Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

TurboQAM with Intel WiFi-Card?

FRund
Beginner

Hi,

now I got one of the new AC-Routers and an Intel 7260AC-Card in my Laptop. Problem is, that 5ghz is not working well 2 rooms away from the router. 2,4Ghz works fine. Now the new AC Routers all have this new Broadcom-Chip with TurboQAM, that increases the speed of the 2,4Ghz network. Will Intel update their drivers to use this TurboQAM or do I have to buy a Broadcom-Chip?

Greets...

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tvete
Valued Contributor II

TurboQAM is I think a non-IEEE standard feature. Intel cards strictly comply to IEEE standards. Even if you buy a Broadcom chip, I don't think it'll work though since I think TurboQAM works on 2 identical routers with the other one on wireless bridge mode.

0 Kudos
FRund
Beginner

TurboQAM just enables the 256-QAM modulation on 2,4Ghz, same modulation that is used in the AC-Standard.Since its just a higher modulation, its a easy and save way to increase the bandwith (~30%). First adapter is already out ( Asus PCE-AC68) and in tests it showed this big increase. So there will be more adapters in the near future I think.

Would be great if Intel would include this feature (optional?), because I used their WiFi-adapters for years. But for such an increase I would change.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos
FRund
Beginner

From my point of view, its just the name "TurboQAM" (Trademark) that is proprietary. Would be very strange to get a patent on a 256QAM modulation?? Link:http://www.trademarkia.com/turboqam-78206985.html TURBOQAM - Reviews & Brand Information - BROADCOM CORPORATION Irvine, CA - Serial Number: 78206985

IMHO Intel could just name the option "256QAM" or "Super-Duper-High-Speed-WTF-Technology" and everythings fine. ;o)

Since there is no Centrino 6300 with M.2 (NGFF) form factor with three antennas or they don't get this 256QAM modulation in their drivers, its a big step backwards for me and many other customers.

0 Kudos