Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Windows® 10 Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters (Installation Failed)

Spatify
Novice

Hi guys i tried to update my wireless adapters atm but it says installation failed. Anyone know this issue or have a fix thank you

1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel

Hello all

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would like to inform you that we are currently investigating this behavior. If you need to update the Wireless driver, in the meantime you may try these steps:

1- Download, save, and unzip the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins package file to a designated location or folder.

Make sure you are downloading the proper version based on your Operating System. (For instance, for Windows® 10 64bit should download WiFi_21.110.1_Driver64_Win10.zip file):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29787/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins?wapkw=wireless

2- Uninstall the Wi-Fi driver following these steps:

2.1- Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver:

2.1.1- Go to Device Manager.

2.1.2- Expand the Network Adapters category.

2.1.3- Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.

2.1.4- Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.

2.1.5- Repeat steps 2.1.1 through 2.1.5 until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out.

Note:

Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver that came preinstalled on your system. These types of drivers can't be uninstalled (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after performing the uninstall process. The video in the link below provides additional details on inbox drivers:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

2.2- Restart your computer.

3- Manual Driver installation:

3.1- Go to Device manager

3.2- Expand the Network Adapters category

3.3- Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and click on Update

3.4- Click on Browse my computer for driver software

3.5- Click on Browse and look for the unzipped folder downloaded for IT driver in step 1

3.6- Click on Select and Click Next, then Windows® should install the driver.

Please feel free to share the outcome of the steps.

Additional information:

1- If using Intel® Driver and Support Assistance after the installation is done Go and Click on Refresh results to check if the installation was successfully completed. 

2- The update package indicates the installation driver package and the driver version refers to the actual driver for each wireless adapter. For instance, driver package version 21.110.1.1 includes the following: 

• 21.110.1.1 for AX201/AX200/9560/9260/9462/9461 (Only available in 64-bit version)
  • 20.70.18.2 for 8265/8260 (Only available in 64-bit version)
  • 19.51.30.1 for 7265(Rev. D)/3165/3168

Note:

If after updating the driver, those community members that are reporting different issues like Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors, performance issues, etc; we kindly recommend to capture all the details and error codes and to either contact Intel® Customer Support directly in your local region within normal business hours using the below link or to submit a new thread since we need to isolate different issues/behaviors:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@11

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

84 Replies
fischercpa
Beginner

Thank-you for this solution set. I followed each step as described & now the 9260 WIFi card has the correct driver version 21.110.1.1

0 Kudos
GJHinVT
Beginner

Thank you, @AndrewG_Intel! This set of instructions sufficed as a workaround for this issue.

I had to restart after the driver selection to get the support assistant to stop telling me I needed an update.

0 Kudos
James_I
Novice

This solution worked for me, thank you!

0 Kudos
ALIUNIDO
Beginner

I have the same problem and I did All the steps you explained in the previous post. But in the driver information, it still remains the basic version, even after manual installation was successfully done.

• Version20.70.18.2
  • Date6/24/2020

Device info: HP Spectre 360 15'

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265

Win 10 Home last version (2004 build number)

Moreover, Intel® Driver & Support Assistant ignore the wireless and doesn't say anything about it and shows the basic driver version: 20.70.18.2

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @ALIUNIDO 

The version 20.70.18.2 is the correct version for AC 8265 adapter. Please read the Release Notes.

Leon

0 Kudos
mark234
Novice

update procedur  for   AC 3165   NOW   tells,  its up to date  ,   cause the update  to 

• Version19.51.30.1    failed  all the last days 

0 Kudos
BSindahl
Novice

Well now... I followed the stated procedure to the letter, but did not get the update... still reads 19.51.29.1.

My wireless works, just lost BlueTooth (go to bluetooth devices..., usually get a slider button to turn it on and off, but that button no longer exists).  A bit exasperated; guess I'll have to do without bluetooth until Intel comes up with the fix for the update.

Cheers, Bruce

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @BSindahl 

Please download and install the latest BT driver.

Check in Windows settings that BT is enabled.

Leon

0 Kudos
BSindahl
Novice

That worked, Leon!  You made my day, many thanks.

n_scott_pearson
Super User

Just a suggestion for the future, treat the Wireless and Bluetooth driver packages as a set. That is, if you uninstall one, uninstall the other as well. Same for installation, install both as a set.

It used to be recommended that the Bluetooth package be installed before the Wireless package. I am not sure that this is a requirement any longer, but I continue to do it and recommend that it be done this way.

...S

0 Kudos
BSindahl
Novice

So, here's my experience: I got a msg. from Intel Driver & Support Assistant to updata the Windows 10 Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel Wireless Adapter.  It downloaded, but failed to run.  Then I noticed that my bluetooth headphones no longer worked, then I noticed that I couldn't turn bluetooth on as I normally do using that blue slider in the BlueTooth settings -- it was no longer there.

Go to the internet for help.  Found out that that bluetooth slider is only there if BlueTooth was there, so conclusion: the update--mis-update--wiped out bluetooth.  My wireless internet access was fine.

Came to this Support site and found out that others had the "failure to execute" problem as I had, and saw the manual procedure to run in lieu of a pending Intel fix.

I ran that procedure, but it didn't seem to change anything.  Then Leon (see above) recommended that I just update the Bluetooth driver using his instructions, which i did... now I can once again enjoy my headphones.

Good thing I have time on my hands.  I'm not an IT person, but know my way around the PC in terms of applications... not this infrastructure stuff.  Muddling along... happy to have folks like you to help me out.

Cheers, Bruce

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @mark234 

Version 19.51.30.1 is the latest version for AC 3165 adapter.

Leon

0 Kudos
JuneBee612
Beginner

Was with Win10 Pro 19H1 64-bit, no issues sharing my OPPO Reno2 Android 10 phone internet to my Asus G752VY via wifi.

Problem started after I upgrade to 20H2, BSOD kicks off every time my phone connect via wifi to my laptop.

Followed instructions given, download and installed 21.110.1.1 no hassle, succesfully installed.  But nope, still didn't worked. BSOD again in spite of the upgrade, showing 21.110.1.1 on Device Manager driver settings as the active driver in use.

Googled and found a solution, not quite sure if it works for evryone, but it does for me.

My Windows 10 saying "Some settings managed by your organization". Went to Control Panel-System-Advanced System-Computer Name. Click Network ID, shows 'Select the option that describes your network' - (1)this  computer part of business network and (2) home computer. Mine set on business network.

I changed to 'home computer' and restart. Check Network ID, still on 'home computer'. Connected my phone via wifi and bang! BSOD again. After restaring the Network ID switch back by itself to 'business network' again!

Was able to connect with my computer set to 'business network', but after several times connecting and reconnecting BSOD kicks off again. **bleep**!

Went this time to phone setting, on portable network sharing there are 2 network bandwidth types - 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Switch my phone's bandwidth sharing to 5Ghz, wow! seems working! didn't had that BSOD again after connecting and reconnecting several times.

Hope it will last. I am no tech guy I don't know exactly why or how it works like that on my case, but sure does the trick for me.

Just sharing, hope it helps anyone by any chance

Cheers

0 Kudos
Eskoboy
Beginner

The answer above sounds too difficult to me. So I tested a way around. My computer is HP Elite x2 g1 1011, and after updating to Win10, the Intel Wireless Gigabit adapter was installing but failed, many many times. So I went to Lenovo page and installed the adapter there, and it worked. Thereafter, it was possible to do the ordinary updating with my HP, and now it was successful. But, if you try this, you can get problems. For me it worked, anyway.

0 Kudos
Ekjot
Beginner

yes mine too what can we do now?

0 Kudos
Sassenach0603
Beginner

I have dual band wireless AC 8260 and mine would not update either. Keep getting update failed on Intel Driver & Support Assistant page. So I followed the moderator's instructions on here however, I DID NOT uninstall anything before installing the new driver update. I was too scared to screw something up so, I just unzipped the file into a folder, went to device manager, right clicked on my adapter, update driver, picked "browse my computer for software", selected the folder I created with all of the unzipped files in it and it installed fine. I did not have to uninstall anything before hand. I restarted my computer and when I came back to the Intel Driver & Support Assistant page, it said my driver is up to date.

Don't know if this will work for everyone but, mine seems to be good to go.

nabaC
Beginner

In my case I unpacked WiFi_21.110.1_Driver64_Win10.exe to a folder and got 2 files inside: setup.xml and WirelessSetup.exe. While running original, external exe didn't bring any result - running WirelessSetup.exe directly just started normal driver update process that went completly fine. I updated drivers for my Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 in MSI GE73 Raider 8RF. Intel DSA couldn't make it.

0 Kudos
Oshten
Beginner

I'm with you; I did exactly the same thing, and no issues thus far.

Domi6
Beginner

Did that and it's working so far : Big thanks Sassenach0603

Here's what I did in details.
Open the WiFi_21.110.1_Driver64_Win10.exe file with 7zip, to view the content of the package.
Then locate the biggest file of the archive (strangely enough it's a file named .text amounting to 28216488 bytes) extract it and rename it as setup.exe
Again, open the file with 7.zip, and extract the 2 files that are in the archive somewhere.
The extracted WirelessSetup.exe file installs the driver.
To be sure I think it's best to reboot the PC.

BSindahl
Novice

Same here... lost BlueTooth as a result.

0 Kudos
eduaurrai
Beginner

Same here.

0 Kudos