Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7673 Discussions

WiFi connection issue with Intel AC 9260

MLema5
Novice

I recently purchased a new Dell Inspiron 7580 which came with an Intel Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz network adapter.

Since taking delivery, I've experienced intermittent WiFi connection issues i.e. dropping connection, connected but no internet, disabled WiFi card etc. I also noticed various 'Netwtw08' events logged in the System event log relating to the WiFi card at the time these events occurred. At times the WiFi works seamlessly, but at other times I can turn the laptop on & it will not connect at all.

Back in Feb, I upgraded the driver from 20.70.0.5 to the latest available at the time 20.120.0. However, I still experienced issues and later in March noticed that a newer driver was available on the Intel site - 20.120.1.1, which I then upgraded to.

Things had been going fairly well since, but today I experienced another issue & couldn't connect to the WiFi:

Log Name:   System

Source:    Netwtw08

Date:     21/03/2019 18:11:03

Event ID:   5010

Task Category: None

Level:     Error

Keywords:   Classic

User:     N/A

Description:

Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz : The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver.

I cannot see any newer drivers available, so am not sure what to try next. A search online suggests that I'm not the only one experiencing problems with this card. Further to that, the frequency at which Intel appear to be providing driver updates for this device, suggest that there are on-going problems with it?

0 Kudos
29 Replies
MLema5
Novice

Hi. Did you receive my msinfo32 report OK via private message? Is there any update on this issue?

Thanks

Wanner_G_Intel
Hello MLema5, Yes, we received the report. We will get back to you as soon as we have any update about this issue. Regards, Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello MLema5, We are writing to let you know that we recommend contacting your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for further support since the issue has been present after purchasing your computer. This is recommended since it seems that your computer is the only device experiencing connectivity problems. Regards, Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
GrantC
Beginner

I am having the same problem and my laptop is ASUS. So the response from Intel is not correct that this is unique to Dell. Please Intel take another look at this, as the Intel Wifi, in particular 2.4G is defective and often fails.

6666 - Firmware dbgc dump trigger

Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.

0 Kudos
Luciano
Beginner

Hi Everyone,

I was facing the same issue in my Dell Vostro 5481 even using the most recent driver version (21.50.1) that is supposed to be fixed this issue (https://downloadmirror.intel.com/29122/eng/ReleaseNotes_WiFi_21.50.1.pdf).

Most of the time that this issue happenned when the system in on Windows 10 Modern Standby (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/modern-standby ) where most of all the system components are turned of but the wiFi is still turned on.

For fix this issue I had to disable the WiFi AC and keep only the WiFi N and WiFi G. I set this in the Windows device manager by selecting the Intel® Wireless-AC 9462 advanced tab (See pictures attached).

I hope that the next driver version fix this issue definitely.

Best Regards,

Luciano

OMaka2
Beginner

Hi Everyone,

have same issue on AC - 9260(drivers 21.60.2.1). Problem with only 802.11n (2.4G)

Luciano advice helped me. But I looked deeper: on router change preambule from long to short and return driver settings to default.

0 Kudos
TWiff
Beginner

I have a Dell Precision 5530 with a Intel AC 9260. I also have this issue. Did you find any resolution to this problem?

0 Kudos
CGies1
Beginner

I had the exact same issue with my Dell Precsision M3800 and the AC-9260. After a couple of hours I dediced to reinstall the Intel BLUETOOTH drivers and that fixed the issue. It seems that the latest WiFi drivers and older versions of the bluetooth drivers cannot coexist properly. Fun-Fact:: The Intel "Driver Assistent" tool did not detect that the bluetooth drivers were old.

0 Kudos
hexaae
Novice

Something similar experienced with AC 9560... opened separate thread.

0 Kudos