Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Using Intel AC-8265NGW Wi-Fi Card in a laptop with only 1 antenna connector?

XNeh0
Beginner

I recently changed the Wi-Fi card on my Pavilion 14 from a Realtek RTL8821CE to the Intel AC-8265NGW in order to have better Linux support. During the installation, I noticed my laptop has only 1 connector (black) instead of two. I connected it to the Main (black) and the wifi seems to be working, but the signal is weaker. Bluetooth only works if I literally put the speaker on top of the laptop and still, sound breaks.

If I switch the cable to the other connector would if fix this? If not, is there any way to fix this issue without having to split open the screen and install another antenna?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
XNeh0
Beginner

I see.. But its too late for that, change has already been made. Now I have to figure it out how to make the best of it.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Please connect your Antenna Cable to the AUX connector, rather than to the MAIN connector. The MAIN connector is for WiFi 5GHz channel, while the AUX serving both, WiFi 2.4GHz and Bluetooth connection as well.

Leon

0 Kudos
XNeh0
Beginner

So... I did that, it doesn't solve the issue. What I noticed it:

MAIN - Gets a mediocre signal from both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, while Bluetooth only works if paired item is actually on top of the laptop.

AUX - Only gets 5ghz signal, slightly better but still low reception, no 2.4ghz and no Bluetooth.

Still, unfortunately both options are not the solution in this case, can't rely on the wifi nor bluetooth.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Could be that there is compatibility issue of AC8265 adapter and your laptop.
  2. My instructions are correct. The terminal marked (1) AUX, serves 2.4GHz _Bluetooth radio. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031221/network-and-io/wireless-networking.html

Leon

0 Kudos
XNeh0
Beginner

It could be... I switched back to the Realtek chip for the time being. Trying to find a driver for it on Linux now. I managed to get it working but it smells fishy, the second the kernel updates, no support.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"So... I did that, it doesn't solve the issue. "

Let us go back to my post - You cannot simply change your wifi card. You must consult with HP for compatibility.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005846/network-and-io/wireless-networking.html

Doc

0 Kudos
XNeh0
Beginner

HP support is a f*k*g joke. They know nothing on the normal support channel and recommended me the 'HP Smartfriend', which is a PAID support...

Of course I will not pay for it and I will also keep this in mind when I purchase my next laptop. HP never again.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Watch the language. Regarding HP, I would NEVER have an HP laptop or PC, and I have trashed my HP printer and scanner in favor of far better devices. So, I feel your pain. But, it is THEIR laptop and they are responsible for your support.

Doc

0 Kudos