Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7430 Discussions

Wi-fi inconsistency: Asus Q551ln with Intel AC-7260 and Tp-link TL-WR841N

ALan
Beginner

Hi to all!

Hope to get help with my problem.

So i've got an Asus notebook with Intel AC-7260 and generally it works okay for my internet uses, but from time to time it sucks. Extremely. What i'm talking about here: while playing "League of Legends" the some extreme lags appear or the connection is outright lost (with encompassing ping jumps), "Skype" calls become simply incoherent and un-listenable, surfing web-pages return "can't connect" or something like this, lowering effective internet speed measured by "Speedtest", etc. And when this annoying thing starts, it can take however long it wants from a few seconds up to minutes, sometimes going away only after i disconnect and reconnect to the net through windows tools for that or run that "troubleshoot" tool.

This problem isn't the case for me all the time, but when it does appear, then, oh boy, it's irritating. And the most frustrating thing is that when i can't get any speed at all on my new laptoop with "latency test error" or whatever, my old Lenovo g505s with some qualcome adapter, while standing next to Asus during one of these episodes, has perfect stable connection.

Laptop driver version: 18.20.0.9 (latest, it seems)

Tp-link has the latest firmware.

Hope you'll be able to help me!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Dinomes,

There are several reasons as to why you are experiencing latency and/or LAG while playing a game. If the issue happens only when you are playing an specific game you should check the game configurations in order to optimize your experience. Here are some tips you can do to reduce latency/LAG while playing a game. To have better results running an internet speed test it is important that you have all background activities that use internet turned off

1 - Close all extra running applications which you don't need while playing, to somehow free up RAM

2 - Open Task Manager and look for the applications that are not visible in taskbar and system tray.

3 - Look for a less crowded channel. Finding an optimized connection settings between the wireless adapter and the router and by choosing the settings which suits the network envirnment and the router, you can have better connection quality and more stable connection.

4 - Check for other unnecessay connected devices and disconnect them as this also may impact your speed.

5 - Disable the Power Saving Functions: Go to Control Panel >> Hardware and Sound >> Power Options >> Set the High Performance and apply to Default Settings.

6 - Check the Change Plan Settings: Change Advanced Power Settings >> Power Saving Mode and make sure both on Battery and Plugged in are set to Maximum Performance.

7 - Check the value of Transmit Power and make sure it is set to 5. Highest