Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Windows 8.1 RDP Disconnects, Black Screen Issue with Proset 17.14.0

sfran10
Beginner

Hi Guys,

At work I sometimes use Windows Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) to remotely access my laptop from other PC's to view my work on my desktop. About 2 months ago I installed Intel Proset to try to enable my laptop to share its internet connection from my 4G USB dongle as I had previously been able to do using Intel tools that came preinstalled on a Lenovo laptop using Windows 7 Pro.

After installing Proset I was still unable to successful use the laptop has a hotspot via the 4G USB dongle for other devices. A few weeks later I tried to RDP to my laptop with the following results:

• RDP prompted for user credentials
  • RDP connection established
  • Black screen presented with no keyboard or mouse feedback
  • After approx. 30 secs the connection is disconnected and WiFi connection on laptop is disconnected from the network
  • Can not RDP or ping the laptop as WiFi has been dropped

After figuring out that the laptop worked perfectly with RDP via Ethernet I determined that it was nothing to do with the OS and narrowed it down to a WiFi issue.

I then preceded to uninstall Proset 17.14.0 and attempted to RDP via WiFi and it started working again.

I really find Proset useful for seeing advanced information about WiFi networks and would like to keep the software installed on my PC.

I thought I would mention my experience and hopefully the Intel team can look at this issue between RDP and Proset and WiFi NICs.

FYI my laptop is a Lenovo Helix 1st Gen with Windows 8.1 Pro x64 fully patched.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello saintfran,

Thank you for sharing this issue and the steps you took to resolve it. We will be glad to forward this information to the proper resources so it can be taken into consideration for the future.

Please let us know the type of Wireless adapter used in your computer, was this built into the PC from factory? Also let us know if you were able to use the computer as a WiFi hotspot, and the steps you took to do it.

If you could, also let us know information about the wireless router and the clients you use to connect with the computer.

0 Kudos
sfran10
Beginner

Hi Jonathan,

The WiFi NIC is the factory installed Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205.

After I uninstalled Proset I was able to get the hotspot feature working in Windows using the 'Lenovo Settings' app from the 'Windows 8' start menu, this software comes pre-installed by Lenovo and I find it easy to use to connect/tether my iPhone or 2nd Laptop. I guess that is the reason that new Lenovo PCs no longer use Proset for the hotspot sharing capability as Lenovo has now build that into their own tool for Windows 8/8.1 but I would still like to use Proset for its other advanced network profile and WiFi management capabilities.

Thanks

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello saintfran,

We reviewed the information about the issue you reported and found that if you install Intel® PROset/Wireless Software, you may still use Remote Desktop connections.

If Remote desktop does not work well when PROset is in use, the tool has the option to let Windows* manage the WiFi adapter and networks. This should improve RDP functionality, and you would still be able to access the PROset monitoring tools if you require to do so.

Also, some Windows updates, and system drivers from the PC manufacturer may help in this type of situation. So, you might want to check with Microsoft* or Lenovo* about this as well.

0 Kudos
sfran10
Beginner

Hi Johnathan,

After your reply I re-installed PROset and it was working fine as expected for about 7-10 days. However today it stopped working all of a sudden. I also tried as you suggested and I let Windows manage the WiFi adapter with no luck so I then again uninstalled PROset and RDP starting working right away.

There was no major system changes, just AV undates but I have also tried disabling Norton Security AV and FW and that doesn't make any difference when PROset is installed.

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Saintfran,

We would like to get additional information about this so we can provide better assistance, please let us know the following:

- Model of 4G dongle you are using for Internet connectivity.

- The client computer that you use to access RDP in your Lenovo Helix, is it in the hosted network from the Lenovo, or is this in another location (using Internet access).

- Please check if there were any automatic updates installed recently in any of the computers involved.

- Have you tried other computers to access RDP, ie: one in the hosted network vs. WAN.

Please let us know the following for the system with the Intel® Wireless adapter, as we understand, this PC has the 4G dongle, and is used to share WiFi connection to other devices in your house.

PC model:

Operating System (service pack, 32 or 64 bit):

Wireless adapter drivers (from device manager):

Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software:

Also, provide the same information for the computer you are using to RDP into the host computer.

0 Kudos
William_M_Intel1
Employee

I have experienced this exact same issue, and i have discovered and applied the same workaround. Like saintfran, the rdp issue returns after a proset update, and i have to again switch to windows management of the adapter to regain a functional rdp setup. I am also on a Lenovo system, in this case a Thinkpad Yoga.

0 Kudos
William_M_Intel1
Employee

I have done some experiments, I believe I have figured out the problem.

Proset seems to switch the default wlan profile type from "all-users" to "per-user". When RDP connects, the local user is logged out (locally at least), and this causes the network to disconnect, causing the remote client to lose connectivity. It eventually times out and fails.

To fix the problem, I disabled Proset control of the network adapter, removed the network profile (by clicking "forget network") and reconnected. At that point, the profile was created for all users, and it persists even when logged out.

To see the wlan profiles and whether they are all-user or per-user, open a command shell and type:

netsh wlan show profiles

You want to make sure your wlan is listed as an "All User Profile".

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the update BillM,

This will help other persons that may be facing similar issues.

0 Kudos