Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wifi AC 7260 error 10

Peeter
Beginner

Hello I have problem using  my Intel AC 7260 mini pci express card.

I have two notebooks with the said card, both of them Asus X555L (different processors though) both running windows 10 x64.
One of them is running the wifi card withou any issues. But the other is giving me an Error - This device cannot start (code 10).

I have tried reinstalling the drivers, reinstalling the companion software, even reinstalling Windows but nothing helps.

I can exclude hardware problems because the card is running fine when using a live linux distribution.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I suggest that you do a clean wireless install. The process for this is as follows:

1. Make sure you have copies of the Bluetooth and Wireless driver installation packages for the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 card stored on your system.
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable(s) and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From Apps & Features, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled.
  6. In Device Manager, check Network Adapters for an entry for your Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 card. If none, go to Step 9.
  7. Right click on the entry for your Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 card and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Go to Step 5.
  9. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. I recommend that you checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  10. (Optional but highly recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  11. Install the Bluetooth driver package (rule: always do Bluetooth first).
  12. Install the Wireless driver package.
  13. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  14. Enable Internet access.
  15. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Peeter
Beginner

Hi.
Thanks for the tips but unfortunattely this did not help.

I have basicaly tried the same already, except installing bluetooth first. I have also tried to use the basic windows update drivers, manually using the latest 7260 drivers but nothing helps.
Yesterday I even installed an older version of windows 10 and the latest build as well but nothing.

Right now I have a clean install of the latest windows 10 build with only the bluetooth and wifi driver package installed. Bluetooth works no problem but still geting error 10 for wifi.

Both wifi and bluetooth work as a charm using linux.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, I am going to need more information. Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows. Select all data categories, generate the report and then have the tool Save the report to a file. Don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work. Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

I am presuming that this was a replacement (Asus site details a Broadcom module)?

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would add that my algorithm works differently than the generic one provided by Intel. It is the disconnection of the Internet for the uninstall and install processes that makes it different - and prevents Microsoft's Windows Update service from interfering (which causes a lot of the problems). Bottom line, if you haven't actually followed my process, step by step, you are missing the benefit.

...S

0 Kudos
Peeter
Beginner

Hello. Thanks again for the fast reply and your help.
You can find logs attached below. I did the log for both notebooks to maybe have something to copare to.
Yes it was a card replacement as both notebooks had a Wifi N card before.

I have also tried to follow you algorithm step by step without succes.
After the last reinstallation of Windows 10 the notebook has not been connected to internet and I have also disable the LAN connection. Unfortunatelly even if I delete the drivers for the AC7260, afte scanning for hardware changes the device is back with a driver version 18.33.17.1 installed.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So these are two radically different machines. You have non-working X555LN, with Core i5, iGFX (no driver) and setup for Legacy Boot. You have working X555LD, with Core i3, iGFX+820M, every .NET package, VirtualBox and setup for UEFI Boot. 

My suggestion is to reinstall Windows 10 on the X555LN, converting to GPT and UEFI boot (this means deleting all partitions on the System drive during the installation process). Remember to install INF Update (Chipset Device Software) package and the iGFX driver package. Note that you can get most of the applicable packages that you need from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/76977/Intel-NUC-Kit-D54250WYK; as this laptop has a lot in common with this NUC. Note, however, that you should use iGFX driver package from Asus if they provide one for Windows 10.

Before you do all that, however, I have an experiment I want you to perform. The Windows event log contains a whole slew of messages relating to errors with the 7260. I want you to clear out these messages (hell, whole event log if you  want), reboot and then run the SSU tool again. Why I want you to do this is I want to know whether the 7260 driver is going to complain about version issue again. If it does, I am going to conclude that you have a bad or clone 7260 (there are a lot of clones of Intel adapters coming out of China and they are mostly junk) and you should get it replaced by the supplier you bought it from.

...S

0 Kudos
Peeter
Beginner

Below I include the log from SSU after clearing the event log.

I do not really understand why, but even though I have not changed anything, after clearing the log it now states UEFI instead of Legacy boot.   Also the drive was already  in GPT mode.

But it gets even more confusing to me. I have tried to install the chipset and graphics drivers from the Asus X555LN support page chipset said I already have it installed and graphics failed.
So I went with the NUC drivers you pointed me to. Those installed fine. After that I have reinstalled the bluetooth an wifi software and drivers as you advised me in the first post but the result is same as before - error 10 (SSU log included as well)

One of these AC7260 adapters is indeed a chinese version of ebay, unfortunatelly I do not remember which is which. But both of them have been in use for more than 2 years without any issue. I have recently purchased the X555LN so I have just transfered the card  to it from a Lenovo G770 running windows 10. Also as I wrote earlier when using Ubuntu on the X555LN the card is running flawlessly.

Is it maybe possible that the source of this error is that I only have 1 antenna connected to the card ? As the speeds and signal strength in Ubuntu I flawless I very much doubt it, but I can not imagine what can be the problem.

0 Kudos
Peeter
Beginner

Attachments have somehow failed to post last time so repost them here.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yea, seeing Legacy one time and UEFI the next is a rather odd result. I have forwarded a report to Intel's SSU team to have this looked at.

I agree, it don't see any reason why the Asus driver would not work; I assume Asus tested it before posting. Regardless, the other link would have gotten you to a newer version. The only problem would be if Asus had modified the driver to support some additional feature. IDK if this is the case. What I do know is that there are even newer versions of the driver you could take advantage of. Version 15.40.47.5166 is marked as being the latest and is available for download here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29971/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-.

The clone card, was it being used previously from Windows or Linux? The Windows driver is complaining about the version number being incorrect. Is this the firmware version? Is this a conflict within the driver itself? IDK. The only thing I can think of to try is to swap the cards between the two laptops and see if this moves the problem from one laptop to the other. If this is the case, you'll know which one to replace.

Having only one antenna (which I presume you have connected to connector #1) is a problem, but is not responsible for any part of this driver-level issue. It does mean, however, that, at a minimum, the Bluetooth feature may not work (have no range). I am not sure why this laptop would have only a single antenna; two antennas had become the norm in the previous generation. If youa re going to make a long term commitment to this laptop, you may want to purchase a kit and add the second antenna yourself (I just purchased a kit for US$8 on Amazon).

...S

0 Kudos
Peeter
Beginner

I have installed the latest iGfx driver using the link you provided. Firt time I got the same error as for the drivers from the Asus website before (something like "one or more component needed for installation is missing") trying to install it second time was successful.

Uninstalled  bluetooth and wifi including deleting the drivers then reinstalled them using the method you suggested but still getting error

As I wrote before I am not sure which card is the clone one because I have purchased and used both of them for more than 2 years.

Anyway the one which is now causing problems has been used in a Windows 10 machine (Lenovo G770) for 2 years and was  removed just a week ago (as I want to sell that notebook).

I think my last resort is to try to swap the cards between the X555LN and X555LD. It takes some determination as it involves to take both notebooks completely appart as the card slot is on the under side of the motherboard. But as you found out from the logs, these are significantly different machines so I do not think it would make a difference to having the wifi card in the Lenovo laptop.

As to the antenna, both the X555LN an X555LD came with a wifi/bluetooth card with only a single antenna connector therefor a single antenna did the job. I already have a second antenna installed in the X555LN as I own it for quite some time and I have ordered one for the X555LD which I purchased recently.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Peeter

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are checking this thread and after all the steps performed so far, we also agreed with n_scott_pearson that the next step would be trying to swap the wireless cards. If the problem "follows" one of the wireless cards, then you may check with the place of purchase and try to replace it.

If the problem persists on the same laptop even after testing with the other wireless card, then this could be related to incompatibility issues due to the wireless integration¹ or a problem with that laptop. In that case, our recommendation is to check this directly with the computer manufacturer to check full compatibility and for additional assistance. Here is the link to ASUS* Support².

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Notes:

¹ When the end-user of a system installs a wireless card on a system that did not come with it from the factory, this is what we call "Wireless Integration" and it may cause connection issues or software-hardware errors. Your laptop may not recognize new hardware when you install an Intel® Wireless Adapter for several reasons.

For more information, please review the following links:

² Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
Peeter
Beginner

Hello everone.
So I have disassembled both X555L notebooks damaging one  poorly designed and fragile connector in the process (oh my luck)

Back to the point. After having both of the card side by side I immediately knew which one is the knockoff.
I have exchanged the cards and indeed, the error 10 was transfered to the other notebook.
So now I am sure the problem was caused by the knockoff card. What remains a mystery to me is why it was still working fine in the Lenovo G770.

I would like to thank  you @n_scott_pearson for being so helpful in the process. of troubleshooting and am feeling a bit dumb that I have not swapped the cards earlier.

Now I need to find a legit wifi AC or AX half PIC-e card which seems to be not available on the market anymore.

In the attachment I include side by side photos of the two cards. Maybe it can help somebody some day to identify a knockoff or something.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I just purchased an Intel AX210 module through Amazon.com. I will shortly be testing it as a (WiFi 6e certified) replacement for the (WiFi 6 only) AX200 module.

I also took a chance and purchased a third-party 'AX200HMW' module, which combines AX200 component with PCIe Mini Half Card interface. This was through NewEgg.com, as it was the only place I could find it. I currently have it installed in an older ATX system (using a PCIe WiFi card carrier) and it appears to work just fine. I will test it in our older laptop as soon as I can pry it out of my kid's hands.

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Peeter

Thank you for your response and feedback. We are glad to know that the assistance provided by @n_scott_pearson was helpful to find out the root cause of the issue and thus, to identify the problematic wireless card.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now from our end. We will leave the thread open in case other community members want to participate.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos