Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7737 Discussions

When mobile hotspot is turned off, the BSSID list is not updated properly

symbol
Beginner

Hi All,

I'm a Windows developer working on a specific task for getting the list of BSSIDs.

In my investigation, it seems that there is no problem with the update when a mobile hotspot is turned on (the item will be displayed after around 20 to 30 seconds). However, there seems to be a problem if that mobile hotspot is turned off (the item will be removed at more than 90 seconds at least). Take note that the workstation is not connected to the mobile hotspot and is connected to another access point.

I verified this behavior in the workstation with the following specification:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

OS Version: 10.0.19044 N/A Build 19044

Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.

[01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 141 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~2304 Mhz

BIOS Version: Dell Inc. 1.13.0, 10/08/2022

Network Card(s): 3 NIC(s) Installed.

[01]: Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650s 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter (201D2W)

Connection Name: Wi-Fi

[02]: VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet1

Connection Name: VMware Network Adapter VMnet1

[03]: VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8

Connection Name: VMware Network Adapter VMnet8

I'm also trying to do it programmatically. I'm using this function from Microsoft for details

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/wlanapi/nf-wlanapi-wlanscan.

I tried to check with other forums, even with Microsoft ones but I didn't get any response.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/73985886/wlan-bss-list-is-updated-very-slow-if-a-hotspot-is-turned-off

I'm seeking advise here to know if there is a faster way to get this updated list programmatically since it is indicated in the Microsoft documentation that:

The Wireless LAN Service does not send notifications when available wireless networks change. The Wireless LAN Service does not track changes to the list of available networks across multiple scans. The current default behavior is that the Wireless LAN Service only asks the wireless interface driver to scan for wireless networks every 60 seconds, and in some cases (when already connected to wireless network) the Wireless LAN Service does not ask for scans at all. The WlanScan function can be used by an application to track wireless network changes. The application should first register for WLAN_NOTIFICATION_SOURCE_ACM notifications. The WlanScan function can then be called to initiate a scan. The application should then wait to receive the wlan_notification_acm_scan_complete notification or timeout after 4 seconds. Then the application can call the WlanGetNetworkBssList or WlanGetAvailableNetworkList function to retrieve a list of available wireless networks. This process can be repeated periodically with the application keeping tracking of changes to available wireless networks.

Or is this an issue with the network adapter itself?

I hope I can get answers with this inquiry.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello symbol,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Since you mentioned that the workstation is not connected to the mobile hotspot, it may indicate that you are sharing the hotspot from the computer with another device, this behavior is related to the Operating System. Remember that the Hotspot feature depends 100% on the Operating System and not the wireless adapter.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos