Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Why is my Intel 3165 slow and frequently dropping its connection?

TLync1
Beginner

I have a HP ProBook G3 with an Intel 3165 WiFi card that's running Windows 7 at the moment. My internet connection is 40Mbps, but my ProBook is typically only getting speeds between 3-10Mbps where my other devices - PCs, iPad and phone are usually 35Mbps or more. It's also dropping the connection every few minutes. It's doing this in Windows 10 and Linux, so I don't think it's the OS. When I first got my ProBook, HP support helped me get it running normally, but unfortunately, my warranty has expired. So far I've tried both the HP and Intel drivers for the ProBook, but that has not fixed the problem. Is there something I can do to fix this? Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello TLync1, Thank you for joining this Intel Community. Performance issues and Wi-Fi connection drops can be caused by corrupt driver or settings. Try performing the following steps: 1. Make sure your Access Point (AP) or Wi-Fi router supports the 5 GHz frequency band, and configured for 11ac mode. Check if the latest firmware is running on the device. Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html 2. What is the wireless driver currently installed on your computer? 3. Verify the Power Management settings in Windows*. Setting Power Management for Intel® Wireless Adapters https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005879/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html 4. Check for sources of interference (other wireless devices). Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TLync1
Beginner

Thanks Wanner. I actually joined the forum a few weeks ago, but when Intel did the forum maintenance, my post and user name somehow disappeared.

I checked the wireless settings and all were as they were supposed to be.

Currently, I am using the Intel Windows 7 driver downloaded from Intels website. Previously, I was using the HP driver, downloaded from their site.

I did set the power management to the highest and the first time I speed tested it, it hit 28Mbps, but when I rebooted, it was back to 3-10Mbps and the upload was sub 1Mbps.

I've had the same CenutryLink Actiontec modem/router running at 40Mbps for about eight years now. During that time I've probably had 20-25 devices – be it PCs, Tablets, Phones, Gaming Devices, etc., connected to my router and this is the first that's had a performance issue. I don't know what would be causing an issue.

When I go on other devices, I can usually see 5-10 other networks to connect with, but the 3165 only sees my router only. When I was running Windows Update via Ethernet(so it was close the router) and unplugged the cable, the notebook hit 30Mbps, but as soon as took the notebook to the living room about 15 feet away, it was back 3-10Mbps with frequent dropped connections. I hope this helps. Thank again.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello TLync1, Thank you for your response. We would like to take a look at your system configuration. Please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread. 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TLync1
Beginner

Thanks Wanner. I attached the report per your request. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello TLync1, According to the report, the wireless driver installed on your computer is 19.10.9.2. The latest generic driver for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 is 19.10.14.1. For testing purposes, have you tried this version? Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 7* Version: 20.90.0 (Latest) https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28277/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7- Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello TLync1, Were you able to review the troubleshooting steps provided to address the Wi-Fi connectivity drops? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TLync1
Beginner

Thanks Wanner. I am now using the latest driver, 19.10.14.1, but it seemed worse than the older one as I couldn't get it connect long enough to run a speed test. I did notice when I take my notebook upstairs, the connection is more solid and speeds are better, 10-15Mbps, but that's still half what it should be. When I'm downstairs, unless I'm in the same room as the router, it doesn't perform particularly well. The downstairs is 60% of the living space in my house, so not be able to use it downstairs is not a good solution. None of my other devices has any issues being used downstairs, so I don't understand why this is so troublesome. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello TLync1, To continue troubleshooting these issues, please check the following information: 1. Are you using 2.4 GHz band or 5 GHz band? If using 5 GHz band, make sure you are using channels 36, 40, 44, or 48. You can try testing other channels. 2. Is your signal strong enough when you are not in the same room as the router? 3. What is the speed you are getting when closer to the router? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TLync1
Beginner

Thanks Wanner.. I believe I'm using 2.4GHz.

No, the signal strength is not very good when I'm not in the room with the router. I was using netsh and the signal strength 99% next to the router, but varied from 10 to 99% when outside that room. When it's higher, it performs better. When it's at 10% I barely got internet.

When I'm in the room with the router, I'm get anywhere from 25-35Mbps, which is around what my other devices get,maybe a little slower. Generally speaking it works better upstairs than down, but eariler today that was reversed. When I used it a bit ago it was back to working better upstairs than downstairs.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello TLync1, For everyday tasks such as surfing the web, 2.4 GHz networks work fine. However, when using 5 GHz, you may experience faster throughput, less congested channels, and more channels that don't overlap. In your case, your environment may be causing random performance issues. We recommend testing 5 GHz if your router also supports the 5 GHz frequency band. If you have further questions, we will be glad to help you. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TLync1
Beginner

Thanks for the reply Wanner. I've had this setup for eight years and every other device I've used with it has worked without issue, even at 2.4GHz. While it's had a few moments where it's worked OK, for the most part it's never worked properly(regardless of the OS, which makes me think it's a hardware problem), so I think calling the performance issues random would be inaccurate. It may be the card or perhaps the antenna, I couldn't tell you, but in practical terms, I have a notebook that's of no use to me. I should have been more on the ball with HP, but was busy and not using my notebook much, so it wasn't a priority at the time. If there's anything else I can try to fix it, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello TLync1, Based on the troubleshooting performed, this could be a hardware issue. In this scenario, it is recommended to contact your system manufacturer. However, you can also try these steps: A. Try changing the wireless channel on the router configuration page to channel 6. B. Change the Preferred Band to 2.4 GHz or 5Ghz for testing purposes. C. Please let us know if the Intel® Wireless adapter came preinstalled on the notebook. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello TLync1, If you still need any assistance, we will be glad to help you. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TLync1
Beginner

Thanks Wanner. I think I'll have to call the phone company to change the Channel on the on the router, which I will do soon.

Are you speaking of changing the from 2.4GHz to 5GHz on the router or the WiFi card? If it's the router, it's pretty old, so I'm not sure it does 5GHz, but I'll look into it.

Yes, I bought the notebook directly from HP and the card was installed.

I tried re-seating the card, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello TLync1, Both the Access Point (AP) or Wi-Fi router can be configured for 11ac mode. Please check if the AP/router is configured for 11ac mode and that it is supported. Also, you can check the AP/router firmware version installed. Please reply to us whenever you are ready. We will be glad to help you. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TLync1
Beginner

Thanks Wanner.. I'm not sure 11ac means. My router is an Actiontec C1000A. Right now it's set up to do B/G/N. I don't see an option for 11ac or 5GHz. According to the router, I'm running the latest firmware. Thanks again.

0 Kudos