (it appears it is reseting the wireless card). When that does not work, I usually either try disabling/enabling the device in device manager, or as a last resort, rebooting - which usually works. System details are below.

I do suspect the problem comes from an interaction between my wireless router and the 6235 wireless card. My router may be one of those "Pre-N" routers (its ~3 years old, probably the model itself is ~4 yrs old). I have detailed all the routers settings below as well. I do suspect that if I upgraded the router the problem may go away.

I have tried a few othe the fixes mentioned here. I dont consider disabling -N an option, as that puts the connection slower than my ISP, plus I do move around files on the network and having b/g only seems to result in an even slower actual speed than then connection speed of 54 Mbps in my case.

I'd also prefer not to use wireless drivers from Microsoft, and although some posters have reported positive results, there were also hints of other issues that came up in some posts, plus some features may not be supported.

The settings below are going to be my baseline test for the next few days. If my wife/daughter/mother-in-law report a problem in the next few days, I can say for sure this "baseline" configuration is a problem, then tweak (one thing at a time) from there.

System

Intel® NUC Kit D54250WYK (core I5-4250U)

8 GB Memory

240 GB Intel SSD

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235

Windows 8.1 PRO 64bit (kept up to date)

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235 - Driver (Driver only; elected not to install full PROset)

Driver Provider: Intel

Driver Date: 9/23/2013

Driver Version: 15.10.4.2

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235 - Power Management

Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power: checked

Allow this device tp wake the computer: unchecked

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235 - Properties (should be the defaults) 

802 11n Channel Width for band 2.4: 20 MHz Only

802 11n Channel Width for band 5.2: Auto

802.11n Mode: Enabled

Ad Hoc Channel 802 11b/g: 11

Ad Hoc QoS Mode: WMM Disabled

ARP offload for WoWLAN: Enabled

Bluetooth(R) AMP: Enabled

Fat Channel Intolerant: Disabled

GTK rekeying for WoWLAN: Enabled

Mixed mode Protection: CTS-to-self Enabled

NS offload for WoWLAN: Enabled

Preferred Band: 1. No Preference

Roaming Aggressiveness: 3. Medium

Sleep on WoWLAN Disconnect: Disabled

Transmit Power: 5. Highest

Wake on Magic Packet: Enabled

Wake on Pattern Match: Enabled

Wireless Mode: 6. 802.11 a/b/g

Primary Wireless Router (connects/looses connection to this) 

Model: Netgear WNDR3700v3

Firmware Version: V1.0.0.36_1.0.30 (latest)

Wireless settings are after resetting router to factory defaults, then setting up from scratch. Only changes from default were setting up the SSID's for the primary 2.4/5.2 and guest 2.4/5.2 networks, setting up security and changing the router password.

Wireless Setup: Wireless Network (2.4GHz b/g/n)  

Channel: Auto

Mode: Up to 145 Mbps

Security Options: WPA2-PSK [AES]

Wireless Setup: Wireless Network (5GHz a/n)  

Channel: 153

Mode: Up to 300 Mbps

Security Options: WPA2-PSK [AES]

Wireless Advanced Settings (2.4GHz b/g/n) 

Enable Wireless Router Radio: Checked

Enable 20/40Hz Coexistence: Checked

Fragmentation Length (256-2346): 2346

CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347): 2347

Preamble Mode: Long Preamble

Wireless Advanced Settings (5GHz a/n) 

Enable Wireless Router Radio: Checked

Preamble Mode: Long Preamble

Secondary AP (router with DHCP set to off, acts as AP only) 

Model Netgear WNR3500

Wireless Router Settings

Name (SSID) : Same as primary router

Channel: Auto

Mode: Up to 300 Mbps

Preamble Mode: Long Preamble (default is Auto)

Network Misc: We have many wireless devices connecting to the primary router and the secondary router that is configured as a AP. This includes 3 thermostats, 3 phones, 2 tablets, 2 kindles, 1 ipod, 1 Logitech WiFi Radio, 2 laptops and the NUC.

0 Kudos
CJone15
Beginner

That's great to hear goodwin - really looking forward to hearing about your results! I too have the D54250WYK, and have defaulted to using USB Wireless-N as a replacement.

0 Kudos
RGood5
Beginner

Hi jonesyboy. I was tempted to go the route of a USB wifi solution too, but I really just want to solve this. Reading the thread yesterday just gave me more resolve.

My hypothesis is that there is some setting that will work for my specific router (and possibly others that have the same issue). It may be that the default settings don't work well for all routers. That may pose a challenge for notebook users that hop around on various wifi hotspots. Some posters have mentioned it works fine on some networks, but experiences dropouts on others. Maybe there is a more conservative set of settings (other than completely disabling -N, which seems to have worked for some users) that works more generally across the most common routers, but sacrifices some speed. Channel width? long or short preamble? I don't know enough about these and other to understand if they may could contribute to the problem.

Can you share what model router you are using, the firmware and the wireless settings from the routers admin page? Any other information that you think could be useful? I really think that data would help.

So far, although it has only been about 24 hours, there have been no reported dropouts from my family that use this PC more than I. I've transferred a few 1-2 GB files to test to - no dropouts out. However, the very nature of this problem has been that it is sporadic.

I did notice that I had set the 6235 card to prefer 5.2 GHz band, which was not the default. So just now, I set the preferred Band back to "No Preference" tonight. The NUC may have been be the only device on the 5.2 GHz band - maybe that kept it stable for 24 hours? On 5.2 GHz, I did get a very fast wireless connection. Connected at 300 Mbps, with files transferring at 120 Mbps.

The complete reset of my router may have also influenced this problem. Either way, I do think more time is needed before I can make any conclusion.

0 Kudos
CJone15
Beginner

Sure mate, I have Telstra branded Technicolor TG587n. This is a 2.4GHz only gateway.

I still get failure with N disabled.

Default settings with sporadic failure:

2.4GHz

WPA2-AES

Channel 1

Channel Width 20MHz

Haven't tested any other settings yet.

0 Kudos
RGood5
Beginner

Hi jonesyboy,

From your written accent (and that it was Telstra), I assume you are from Australia? That could be important too, as one of the earlier posts was specifically asking for region information. Some wireless standards are different in different countries, so settings on a common model of router or gateway may be different when sold in different markets.

Does this look like your gateway? (it should open a .pdf)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CFcQFjAE&url=http://www.technicolorbroadbandpartner.com/getfile.php%3Fid%3D7600&ei=_BuxUvuEJ-mIyAHsuYDwAg&usg=AFQjCNEZ2MFSz9WzVtkM_o3ErpxX3wTBhA&sig2=JvhPdCMiprTR2OoyYXt-JQ http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CFcQFjAE&url=http://www.technicolorbroadbandpartner.com/getfile.php%3Fid%3D7600&ei=_BuxUvuEJ-mIyAHsuYDwAg&usg=AFQjCNEZ2MFSz9WzVtkM_o3ErpxX3wTBhA&sig2=JvhPdCMiprTR2OoyYXt-JQ

The manual did not have many details on options for settings. It did recommend to connect "only "n" devices.

Some other information (in addition to a deep dive in your routers settings) may be to describe your wireless environment. How many devices connect to this gateway? What types of devices (and what type on wireless capability do they have?) . Do you have many neighbors with wifi too (i.e. when you connect a computer or wireless device, does it see many other connections in the list of available connections?).

There are a few android apps (and probably iPhone, etc) that can list out all the wifi access points that is sees and channels and signal strengths. I have "wifi analyzer" on my android phone. You may want log into your gateway and change the channel to one less crowded (or "auto") if that is available.

Since your access point only supports 2.4 GHz wireless N, You may want to try and change the 6235 settings to 2.4 GHz preferred (see below).

I am on day 2 of no drop outs, although that is good, I am still thinking it needs more time. I am actually hoping for a drop out so I can see if windows logs catches anything or I can then change one setting (at a time) and see if the problem goes away .

Cheers... mate

0 Kudos
RGood5
Beginner

Connection Dropout!

With the exact settings for the wireless card and router settings as in post 964, I had the first dropout today (5 days after I reset everything to defaults on the card and the router). I did capture screenshots while in the dropout state, while repairing and windows event logs that looked relevant.

symptom was the same as before. Yellow explanation point "!" over the signal strength tray icon when clicked, displays only one connection (even though more should be shown) with "limited" sub text.

Checking the status and wifi properties of the connection while it was still "Limited" with yellow !:

right clicking on signal strength to troubleshoot problems lead to "Reset the "Wi-Fi" adapter" :

which successfully resolved the problem (this time, past experience is that this does not always work)

After the wi-fi adapter was reset, it connected back to the router, and all other network connections were viewable:

Digging into the logs, there were a few events that looked relevant and occurred near the time I think the dropout occurred..

After connecting, I see this in the log:

I hope this is useful information for the team that is investigating this.

My next plan is to try these settings for a week.

Preferred Band: 1. Prefer 5.2 GHz band (have it try staying connected to only one band?)

Roaming Aggressiveness: 1. Lowest (it is a fixed location computer - no need for it to hunt for other networks)

All the rest the same.

0 Kudos
RGood5
Beginner

just noticed new driver version was posted yesterday. Decided to install the new one. Note that the tweaked changes I made in the previous post were still there when I installed this new version. To get the default settings of the new driver, I had to uninstall and check the box "delete the driver software for this device". Then install the new one.

So I will test with this driver - all default settings (no tweaked settings) and see how it goes.

0 Kudos
CJone15
Beginner

Hi goodwin,

I haven't had a chance to do some testing. Just wanted to say your through approach to this is impressive - great work. I'll have some tinkering time over the weekend and let you know how I go. Keen to try the new driver too.

0 Kudos
RGood5
Beginner

Well, I came home to another dropout today. In fact, I think it occurred only hour after I installed the latest driver (the previous night) and I just did not notice it (the rest of my family did - came home to my wife saying "the computer had no internet all day"). Here's the screen shot. Looks like the errors started occurring about 1 hour after I installed the driver last night.

Right clicking and running the troubleshooter fixed the problem (although it seemed to find some other things too and I did not capture all the messages).

I really do want to get this to work - because when it works, it is fast! Checkout the transfer times I was getting on a large file. 130 Mbps. Yesterday, I was getting 200 Mbps right after installing the new driver.

I'm going to uninstall the driver and re-install the version with PROset. I'll keep the default settings until it happens again, then start tweaking settings, then start disabling bands - either on the card or on my router (or both).

0 Kudos
NMgee
Beginner

The new driver did not fix the problem on Windows 7. The documentation

indicates the problem is fixed for certain wireless adapters with Windows 7 but not the

If this is a _firmware_ fix then is there a way to install a firmware update on

the device and not mess with the driver? Or maybe the firmware only fixes

the problem for WIndows 8??

0 Kudos
KKlov
New Contributor I

ATM I'm running on v15.10.3.2 (pre-installed with W8.1, only driver, no PRO BS) and currently doing fine. The good thing about W8.1 is that you can start WiDi without having the stupid PRO set for Intel. However WiDi is not lag free, and it's just enough annyoing that I use my HDMI cable instead. Hopefully it will get better in the future without having the need of PRO set software which is creating bigger problems.

If you have W8.1 simply go to devices and project then choose WiDi, just make sure to remove your intel software for the network card. It might even work on W8 for all I know..

0 Kudos
NNorm1
Beginner

It seems to be that this instability is not just caused by drivers but UPnP being apparently overwhelmed back at the router by something that must newly be going on in the Windows 8.1 networking stack and/or Intel drivers since the (universally acclaimed to be stable) driver version 14.8.8.75.

Woody over at http://woodygems.com http://woodygems.com has done some testing and has discovered that the UPnP implementation on some routers/firmware seems to be the actual problem (not the driver) and has identified 3 routers so far which, when UPnP is turned off, this symptom goes away.

[I note that Woody has also discovered that Intel Centrino WiFi does NOT drop out (whatever the driver version) when connected to a Netgear DG834G]

0 Kudos
mcone
Novice

I am sorry, but if you read my problems for one whole year with this wireless card, the router I was using was a Netgear dg834g and it would lose connection anywhere up to 10 times a day with my centrino 6235.. Believe me I tried everything with this card and in the end took better advice and ripped it out and replaced with a Broadcom card. You are wasting your time messing with drivers and routers the problem is far more fundamental. It would have been solved by now if it was that simple. Now after a full month I have not lost connection or slowed ONCE.

0 Kudos