Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7870 Discussions

Will AX201 be recognized without antennas?

oliviercailloux
Beginner

I just bought an Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (on M.2 2230, CNVio2), and do not yet own the RF cables and antennas. I plugged it into  my computer anyway. Windows 10 does not see the card. It does not show up in the device manager, not even something with a yellow mark, also not when scanning for new devices, and is also not seen by Intel’s auto driver detection (which works correctly as it finds out the rest of my hardware).

Two hypothesis remain. Either the card is malfunctioning and I should send it back to the seller (assuming it’s not a MB HW problem); or the card detects that it has no cables connected to it and disables itself.

Hence, my question. Will such a card be detected by Windows even with no cables connected to it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Your board has M.2 slot only (Key E, PCIe), it doesn't supports CNVIo2.  Find more information in Asus Document.  So, this is the reason that AX201 is not recognized in your computer.  However, AX210 should work.

Leon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It should indeed work and could even connect if the router is close enough. No, I expect something else is wrong. Do you have a motherboard that actually supports CNVio2? It doesn't sound like you do - or, indeed, the card is bad.

...S

0 Kudos
oliviercailloux
Beginner

Thanks for the confirmation, and for the good question: does my MB support CNVio2? I thought so, as I bought it just a few weeks ago, but now I am not so sure. It is an Asus PRIME B650-PLUS. The specs do not seem to mention this. How can I know for sure?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You could ask ASUS.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Your board has M.2 slot only (Key E, PCIe), it doesn't supports CNVIo2.  Find more information in Asus Document.  So, this is the reason that AX201 is not recognized in your computer.  However, AX210 should work.

Leon

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
This being the case, it isn't going to work. You should have purchased an AX200 (WiFi 6) or an AX210 (WiFi 6e).
...S
0 Kudos
oliviercailloux
Beginner

Thanks to both of you, @LeonWaksman and @n_scott_pearson. (I wish I could accept more than one post as a solution.)

0 Kudos