Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7479 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
idata
Employee

@stark

what kind of security do you have in the problem network? I had the biggest problems with my university EAP network with my WAP2 home network it wasn't any problems left after the second device -.-

did you try out other networks too?

did you use samsung SW updater only or have you tried out the intel drivers from the page directly? with the ones from the intel page i made worse experiences . on my latest device i just used samsung builds. i have resettet all modifications (the energymode and nmode to start configuration). the only thing i did not change was the frequency for 2.4 i have left on auto.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@Piranha16

My security setting is WPA2-PSK.

I don't think the security setting is the problem, because I have no problems with "N" off (and WPA2-PSK). I could try with "N" on and no security setting, to check whether the fault is in security part.

At the moment I use only my private network (2.4 GHz). I'll try out other network in the next days.

I tried the drivers from Intel website and from the Samsung SW Updater. Now I'm back to Samsung SW Updater.

Router is NETGEAR DGN1000 with latest update.

Hope Intel can narrow down the problem with all the feedbacks here and a driver update will come in near future. For the moment I can/have to live with "N" off...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

the drivers from the intel website caused my tablet sometimes bluescreens --> driver failure..

maybe try to deinstall the intel software and clean up the registry before you install it again from samsung SW and deactivate the intel Stuff in the autostart.

Important don't forget to deactivate and reactivate the adapter too.

Maybe consider to exchange the adapter by samsung if it's not working in other networkes too. Good Luck!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello @Intel, and others,

I tried the following. Now I have no any problems and internet speed is amazing. I have the 2230 intel network card and WPA2 security and N. I copied 9.5GB without any problems. Before no more that 100MB

All other solutions above didn't work for me at all, even with the latest Intel driver from 21-3-2013.

Have fun and let us know!

i. Click Start and type services.msc in the search box

ii. Search for Computer Browser

iii. Set the service to automatic

Steps to set the services to automatic

a. Search for the service (Computer Browser)

b. Right click on the service

c. If the service is stopped then Start the service

d. Select Properties

e. And in the Start-up type select Automatic

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I think I've sorted out my sporadic dropouts but now have a new one. As per my previous posts, I have a Samsung NP900X3D-A01 (upgraded to Windows 8) and a Billion 7800N modem/router.

Everything in this thread was tried and I also worked with Dale from Intel in trying to sort this out.....nothing worked except for setting it to Wireless G mode only.

I decided to buy a new modem a few weeks ago and purchased a Billion 7800NXL as I my original one was around 4 years old when wireless N was still a 'draft'. I have not had the sporadic dropouts while on wireless N mode since the upgrade.

However my only issue now is that, when the computer comes out of resume/sleep the wireless network has limited connectivity. From resume/sleep, the network card will show it as connected, but there is no network connectivity, it will then show limited connectivity with absolutely no network connectivity. I'm still trying to fix this.

I traded one problem for another, but at least I have a stable wireless N connection.

Also purchasing new hardware isn't the solution!

0 Kudos
AAlbr
Novice

Like post .315, turning off and disabling all the Intel services in services.msc appears to be working for me so far. Only been about an hour but no connection drop. Also, the machine had come out of sleep which usually kills the wifi till I reboot.

Will keep on with the laptop all evening and see how it behaves. I am of the perception that the 15.6.1 driver is a big improvement

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We are still investigating the possible roots of the issues some of you are experiencing. As you might know many problems were fixed with the release of the latest drivers but some customers are still reporting similar issues with different behaviors.

We are actively monitoring this forum and working with engineering to address all the issues you have.

Thank you for your comprehension.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have upgraded my Wireless card with the 15.6.1 driver. My dropout problems decreased considerably, however it hasn't gone completely. I am still experiencing Wireless strenght drops from time to time, especially when I VISIT www.tumblr.com. This is interesting. Two out of my three visits to this particular web site have caused my wireless strength dropped from 5 bars to 2 bars. I hope it means something to you Intel guys in your efforts to solve this problem, cause it didn't to me.

(Samsung NP900X4D-A02TR)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Guys just read Post Nr. 315 from me it's probably the solution

• Any Intel adapter
  • Any Windows
  • Any Driver version

--> Just deactivate all Intel Programms from the autostart and give it a try.

(You don't need to uninstall anything)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just joined up to add to this. I've just purchased 6x Intel NUC's and have put this Intel 6235 card in all. I use them as kiosks with no keyboard/mouse. I remote into them when needed. A week after installing, I could not believe the amount of "dropouts", then I've stumbled across this thread. Good to know I'm not alone.

Thanks to those who have suggested putting on 15.1.1. and turning N off, It does seem to help. However it is still no permanent fix.

To Intel who say they are monitoring this thread - I've noticed in the Event Log the following occurs when it disconnects. I'm constantly pinging my 6x NUC's and know exactly when they drop off.

Event 5007, NETwNs64 

The description for Event ID 5007 from source NETwNs64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP23

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

Hope this helps expedite this issue to a full resolution. A couple more weeks of this and I'll be ripping them all out and sending them back as this is simply unacceptable.

Also this thread needs to be marked as unresolved as your resolved post of "OEM install only" crap is simply insulting to the OP and to everyone else who is unfortunate to own this piece of hardware.

• Intel NUC DC3217IYE (BIOS=GK0040)
  • Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Mini PCI Express
  • Windows 7 SP1 x64 
  • Connected to Netgear WN802T v2 - V3.1.12 
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Purchased a Sony Duo 11 last November thinking it would be the dogs! its a great device, but the wifi is truly awful. My old Sony Vaio has no problem getting an excellent or good connection in my house but this Sony Duo11 with Intel 6235 adapter first finds my network at excellent, then degrades randomly to poor, disconnects randomly, reconnects with excellent, then works for a bit.. you get the picture. Thought it was my home wifi router so have replaced it.. no difference apart from that my other laptop and phones work even better with the wifi.. this is a little embarrassing. Have upgraded to the latest drivers, used lots of different drivers but to avail. Am not going to disable functionality, I didn't pay £1500 to mess around with this.. come on intel chaps, can you help or not? if not, what can I do? Replace the wifi adapter?

Dan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@ dboi10

Could you try post 329 with the latest intel drivers (Last post on page 22)? Please let me know.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MJ5
Beginner

I've recovered Windows and started from scratch; installed new drivers. Bluetooth drivers 2.6.121 solved some problems with Bluetooth I also encountered recently. Unfortunately updating Wi-fi drivers to 15.6.1.20 didn't help at all. Every few minutes dropouts made me decide to give NP900X4C-AO2 for service. I hope that helps. When I chatted online witch Samsung support centre they say "its incompatibility problem". Incompatibility with most of (maybe all of) modern routers? No guilt of Intel or Samsung? They say they can't put there another wi-fi circuit. Can't they? Is it possible it is a defective production series of Centrino® Advanced-N 6235? Then replacing with another series circuit would help.

I noticed that Wi-fi is quite stable when i connect via old (not supporting 802.11n) router: Sagem F@st 3202 (marketed few years ago in Poland as Livebox version 1.1). Is there something unique in that piece of old hardware?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, got my 6230 in the mail today, pulled out the 6235, installed the 6230 with the newest driver....same problems. Uninstalled driver 15.6.1 and installed driver 15.0.0.75. Been running smooth and steady for about 6 hours now. So Intel, there has to be a problem with your driver, because your newest driver doesn't work with older cards either. Boy, it's gonna be ugly if everyone with an old card updates to 15.6.1 all at once. Bet you guys would get a CNN Moment! I'd suggest taking down 15.6.x. Why do you guys use only one driver software for all cards, seems senseless?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i've got a samsung NP520U4C-A01UB, and ive been trying to fix the same problem that everyone up here is facing. the only problem here is intel's and the other companies disrespect with the consumers. You keep saying its an incompatibility, but its just a way to minimize the real problem.

You are a big and recognized companie all around the world, but its unadmissable to lead whith a problem like this.

0 Kudos
etaus
Novice

I have got an NP530U4C and I am fed up with the wireless adapter problems. A nano USB wireless adapter costs around $10. (TP-Link http://www.tp-link.dk/products/details/?categoryid=243&model=TL-WN725N TL-WN725N)

Does anyone know how do I disable permanently the N6235 ? If I uninstall it, when I boot it auto installs automatically. Any ideas ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I wonder why a story this big has been highlighted on PC Mag, Consumer Reports or PC World for example? With the scope of the problem I would think this would be a much needed article to get out to the world when shopping for the right or in this case wrong devices.

This actually has been kept pretty quite on the net-IMO. I printed out this entire thread and handed to the head geek at Best Buy a month ago and just happened to be shopping today and asked he same head geek and he found the article very interesting and he gave it to his boss. But nothing happened. They still will not warn you of potential issues with Intel's fabulous 6235 adaptor/software.

I think this should go big so thousands more don't get trapped as we have. I think I will contact the for mentioned magazines and give them a link to this thread. My guess is they would never write a negative story about Intel no matter what. My intention is not to smear Intel but to make others aware that they may end up with a device that is far from acceptable.

Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i sent it over to engadget over 2 months ago...with no joy. I am certain there is awareness in the tech blogging community ...the silence, however, is mystifying

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Elias-

The simplest thing you could do is to disable the device, that way it is still there but Windows will not try to use it. Use your nano device until Intel gets around to building a usable driver, when EVER that happens you will be able to easily re-enable the device and update to a working driver

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Another update from me. I'm the one who sent my new Samsung NP700G7C-T01CA gaming laptop back to Samsung for repair.

Everything seemed great for awhile until the built in Samsung software updated the driver for me last week. Today, the problem came back. Dropouts, hanging during downloads, limited connectivity, and completely dropping the connection with no ability to reconnect unless machine is rebooted.

I'm fed up. I rolled back the driver hoping it's stable for now but here's why I'm fed up.

Brand new laptop (nearly $1600). Wasted hours upon hours trying to troubleshoot (I even replaced my Docsys 3 router with my ISP to another model!). Then was without it for over a month when I sent it to Samsung (too long). Spent extra to package and ship it correctly as I'm not to keen on laptops, hard drives, etc bouncing around from city to city. I called the repair depot that did the work and they offered virtually NO INSIGHT as to what exactly they did except that a "part was replaced". He couldn't even confirm if it was the wifi adapter that was replaced. Received my laptop back with damage/scratches to the casing and a large one on the LCD. Packing slip they included shows they marked it down when accepted as having "minor scratches" (which it didn't) but now they have covered their asses with the paperwork. And after all this here I am, typing this, with the problem reoccurring again after a driver update!

So what do I do? At this point I'm willing to just buy a replacement adapter BUT I know there are no other options for WiDi cards except the 6235. I am NOT inclined in going through the hassle of packing, shipping, and waiting again only to get back my laptop with no improvement and more physical damage. And are the Wifi/USB adapters even good enough for 'N' speeds, gaming etc (again no WiDi with these either).

Joe from Intel, I appreciate your feedback but sporadically poking your head into the thread offering the same comments "that you're aware" and "working on it" has diminished the initial comfort I had when you first responded to our concerns. For someone like me (and I'm sure others share the same situation) I desire something more concrete from Intel so I can make a decision now (today) about my next move since I still have the option of returning this thing and ridding myself of this dilemma. If you were to say that Intel was developing a replacement adapter for the 6235 in the near future for example, maybe I'd hang on a bit more. Or perhaps more detailed updates with technical information as I'm sure you can gather that most on this thread are a tech savvy enough bunch that they''d be more comforted to hear of the specific progress or issues you have found with either the adapter or the drivers.

Luckily my connection lasted long enough this time where I can hit the 'submit' button now, send this reply off, and not worry about getting a 'timed out' screen and losing my reply!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry you're having trouble. I have the US version of the gamer 7 with the 675M.

I hate to say this don't take it the wrong way, but if problems start after a driver update its pretty obvious what did it. Roll back and don't update the Wi-Fi driver again.

0 Kudos