Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

WiFi Driver (19.51.28.1, 7265 vD) won't update to 21.90.3

PEBedits
Beginner

On my HP ENVY x360 64-bit, my current WiFi driver is the Intel Dual-Band Wireless AC 7265 Version D, 19.51.28.1.

I got a new router (Verizon G3100) that uses WiFi 6 (802.11ax) networks. But the 7265 Ver. D is 802.11ac and will of course not work with the WiFi 6. Verizon had an FAQ that explained the issue was the current router was 802.11 and provided a link to an Intel dowload page with similar explanations and links to download updated Intel drivers that fix the issue.

So I did indeed download Intel's update to the 19.51.28.1, 7265 Version the WiFi_21.90.3_Driver64_Win10.exe (ProSet Wireless WiFi Software) located here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29520/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters

The file will run on my laptop, and says "Installation has been completed successfully." But despite this successful message, the driver does not update -- the 19.51.28.1, 7265 Version D remains active (and consequently, WiFi 6 on the router is disabled).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The WiFi driver package contains multiple drivers, each for a separate hardware solution. When the decision is made to publish a new package, the current version of each of these drivers is included. If no new driver is available, the existing driver will be included. Thus, it is possible to install a new package but not see a particular driver be updated. I believe that this is what you are seeing here. The package is successfully being installed but the driver for your hardware solution has not been changed since the previous package.

...S

0 Kudos