Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7440 Discussions

Why did upgrading to Win10 change my wireless signal?

CBurd2
Novice

I was using Win7, and last night I upgraded to win10. All other software and hardware remain identical. The placement of the computer and the wireless receiver is the same. I had a very good signal before and now online gaming is impossible. Huge lag/ping spikes. I updated any drivers I could and restarted a few times but no change. Any ideas? Thanks

https://i.ibb.co/JkZTfYj/wireless-2.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution
CBurd2
Novice

I figured it out finally. I have an Orbi daisy chained to be by the window to get the signal as close to my apt as possible. I got access, used a paper clip and reset everything. As I was rebooting it with the app on the phone I saw that my desktop was using the 5ghz channel. The laptop was on the 2.4 channel (and had a decent signal all week). It turns out that when I upgraded to Windows 10 on the desktop, either it or the wifi receiver decided to switch to 5ghz where before only 2.4 was being used.

Clearly, the 5ghz isn't strong enough to cross the gap from the house to my apt. I was able to go into the device settings and make the receiver ignore 5ghz and now my signal is beautiful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

CBurd2, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the Intel® Wireless card?

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Is this a new computer?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed on the computer?

Which specific Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

What is the model of the Router?

Which application are you using to run the games, like for example Steam?

Does the problem happen with all the games?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
CBurd2
Novice

What is the model of the Intel® Wireless card?---It is not an intel wireless card. I am using an EDUP wireless antennae plugged into the USB port in the motherboard

What is the model of the motherboard?---- https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-Z97X-UD3H-rev-10/sp#sp

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it? ----desktop, built by me, many years old now

Which specific Windows* version are you using?---Windows 10 Home, upgraded from Win7 64

Does the problem happen at home or work environment? ----Home

What is the model of the Router? ----No idea. I get my signal from my landlord's router inside the main house. I do not have access to it.

Which application are you using to run the games, like for example Steam? ----My issues are primarily with Call of Duty, which launches from a Blizzard pop up

Does the problem happen with all the games? ----Call of Duty primarily, because even the slightest lag spike can be felt.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello CBurd2, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

CBurd2, Thank you very much for providing those details.

In reference to this scenario, the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with EDUP support for them to verify what might be the problem with their device, to maybe try to replicate the issue using the same EDUP wireless antenna that you have and for them to provide further technical assistance on this matter:

http://www.szedup.com/support/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
CBurd2
Novice

I figured it out finally. I have an Orbi daisy chained to be by the window to get the signal as close to my apt as possible. I got access, used a paper clip and reset everything. As I was rebooting it with the app on the phone I saw that my desktop was using the 5ghz channel. The laptop was on the 2.4 channel (and had a decent signal all week). It turns out that when I upgraded to Windows 10 on the desktop, either it or the wifi receiver decided to switch to 5ghz where before only 2.4 was being used.

Clearly, the 5ghz isn't strong enough to cross the gap from the house to my apt. I was able to go into the device settings and make the receiver ignore 5ghz and now my signal is beautiful.

0 Kudos