Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wi-Fi automatic disconnecting

JoyfulGlory
Novice

Hello all!

Please I'd like to know what to do to solve a continuous automatic disconnection of internet of my PC. Sometimes it disconnects and reconnect automatically, sometimes, no. I have to off the Wi-Fi, by clicking on th icon, then on it and connect. 

Please see the attached picture at the right bottom corner, the Wi-Fi icon. It's an example of the problem faced everyday.

Thanks for helping

Joyful Glory

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

JoyfulGlory,

According to the SSU report versus the Lenovo support page, your AC-7260 driver is old, dating back to 2019. I would suggest getting the most recent driver from the Lenovo support page. Also, you have an Ericsson Mobile Broadband Adapter. If you are not using that I would disable the device in the event it could be the source of your problems.

The Lenovo drivers page for your laptop is here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x240/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Networking%3A%20Wireless%20LAN

View solution in original post

20 Replies
ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

I've learned a lot just reading these posts ... first answer will be, did you update your drivers?

0 Kudos
JoyfulGlory
Novice

Yes Mrs., using device manager tool and even installed intel assistance tool to check drives update. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

JoyfulGlory,

Please tell us more about your PC or laptop, and about your network.

-What model laptop or motherboard?

-If this is a desktop PC, did you build it yourself?

-If desktop, did you add the wireless to the motherboard?

-Did the problem just recently begin happening after an OS upgrade, or driver upgrade, or BIOS update?

-What type of router are you connecting to?

0 Kudos
ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

I think also you would want to know if he lives in an apartment building ... I've read interference from neighbors' devices could also cause this!

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

ClariceStarling,

That's a good point, but I don't think that's the issue here. One of the easiest ways to look for  those pesty interfering neighbors would be to load NetSpot on the laptop or a mobile phone. That will list all the SSID's that are heard, and how strong they are. And also it is good to know if there are other devices connected to the wireless when the problem happens. I personally experienced a situation where a laptop connected fine until another laptop was turned on. All the time the other laptop was on, my laptop had intermittent network access. As soon as the other laptop was switched to airplane mode, everything cleared. So it is possible another device nearby or in the same house can be causing an intermittent problem.

JoyfulGlory
Novice

Thank you ClariceStarling.

But I am having the same problem with office network and at home.. I shifted from one home to a new one but still facing the issue. This started one year and half ago. That's why I decided to post this here.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JoyfulGlory
Novice

I have my own internet subscription....

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JoyfulGlory
Novice

Please bellow, my system (Laptop) info from intel assistant tool.

No supported driver or software updates are available for your system.

LENOVO 20AMS2RS0R

BIOS Version
Phoenix BIOS SC-T v2.1
Date 3/17/2020
MOTHERBOARD
Manufacturer
LENOVO
Model: 20AMS2RS0R
Version: 0B98401 PRO
OPERATING SYSTEM
Edition
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Version (Build) 2009 (10.0.19043)

Devices and Drivers

PROCESSOR

Intel® Core™ i5-4300U CPU @ 1.90GHz

• Device Details
  • Manufacturer Genuine Intel
  • DescriptionIntel64 Family 6 Model 69 Stepping 1
  • Architecturex64
  • # of Cores2
  • # of Threads4
  • Processor Base Frequency1895 MHz
  • Current Voltage7.
  • Level 2 Cache256 Kb
  • Level 3 Cache3072 Kb
  • Processor Id0x40651
  • Revision17665
  • AvailabilityRunning at full power
GRAPHICS

Intel® HD Graphics Family

A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver & Support Assistant is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact Lenovo for the latest driver for your computer.

• Driver Details
  • ProviderIntel Corporation
  • Version20.19.15.5126
  • Date1/21/2020
  • Device Details
  • Adapter CompatibilityIntel Corporation
  • Video ProcessorIntel® HD Graphics Family
  • Resolution1366 x 768
  • Bits Per Pixel32
  • Number of Colors4294967296
  • Refresh Rate - Current59 Hz
  • Refresh Rate - Maximum59 Hz
  • Refresh Rate - Minimum50 Hz
  • Adapter DAC TypeInternal
  • Adapter RAM1.00 GB
  • StatusThis device is working properly.
  • LocationPCI bus 0, device 2, function 0
  • Device IdPCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A16&SUBSYS_221417AA&REV_0B\3&B1BFB68&0&10
AUDIO

Realtek High Definition Audio

• Driver Details
  • ProviderRealtek Semiconductor Corp.
  • NameRTKVHD64.sys
  • Version6.0.8907.1
  • Date3/3/2020
  • Device Details
  • Device IdHDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0292&SUBSYS_17AA2214&REV_1000\4&78DB261&0&0001

DFX Audio Enhancer

• Driver Details
  • ProviderDFX
  • Namedfx12x64.sys
  • Version12.0.0.0
  • Date8/30/2015
  • Device Details
  • Device IdROOT\MEDIA\0002
NETWORKING AND I/O

Generic Mobile Broadband Adapter

• Driver Details
  • ProviderMicrosoft
  • Version10.0.19041.789
  • Date1/29/2021
  • Device Details
  • ManufacturerMicrosoft
  • InstalledTrue
  • MAC Address88:87:8F:5F:52:58
  • Service Namecxwmbclass
  • Device IdUSB\VID_0BDB&PID_193E&CDC_0D&MI_06\6&6378306&0&0006

Intel® Ethernet Connection I218-LM

• Driver Details
  • ProviderIntel
  • Version12.18.9.8
  • Date6/6/2019
  • Device Details
  • ManufacturerIntel
  • InstalledTrue
  • MAC Address28:D2:44:78:0C:74
  • Service Namee1dexpress
  • Device IdPCI\VEN_8086&DEV_155A&SUBSYS_221417AA&REV_04\3&B1BFB68&0&C8
  • Revision04

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

MEMORY

8 GB

• Device Details
  • Physical Memory - Total8 GB
  • Physical Memory - Available6.09 GB
  • Virtual Memory - Total15.49 GB
  • Virtual Memory - Available14.14 GB
  • Page FileC:\pagefile.sys
  • Page File Space7.75 GB
STORAGE

ST500LM021-1KJ152

• Driver Details
  • ProviderMicrosoft
  • Version10.0.19041.789
  • Date6/21/2006
  • Firmware Details
  • Version0002LIM1
  • Device Details
  • Capacity465.76 GB
  • Serial NumberW623V325
  • Partitions4
  • Device IdSCSI\DISK&VEN_ST500LM0&PROD_21-1KJ152\4&131F86A6&0&000000
  • Device Path\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
  • C:
  • File SystemNTFS
  • CompressedFalse
  • Capacity201.50 GB
  • Free Space115.43 GB
  • File SystemNTFS
  • CompressedFalse
  • Capacity263.13 GB
  • Free Space142.70 GB
0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Joyfulglory,

Would you please download and run the Intel System Support Utility. The SSU collects hardware information but nothing personally identifiable. After you open the SSU, leave the default settings and click Scan. After the scan is complete click Next, and then click Save. Save the results into a file and then post back and attach that file. The information is similar to what you posted above, but in more detail and is organized differently.

The Intel SSU can be found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

JoyfulGlory
Novice

Khun_Doug,

Thanks for your help.

Please see attachment bellow.

Thnaks

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

JoyfulGlory,

According to the SSU report versus the Lenovo support page, your AC-7260 driver is old, dating back to 2019. I would suggest getting the most recent driver from the Lenovo support page. Also, you have an Ericsson Mobile Broadband Adapter. If you are not using that I would disable the device in the event it could be the source of your problems.

The Lenovo drivers page for your laptop is here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x240/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Networking%3A%20Wireless%20LAN

ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II
0 Kudos
JoyfulGlory
Novice

Please ClariceStarling,

What do you mean???

0 Kudos
ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

See above ... "first answer will be, did you update your drivers?"  

0 Kudos
ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

P.S. Apparently, one has to get the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website ... so now I learned that also!

JoyfulGlory
Novice

Capture 1.PNGCapture inst.PNG

I downloaded and installed as per the pictures above, but as you can see bellow, the drive is not updated. And when i try to update from device manager, it says:  "you have the latest drive installed"  .

Anyway I am still available for any other piece of advice and remain thankful for all you the helped, Khun_Doug

Capture.PNGCapture ss.PNG

Joyful Glory

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

JoyfulGlory,

You never mentioned if the Ericcson Mobile Broadband Adapter is active, or can be activated, or is even used. If there is a chance it can activate that would explain why the Wi-Fi disconnects. If not used, I would remove or disable the device.

Assuming you are not using the Ericcson and you are sure it is not randomly connecting, I would recommend resetting the network stack. Go to Settings, Network & Internet, and at the bottom you will see Network reset. Click that, and the PC will tell you that it will reset in five minutes. Close the warning and allow the PC to restart. Try your PC after that and see how it performs.

0 Kudos
JoyfulGlory
Novice

@Khun_Doug 

I did disable the Ericcson Mobile Broadband Adapter following your advice and recommandations. Maybe that's why it's no more regular...

0 Kudos
JoyfulGlory
Novice

@Khun_Doug 

It seems better than previous 

The problem is still there, but It's no more disconnecting regularly. Thank you @Khun_Doug and you all !!!!

Joyful Glory

0 Kudos
ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

I had this problem once:  I was trying to update the driver and I got this message: "you have the latest drive installed"

If you don't go in and delete the existing driver first, it won't update correctly ... at least that's the way it worked for me!

0 Kudos