Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

Upgrade my drivers or not?

PCzar2
Beginner

I have a Lenovo 2-in-1 device with Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165. On one hand I've heard about this issue: https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00101&languageid=en-fr Intel® SA-00101. I have drivers 19.50.1.6 installed currently. Are these drivers vulnerable to this? Because this page says that 19.51.x.x are vulnerable and this is 19.50.1.6. I know that newer drivers (19.51.7.2) are available through Device Manager (I've tried for a while some time ago). On the second hand I've heard that I should not install generic drivers on laptop system. Only drivers from my OEM. Should I update to the newer version to be safe?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello przemek1234pl,

Thanks for posting in our community.

As you mentioned, the vulnerabilities were mitigated on the generic driver version 19.51.7.2 (and higher) for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165. However, it is also possible that the OEM has addressed the issue on their driver.

Even tough the OEM version is lower than the generic driver, the revision varies. We recommend to check the OEM driver release notes or contact them directly to learn if their revisions include the mitigation.

It is indeed recommended to use your OEM drivers over the generics as they could have been optimized to work better with you system. Nevertheless, it would't hurt to test the generic drivers, in most cases they work just as good:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005559/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Download the Latest Driver for Your Intel® Wireless Adapter

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello przemek1234pl,

Thanks for posting in our community.

As you mentioned, the vulnerabilities were mitigated on the generic driver version 19.51.7.2 (and higher) for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165. However, it is also possible that the OEM has addressed the issue on their driver.

Even tough the OEM version is lower than the generic driver, the revision varies. We recommend to check the OEM driver release notes or contact them directly to learn if their revisions include the mitigation.

It is indeed recommended to use your OEM drivers over the generics as they could have been optimized to work better with you system. Nevertheless, it would't hurt to test the generic drivers, in most cases they work just as good:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005559/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Download the Latest Driver for Your Intel® Wireless Adapter

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
PCzar2
Beginner

Thank you for responding. Because of the fact that the OEM drivers were very old (so it probably didn't have the mitigation) I've upgraded the drivers to the latest version available by Device Manager update mechanism which is 19.51.7.2. It works fine. I don't have any issues with my Wi-Fi connection.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello przemek1234pl,

Thanks for the update.

It is good to know the your wireless drivers are up to date and wireless connectivity is working properly.

Feel free to post again if anything else is required.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos