Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7437 Discussions

Wi-Fi 6 AX200 Bluetooth causing WiFi to disconnect randomly

Lazy
Beginner

I've been using my Wi-Fi card for around 2 years now and when I have the cable connecting to the card / mobo for Bluetooth, the Wi-Fi will randomly disconnect. 

After trying various things from the intel forums, nothing worked so i went out on a limb and disconnected the Bluetooth. this was around 8 month and the Wi-Fi doesn't randomly disconnect anymore. 

I tried reconnecting the Bluetooth today and the random disconnects are back. I could really use the Bluetooth, so is there a fix for this?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Just adding some detail for discussion...

Bluetooth and 2.4GHz wireless share an antenna. The other antenna is used for 5GHz wireless and, if exclusively using this band, wireless shouldn't play a role in Bluetooth disconnections.

...S

0 Kudos
Lazy
Beginner

Hi, thanks for the response, but, you have it the wrong way round, Bluetooth is causing Wi-Fi disconnections. 

It only happens when I have Bluetooth powered via the motherboard / PCI card cable. If I remove the cable, Wi-Fi is stable. If I attach it, Wi-Fi randomly disconnects. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Same answer. If using the 2.4GHz band, then Bluetooth CAN interfere with Wireless in the same way that Wireless can interfere with Bluetooth. But, as I said, if you are using the 5GHz band for wireless, Bluetooth shouldn't interfere with it (frequency ranges are very well separated).

...S

0 Kudos
Lazy
Beginner

Again, thanks for the response, but I don't think you're understanding my issue. 
Ill be clear as possible this time. 

Bluetooth: when connected to the PC via power cable, works flawlessly. 

Wi-Fi: when using WITHOUT Bluetooth connected to the PC via power cable, works flawlessly. 

Using Bluetooth to the PC via power cable whilst using Wi-Fi causes random disconnects on both 2.4g AND 5g SSID's.

I can use a USB Bluetooth dongle whilst using Wi-Fi and its flawless

It is NOT Bluetooth interfering, as it does it on both bands (2.4g + 5g)

I understand your response, but that isn't the answer. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, you are not being clear at all. Bluetooth is a wireless capability; there is no 'via power cable'; that's a patently incorrect statement.

Is this a laptop? Are we talking about a 'whether or not the laptop is connected to external power' kind of issue?

Are you saying that you have a problem using Wireless when you also have a device connected via Bluetooth?

Or does simply having Bluetooth enabled result in the problem (i.e., you don't need to have any device connected)?

If it requires a device to be connected, what kind of device (Headphones, Mouse, Keyboard, etc.) are we talking about?

What version of the Intel Bluetooth driver package do you have installed?

What version of the Intel Wireless driver package do you have installed?

Let's get all the information we can. Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows or Intel System Support Utility for Linux. When you start the tool, select Everything and then click on Scan. Once it completes the scan process, click on Next and then on Save. Pick a name for the text file to create and click on Save to create it. You can then close the app. Finally, open a response post here and then, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog (below the edit box for the body of your response post), upload and attach this text file to the response post.

...S  

0 Kudos
Lazy
Beginner

I have attached an image of the "power cable" I'm speaking of. It plugs into the connector on the Wi-Fi card and onto the motherboard. 

Lazy_0-1671133159241.png

I'm using a desktop PC, with Windows 11 (issue was present on windows 10)

"Are you saying that you have a problem using Wireless when you also have a device connected via Bluetooth?

Or does simply having Bluetooth enabled result in the problem (i.e., you don't need to have any device connected)?"

Issue is present with both examples. As long as the cable in the image is connected as that provides power / data? to the Bluetooth module. When the cable is removed, Wi-Fi works fine. With it connected, it randomly disconnects. 

Drivers are latest from intel page. 

Would you like the log file with or without the Bluetooth connected via the cable?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

LOL! That's an internal USB cable. The Bluetooth capability is always accessed by the system via USB. Since there is no USB support available via the PCIe connector, the carrier card must use a cable like this to connect it to the system's USB hubs. Plug it into one of the motherboard's USB 2.0 connectors. Once you plug the cable in and boot up, you must install the Intel Bluetooth driver package. If only the Microsoft driver (which will be automatically installed by default otherwise) is utilized, you could very well see issues with the wireless support.

Here are the current links for downloading the AX200 drivers:

Wireless: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351

Bluetooth: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Lazy
Beginner

I know it is. 
Without that, Bluetooth doesn't work and Wi-Fi is fine.

With it connected Bluetooth works and Wi-Fi fails.

both the drivers you linked have been downloaded and installed.

Issue is still present.

0 Kudos
Lazy
Beginner

Please don't reply explaining why Bluetooth doesn't work whilst the cable isn't connected because I know why.
I built my PC myself and I have years of tech support experience. 
This is an issue I have been able to overlook since Bluetooth wasn't NEEDED, whereas it is now. 

I've tried a multitude of possible fixes, both that I know about and those I found online including using older drivers, latest drivers, changing options within windows / bios etc. 

If there is no known fix for this, then I'm happy to just stick with a USB Bluetooth dongle. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well then, presuming you've tried a true from-scratch reinstall of the drivers, it sounds like you either have a bad carrier card and/or a bad AX200 card/module.

If you have a removable AX200 card and it didn't come with the carrier card (which means the warranty comes from the carrier card vendor), then you may be able to have the card replaced by Intel. After verifying that your warranty is still active (here: Determine if Your Product Is Still Under Warranty), you need to directly contact Intel Customer Support to initiate the RMA process (you cannot do this through the forums). You can start here: Contact Intel Support or use this page where you can directly look up local/country phone numbers: Intel Support Phone Directory.

You can use the online forms service or email, but I actually recommend calling them directly. The above link provides local or toll-free numbers for most countries and these numbers support most local languages. You could also use the chat service (start here: Intel Customer Support Chat), but understand that this service is offered only in English and is subject to the normal (9:00-5:00 M-F) office hours in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos