Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Wi-Fi 6 AX200 cannot start

egburr
Beginner

Current driver installed: WiFi_21.80.2_Driver64_Win10.exe

Driver Provider: Intel

Driver Date: 2/25/2020

Driver Version: 21.80.2.1

Attempted to uninstall and try driver version 21.70.0, by uninstalling the device and software fails to uninstall the driver. A reboot brings the device back with the current driver level. Trying to install the older driver is rejected because the newer driver is present.

Device Manager:

Device status:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}

The requested operation was unsuccessful.

Event Viewer, System Log:

(I)7036 The \Device\NDMP21 service entered the Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz state.

(I)7005 - SAR value max TX power (WRDS)

(I)7010 - driver enabled (miniport init)

(I)7017 - secure boot (SB) configuration

(E)5011 Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz : A required parameter is missing from the registry.

(E)5002 Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.

(E)10317 Miniport Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz, {b0365bd9-30cd-487b-a441-80a38534e684}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has detected an internal error

(I)8000 - Miniport Halt flow (driver disable)

(E)5006 Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz : The version number is incorrect for this driver.

This system does NOT have UEFI enabled in BIOS and Windows is NOT configured with secure boot.

I thought this should be a simple plug & play operation, but I've now spent 5 hours troubleshooting it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Download, run,, and ATTACH (using the paperclip under the toolbar) the results of this utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Doc

0 Kudos
egburr
Beginner

Here it is.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello egburr,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

• Is this the original wireless card that came preinstalled in your system? Was it change? if yes, if you put the original card does it work normally?
  • Are the antennas properly connected?

Which connector is used to connect the of Intel® wireless card to Wi-Fi antenna

You might try the following:

Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers 

Step 1: Get the latest driver. 

Disconnect the computer form internet to avoid automatic driver installation by the operating system.

Step 2: Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver. 

• Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver for your wireless adapter. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it’s uninstalled. 

• Go to Device Manager. 
  • Expand the Network Adapters category. 
  • Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it. 
  • Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device. 
  • Restart your computer. 

Step 3: Driver installation. 

• Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion. 

You might follow the steps recommended in this link.

Code 10 in Device Manager for Bluetooth or Wireless device

• Try a hard shut down, wait for a couple of minutes and turn on the computer.
  • Load BIOS defaults. Please refer to your system manufacturer for guidance for settings/updates.

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
egburr
Beginner

This computer has never had a wireless card before, just an integrated ethernet card, for which I originally unplugged the ethernet wire until a few hours into the troubleshooting and getting tired of using my phone to search on google for solutions. The original ethernet card cannot be removed (integrated into motherboard) and is still working properly. That should not affect whether a wireless card can be operated or not. The goal is to get rid of a 75 foot ethernet wire running across the house. The wi-fi signal is plenty strong there; there is a mesh repeater 10 feet away.

The antennas are screwed into their sockets in the card. There's not much else for installing them. 

I already listed the version of drivers I have downloaded and installed, which are the latest available from Intel.

As I said already, I am unable to perform a clean install of the driver, because even though I uninstall the device and select the option to delete the driver software for it, after the reboot the device and drivers come up already installed and detected, but still failing to start. I am then unable to re-install or try an older version, because the latest is already installed. This was occurring even while the ethernet was unplugged.

I have performed a full power off (what you seem to be calling a "hard shut down"?) a number of times. No change.

While I have tried some changes in the BIOS (there really aren't that many options to change), I have not tried a reset to defaults. I can try that later this evening and will report the result.

I am concerned that you are not looking at the error events I noted before to determine what is wrong and are only providing generic suggestions.

Errors such as:

A required parameter is missing from the registry.

The version number is incorrect for this driver.

and messages:

secure boot (SB) configuration

even though the SSU report I provided clearly shows secure boot state is OFF.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello egburr,

Thank you for your response.

Have you checked if your system manufacturer has validated and tested this wireless card integration on their motherboard?

It's worth mentioning that a wireless card integration needs to be validated by the system manufacturer this is because Original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) may limit the computer to only specific wireless adapters, causing an installation error when booting.

Your computer manufacturer can customize drivers and software to enable or alter features or provide improved operation on your computer.

Installation or use of Intel® Wireless Adapters is subject to country-specific legal regulations. Some countries require the Intel® Wireless Adapters to be certified with the antenna that is intended to be used together in the system, while some countries require the Intel® Wireless Adapter to be certified at the full system level. 

it is also important to understand that wireless integration may not work due to hardware or software compatibility issues or dependencies.

Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
egburr
Beginner

This PC is assembled by myself a few years ago. The motherboard is:

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK (Black Edition) Motherboard Core i7/i5/i3 LGA1150 Intel Z97 Express ATX RAID Gigabit LAN (Integrated Graphics)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K872IT6

I cannot verify, but fully expect this board meets US regulatory requirements.

It has a PCI-E X4 and a PCI-E X8 slot easily accessible. I have tried both slots. The PCI-E X1 slot is accessible but would perfectly block the cooling fan of the video card with almost no clearance, so I would prefer to not use it.

The Wi-Fi card is 

Ubit AX WiFi 6 Dual Band 2974 Mbps AX200 PCIE Wireless WiFi Card with Bluetooth 5.0 | MU-MIMO| OFDMA| Ultra-Low Latency

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XM6XZ1F

http://www.evisionde.com/ProDetail.aspx?ProId=80

It fits a PCI-E X1 slot but the installation guide says it works in X4, X8, and X16, also.

Again, I cannot verify, but fully expect this card meets US regulatory requirements.

Are you telling me that a PCI-E card is incompatible with a PCI-E slot?

Or that the Win 10 64-bit drivers are incompatible with Win 10 64-bit?

Or that the problem is with regulatory compliance enforcement issues?

I have installed wireless cards in PCs before, and have never heard of any requirement in the US that I needed to get any kind of certification for doing so.

Windows recognizes the hardware, recognizes it's identification, but errors are generated when NDIS miniport init attempts to enable the driver. The primary error seems to be about a missing registry parameter, but fails to provide any information about what that parameter may be.

The driver made available from the manufacturer's site is: 

WiFi_21.50.1_Driver64_Win10.exe

signed by Intel(R) Wireless Connectivity Solutions on 10/25/2019

The installed driver, directfrom Intel is:

WiFi_21.80.2_Driver64_Win10.exe

signed by Intel(R) Wireless Connectivity Solutions on 3/10/2020

I am unable to install the older one downloaded from the manufacturer, because the newer one cannot be uninstalled, but it looks like it's just an older one direct from Intel, anyway.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello egburr,

Thank you for your reply.

It's worth mentioning that it's important to verify compatibility integration with the system manufacturer because Original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) may limit the computer to only specific wireless adapters, causing an installation error.

Not saying that this card is not compatible at all it's important to know that in some cases is not only plugging the wireless card there could be compatibility issues.

Upon checking the wireless card model provided it seems this is not an Intel wireless card, this could have Intel technology but this model provided says Ubit AX WiFi 6 Dual Band and our Intel card looks different Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200

Amazon comparison:

Intel Wi-Fi 6 (Gig+) Desktop Kit

Ubit AX WiFi 6 Dual Band 2974

I found a website from this company Ubit Ubit Driver AX200 WiFi 6 AX 2974Mbps Pcie WiFi Card, what caught my attention is that this company offers drivers for Windows 7 and 8.1 with this wireless card. Based on our website our wireless card only supports Windows* 10 64 bits, so this product can be fully customized by Ubit, my recommendation will be contacting the system manufacturer of your motherboard to verify compatibility and check the drivers provided by Ubit.

Note:

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied. 

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
egburr
Beginner

I appreciate your help.

While I contact ubit, could you help me uninstall the Intel driver I downloaded from the Intel web site (WiFi_21.80.2_Driver64_Win10.exe)? I would like to try installing the Intel-signed driver I have since found and downloaded from Ubit's site that they provide specifically for this card (WiFi_21.50.1_Driver64_Win10.exe). 

As noted before, I am unable to do so, because it refuses to install because the higher version is already installed, and I have so far failed to uninstall it following the instructions you have provided. Windows says it uninstalls it and removes the software when I delete the device, but when I reboot both the device and the driver come back.

By the way, I don't know if you tried to download the drivers from that ubitdriver site you found, but...

1) That is not where Ubit says to obtain their drivers.

2) The download links leads to an endless series of ad-spam sites and no drivers.

Ubit's site is:

http://www.evisionde.com/ProDetail.aspx?ProId=80

And there they list only:

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 10, 64-bit*, Google Chrome OS*, Linux*

and provide what appears to be an older (Dec 2019) version of Intel's drivers.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello egburr,

Thank you for your response.

My recommendation is to follow the steps above clean installation but make sure to disconnect the computer from the internet to avoid automatic driver installation by the operating system and repeat the process several times until the drivers do not get back, once the drivers are deleted you should be able to run the drivers. Most likely the drivers get back due to the automatic updates by the OS or older versions that were installed before.

Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
fm6
Beginner

I am having the same issues that he had, almost exactly the same logs on a brand new install of Windows. The system worked just fine before I had to reinstall Windows 10. I've followed your exact instructions with no success.

0 Kudos
alexbegeev
Beginner

A similar problem with ASUS PCE-AX3000 adapter (Intel AX200) on MSI Z490 Gaming Plus and ASUS P8H61-M LX Plus motherboard.

0 Kudos
nhofmann
Beginner

Hey,

we have exactly the same problem with a brand new Dell Latitude 7410 which our company directly orders from Dell. We've updated to the driver version  22.40.X.X. but so far this device starts randomly malfunctioning and I have to deactivate and reactivate it through the device manager, which is annoying for an IT admin but impossible for our employees without admin rights.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
alexbegeev
Beginner

nhofmann, сheck with driver 21.10.2.2 

0 Kudos
SammyT253
Beginner

I have having the exact same issue as well. I am using the MSI X570 Mag Tomahawk Wifi (integrated wifi card) with the latest intel driver and am unable to uninstall the latest driver to try a previous version. (I have ethernet unplugged and have rebooted then uninstalled driver numerous times but it continues to refresh and show that it never uninstalled successfully).

0 Kudos
dece870717
Novice
From everything I've read/learned, the issue with these Ax200 Pcie cards appears to be a combination of not liking when being in a pcie 16x slot, and certain motherboard bios'.

My Ax200 card will just not connect or will say code 10 can not start. I've tried everything in the book with my dated HTPC that has only a single pcie 16x slot in it, and it just won't connect or will just stop working/dissapears. Yet, in my even older full size tower PC (gaming ish), it never had any issues whatsoever.

The mix of reasons so many are having problems with these cards seems quite varied and far too common. You're better off getting a wireless AC or N pcie card, especially considering all the ax cards are limited to 2x2. You could get 4x4 wireless ac and N cards that will give you more range and speed than the 2x2 ax cards. Honestly I think it's ridiculous how they don't have 4x4 ax cards, 2x2 ax is like getting a 800hp car that has mechanical/physical limitations built in that only allow you to get 400hp out of it, you just end up getting scammed out of a bunch of speed.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is not the AX200 card's fault; it is the design of the PCIe x1 carrier board that you are attaching the AX200 card to. This has been documented in a number of places on the Internet and is freely documented by the carrier board manufacturers in their advertising.

...S

dece870717
Novice
Ah, I see. Thank you for clarifying to me the true issue behind it because it was driving me nuts trying to find someplace where someone had a concrete answer.

Is there any sort of work around or some kind of maybe USB 3.0 to pci-e X1 adapter or something that would allow my ax200 card to work in my HTPC?

Frankly, I'm just tempted to just get something like the Motorola - MM2025 MoCA Adapter and be done with it. But, would rather avoid having to spend any money if I could get that ax200 card to work.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I did find a carrier card (here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0882Z3MKL) that says it is compatible with x2/x4/x8/x16 PCIe slots. You could try something like this, but it's another US$19 down the drain.

While the Bluetooth portion of the card appears as a USB device, you cannot use any USB solution for the Wireless portion. Intel offers no drivers that would support this scenario; the driver available expects the card to be accessed via PCIe.

I could start making guesses as to what is causing this issue. Could it be addressed by BIOS update? Could it be addressed by driver update? I just don't know. These are all questions that the Intel folks would need to answer. @AdrianM_Intel - tag you're it.

...S

dece870717
Novice
Yes! That's exactly the kind of work around I would hope to see. Pretty cheap so I'll definitely be looking into getting that if I decide against the MoCA adapters.

Thanks again!
0 Kudos