Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7437 Discussions

Wifi speeds slowing down while streaming video or music

OctoB
Beginner

I bought an MSI GE63 8RF recently, which uses the Wireless-AC 9560. For some reason, when I watch a video on Youtube or listen to a song on Spotify, my download and upload speeds are reduced to about half of what they are otherwise. For instance, if my download speed is normally 40-70 Mbps, it's reduced to about 20-35 while streaming something. I've updated all drivers related to this that I can think off. I tried another laptop with the same wireless adapter recently, which didn't seem to have this problem, though I don't know what else could be the cause.

Has anyone experienced anything like this or have some potential solutions I could try?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
OctoB
Beginner

I'm just getting more and more confused. I just did some testing while using a wired connection, and I consistently get the opposite result of what happened on wifi, with my speeds while watching a video or listening to music on Spotify being far faster (mostly about double the speed) than when I'm not. This is even more confusing. Is this just some strange quirk with how these speed tests work, perhaps?

EDIT: That strangeness aside, I am downloading a game on Uplay and I get 4.5-5 MB/s while not watching anything or listening to music on Spotify and 2-2.5 while doing so and the same thing happens whether I'm on wired or wifi. So I suppose that means that the problem is not the wifi adapter and that it's not just the speed tests being weird.

0 Kudos
OctoB
Beginner

Well, somehow the issue seems to have changed. Now the issue seems to be interference between wifi and bluetooth. Whenever I have the sound coming from a bluetooth speaker (tested with two different speakers), I see a dramatic decrease (generally more than half). Wired doesn't seem to be affected anymore for whatever reason. It only happens when the sound actually comes from the bluetooth speaker. If I change to the built in speakers without disconnecting the bluetooth one it improves again.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello OctoB, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. I would like to know if you are using 2.4 GHz band or 5 GHz, this is because when using 2.4 GHz you could experience interference between the Bluetooth* and the WiFi. Also, please provide me with an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Make sure to attach the created report to this thread. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello OctoB, Did you have a chance to check my post? Let me know if you need more assistance. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
LefflerHirthe
Beginner

I think you should contact your internet service provider and switch to a better quality plan. Of course it also comes with a higher price tag

0 Kudos