Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

WiFi slow with ac 9260

thegios
Beginner

I have a DELL laptop (INSPIRON 7567) with Windows 10.

The laptop came with an ac 3165 @ 433Mbps.

I have a 1GHz Internet Connection with a very fast router providing a 5GHz WiFi connection on a fixed channel where no other router is connected in the neighborhood.

On my smartphone, connected to the 5Ghz WiFi network, the speet test shows 300-400 Mbps.

On my work laptop (an HP with an ac 7265 @ 867Mbps, with Windows 7), connected to the 5Ghz WiFi network, the speet test shows 250 Mbps.

On my DELL laptop, connected to the 5Ghz WiFi network, the speet test shows 50 Mbps.

I thought that the problem could be the ac 3165, being old.

I bought a new ac 9260 @ 1.73Gbps and installed new Intel drivers.

On my DELL laptop, connected to the 5Ghz WiFi network, the speet test still shows 50 Mbps.

I have configured the ac 9260 with all best settings (max thruput, preferred 5GHz, ac mode etc.) to no avail.

I went into device manager and found out that next to the ac 9260 there was also a Microsoft WiFi Direct Virtual Adapter device: i have disabled it and speed test now show 150Mbps, an improvement but still too slow for the ac 9260 performance (considering that even my smartphone is running at 400+ Mbps).

I have booted the DELL laptop with a live Linux distro from USB and the speed is 300+ Mbps.

So the problem cannot be the hw (neither the ac 9260 nor the router).

It could be the drivers, but then also the HP laptop with the ac 7265 would be slow.

I believe the problem must be Windows 10 (the HP has Windows 7 and WiFi is fast, and the DELL running Linux is even faster) but Microsoft support believes the problem to be the Intel drivers. Yet, if I remove the Intel drivers and install the Microsoft drivers for the ac9260, speed remains slow.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Are you on windows 10, version 1903? If not, upgrade.

Have you contacted DELL for assistance with your laptop? If not, you should. Dell is solely responsible for your support and warranty.

And, you cannot simply purchase the wifi card of your choice without coordinating with the laptop manufacturer.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Also, use the dell provided drivers.

Doc

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello thegios,

Thank you for posting on this Intel Community.

Performing wireless integrations is subject to country-specific legal regulations. Before installing or changing an Intel® Wireless Adapter, you must contact the system manufacturer to obtain approval, step-by-step instructions, and support. It is worth mentioning that the integration may or may not work as expected due to the following reasons:

1. Hardware/software compatibility issues or dependencies.

2. Manufacturer limitations.

3. Driver limitations.

In this scenario, you can try these steps:

• Perform a Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers. If your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) has customized drivers for your hardware configuration, DELL* INSPIRON 7567 + Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 adapter, then install those drivers first (both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi).

• If your OEM does not have customized drivers for your hardware configuration, then follow the clean installation guide to install the latest generic drivers available at the Download Center for testing purposes (both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi).

1. Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® driver version: 21.30.0
  2. Wi-Fi driver version: 21.30.3

• Make sure both the wireless router and your computer are using the same Wi-Fi standard and configuration (e.g. 802.11ac).

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello thegios,

Were you able to review the recommendations provided?

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello thegios,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

If the steps recommended do not fix this issue, Intel recommends contacting your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for further support.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos