Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7440 Discussions

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS driver Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz

mailsanchu
Novice
I have Wi-Fi 6 AX210 160MHz card on ubuntu 20 04, and I am unable to scan the WIFI 6E AP But I am not able to connect to it. How can I solve this? Any advise

uname -a gives me the following output 5.15.0-69-generic #76~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Mar 20 15:54:19 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

mailsanchu, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Is this a new computer?

Were you able to scan and connect to the 6E AP before on this specific machine?

If yes, when did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this issue?

The wireless card, did you purchase it separately or did it come installed on the computer?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/26735/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-operating-system.html?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
mailsanchu
Novice

What is the model of the motherboard? DELL 

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it? Precision-7760

Is this a new computer? 6 months old

Were you able to scan and connect to the 6E AP before on this specific machine? Nope

If yes, when did the issue start?N/A

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this issue? No

The wireless card, did you purchase it separately or did it come installed on the computer? Installed with computer

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment? ALL Environements

Report attached

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

mailsanchu, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

For this scenario, it is important to mention that all the drivers that we have available on our official website were tested and validated for Windows* as Operating System:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html?wapkw=ax210

Additionally, we always recommend to install the wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was heavily customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked on HP's website and also they do not have a wireless driver available for Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS version: 

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/precision-17-7760-laptop/drivers

Based on that, I will do further research on this matter to try to find a possible solution for this matter or to direct you to the proper department for support. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello mailsanchu, I just received an update on this matter.

While we are still working on this matter, we suggest to upgrade your kernel to the latest stable version available. If the issue continues after that, then please provide a dmesg log file.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
mailsanchu
Novice

I am on the latest firmware for ubuntu  20.04 

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

mailsanchu, Thank you very much for your response.

We are sorry to hear the issue persists even though you are on the latest firmware for Ubuntu* 20.04.

We will be more than glad to further assist you. For us to be able to do so, please provide the dmesg log file.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
mailsanchu
Novice

Can I send the dmesg file in private?

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

mailsanchu, Thank you very much for your reply.

Sure, of course. I will send you an email for you to reply to it with the file. Please verify your inbox.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

While we are still working on this subject, could you please try to reset the network settings in Ubuntu? Some steps can be found here:

https://linuxhint.com/restarting_network_ubuntu/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
mailsanchu
Novice

I have done these steps many times. No luck

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

mailsanchu, Thank you very much for confirming those details.

We are sorry to hear the issue remains after trying those steps.

We will continue working on this case. As soon as I get more information, I will post all of it on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

After reviewing the case, for this scenario, we recommended to use the latest mainline kernel 6.2 which will contain the Wi-Fi firmware ver. 72.

If the system still can't scan the 6E channels with kernel 6.2 (Wi-Fi ver. 72), then please try to:

Update the BIOS to the latest version, and check with Dell Support if the system BIOS blocks the 6E channels:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us

Check this issue with Ubuntu Support or with the manufacturer of the wireless router :

https://ubuntu.com/support/community-support

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos