Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Wifi Network stuck on Identifying, internet is working

COcon
Beginner

Hi all, I am using a Toshiba satellite laptop with Intel-dual band wireless AC-3160 with PROset/wireless software. My issue is that on the WiFi icon is connected to the internet but the icon is stuck on Identifying... and won't seem to find my network although I have internet connection?.

I have updated the driver with the intel driver update software and all seems to be up to date, the driver version is 18.33.5.1 but I can not find a solution to fixing this small problem. When I have searched the web for a fix it only seems to show a similar issue but they all have no internet connection, but I do?

My IP is virgin media and I believe they use dynamic IP address's.I am wandering if it is a issue with my IP address but I am unsure and not fully sure ow to fix it.

Any help would be great.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello turtle75,

We understand you're having some issues between your http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/intel-wireless-products/intel-wireless-3100-series/intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-3160.html Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 and the network icon in the notification area.

In order to better assist you, we would like to gather some more information first:

1- How long has this been an issue?

2- Have you made any recent changes to your PC? For example, upgrading to a new OS version, or installing a new piece of hardware.

3- Please provide us with your system details. The simplest way to do this will be by using the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility. Please download and run this tool. It will scan your whole system and allow you to save a report with most of the relevant hardware details. Please save this file and attach it to your response using the advanced editor (top right of the reply text box).

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
COcon
Beginner

Hi thanks for your reply, The issue has been happening for a while now I have just decided to try to sort the problem out now.

I think it may of happened after a windows update but I am not to sure.

I have not made any changes to my laptop only updating the PROset driver but the problem was there before that, that's why I thought the driver needed to be updated but it is still the same.

I am current running on windows 10.

I have used the system support and attached the file for you to view.

0 Kudos
COcon
Beginner

Not sure if I have attached it correctly

0 Kudos
COcon
Beginner

Actually Carlos,looking closely at my driver, I thought the driver had updated but it has not, when I look at my version via wifi, network setting, hardware properties it says 18.33.5.1, I think it should be 19.20.3.

What is confusing is when I use the Intel driver update utility it is saying driver installed 19.20.1 latest is 19.20.3. When I try to update it using the utility tool opens up the Intel driver PROset software v19.20.3 fthe process starts and is has the option to repair,modify or remove driver software. I selected repair and it completes and says success but the utility tool says failed?.

I am wandering has it updated?.. or I have done something wrong?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello turtle75,

While it is possible for this issue to be the result of a system or registry corruption, I do believe you may have been on the right track when you decided to update your driver.

However, when a driver is simply updated, there are many leftovers from the previous version. In this case, we'd like to start by suggesting a clean installation of your wireless drivers:

1. Download and save the latest wireless drivers for your adapter. It's always recommended to use the latest driver provided by your computer manufacturer (as it is customized by them). However, you may also try our latest generic driver.

- http://support.toshiba.com/drivers Toshiba* Drivers and Software.

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26465 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10.

2. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Uninstall all instances of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if any. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC.

5. Remove temporary files > Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box > Type Cleanmgr.exe > Press OK > Select the main drive, usually "C:\" > Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. > Press OK.

6. Install the latest Intel® Wireless driver (downloaded in step 1). During the first steps of the PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all driver components (if any are available).

Note: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel®. We do not provide support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Once this is done, you may proceed to apply the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html Recommended Settings for Wireless Connectivity.

Please let us know if this resolves your issue, or if further troubleshooting is required.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

PS: About the driver version. This is actually a common point for confusion. The http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005559.html Intel® PROSet is a "bundle" of software and drivers. It contains the latest drivers for all active wireless adapters, so your PROSet version and your driver version may not always match. This is normal.

0 Kudos