Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Unable to connect or remove old bluetooth devices after Network adapter update (Intel® Killer™ Wi-F)

Harinath
Novice

Hi All,

I'm using Alienware 17 R4 Windows 11. I recently updated my Wifi card from the default Killer 1535 to Intel®Killer™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650. I uninstalled the old drivers and did a new installation of the drivers (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058906/wireless/wireless-software.html).

I'm unable to connect to the already added Bluetooth devices or remove the existing devices from the windows menu. It shows "Removing device" and after a minute shows "Remove failed".

I also tried to remove the devices from Regedit. But still I'm unable to pair the same Bluetooth devices with the new card.
Wifi connection seems to be working without any issues. I have issues only with the Bluetooth devices (headphones and speakers).
Please let me know how to solve this or what guide to follow to solve this issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Harinath
Novice

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies. My main issue was not with Bluetooth driver not working or with Windows 11 not supporting bluetooth. New Bluetooth devices are working without any issues and wifi also works well. The only issue is with Bluetooth devices added with the older network card, these devices are not removable since it is not attached to the current network adapter (or added with the current network adapter).

However, I have followed this guide - https://mostechtips.com/solved-cant-remove-bluetooth-device-in-windows-10/ (Method 3 and 4).

Cleaning only Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BTHPORT\Parameters\Devices was not enough. So, what I did was search for the Bluetooth device name in the registry editor. Remove all entries (folder containing the Bluetooth name, if not possible just the file). I know this is risky - You need to make sure you are not deleting anything else except the Bluetooth-related stuff (If not a clean install of windows may be needed).

Once this is done, restart the device and add the new device. Sometimes the old device is still shown in the devices (in settings), however, you will be able to add the new device now.

To Intel: Please let us know if there is any way to unlink or remove the Bluetooth device from the older Adapter. This would be really helpful.

Thanks All,

Hari

View solution in original post

31 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Since you messed with the registry, do a clean install of W11.

Also, what is your processor model number?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Waiting for Windows 12]

Harinath
Novice

Why is a clean install needed? -- There is no problem with my registry or windows functions . I just tried to uninstall devices using the registry.

Processor - Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Thanks for providing the processor model number. 

A clean install of WINDOWS 10 is needed because you mucked with the registry and your processor is not supported by Windows 11.

Also, how did you verify that the new wifi was supported by your hardware?  Did you confirm with DELL?

Your configuration is not supported.

[Waiting for Windows 12]

0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II

The i7-7700HQ processor is supported in a limited mode because it lacks some hardware blocks for system protection virtualization. If you do not include Virtualization-Based Security (VBS) and code integrity protection, then everything will work great on Win 11.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Not true.  There is only a list of supported processors (from Microsoft), and the i7-7700HQ is not on it.  Anything else, and you are on your own.

The op is simply not supported, and you should not be pushing such rubbish about "limited mode".

[Waiting for Windows 12]

0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II

If you do not know by what criteria Microsoft has included certain processors in the list, then you should not disgrace yourself here and carry ridiculous nonsense!

To get started, read about Intel MBEC.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You should read:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

You will not find the i7-7700HQ in the list of "supported" processors.   When you have trouble, what do you think Microsoft will tell you?

When you install W11 on this processor, does it say  it is "partially" supported?   If you were running W10, in Windows Update, does it say your device can run W11?  No, it does not.

Have you bothered reading Microsoft's disclaimer about running W11 on unsupported processors?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/installing-windows-11-on-devices-that-don-t-meet-minimum-system-requirements-0b2dc4a2-5933-4ad4-9c09-ef0a331518f1

I know very well what the criteria for support is.  There is no "partially" supported.   If that were the case, then why the above two links? 

You want to be a hack, be my guest.  But, do not confuse users regarding this issue.  And, do not embarrass yourself with something you do not understand.

[Waiting for Windows 12]

0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II
As I see you haven't read about MBEC! Information about unsupported processors is already clear without you. Everything is clear with you since you don't even want to get to the bottom of it!
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The two links I provided are all that is important.  Get Microsoft to modify their documents if you think you are correct.  Did you even bother to read those documents?  Do you understand them?  Do you understand what the word "supported" means?

Everything is clear to me.

[Waiting for Windows 12]

0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II

As I said earlier, you don't even want to read information about Intel MBEC, then can end the conversation because the discussion is useless with you. You don't have to answer because everything is clear with you anyway!

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Yes, it is clear that Microsoft does not support these 7th gen processors.  Provide proof that Microsoft does, rather than a bunch of lip service.  Provide a link that says it is supported.  Other than that, you can move on.

[Waiting for Windows 12]

0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II
Calm down already and take a sedative pill that should help you, but that's not for sure...
0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II

Delete the device along with the driver in Device Manager, and then additionally delete the old Network and Bluetooth driver using Driver Store Explorer.

Download and install the latest drivers version 22.110.0.2 (bluetooth, network).

If you bought an AX1650x (200NGW) PCIe adapter, then it should work fine.

0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II

The AX1650x (200NGW) PCIe adapter should work without problems!

Remove the device in Device Manager and outdated drivers using Driver Store Explorer, and then install the current driver for BT and Wlan version 22.110.0.2.

0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Please do yourself a favor and NOT use 3rd party driver sites like station-drivers. You never know what information from your machine they are uploading (and to what country it is going), and you never know what payload is in the packages they are downloading.

[Waiting for Windows 12]

0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II

If you open the message, you will see that the links lead to the download from Windows Update!

0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II

Driver Store Explorer GitHub

Driver BT station-drivers

Driver Wlan Microsoft Update Catalog

0 Kudos
Ivagin
New Contributor II

Driver Store Explorer - GitHub

Driver BT v22.100.1 - Intel drivers

Driver Wlan v22.110.0.2 - Microsoft Update Catalog