Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wireless 7265 constantly disconnecting in Ubuntu 20.04

VaclavC
Beginner

Hello,

my wifi connection is very unstable, I get a lot of "No beacon heard and the time event is over already.." messages into my kernel log. I have tried to set various module parameters according to advice from internet, no luck. Then I followed this post:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Unstable-AX200-connection-in-Ubuntu-20-04/td-p/1211855 

As a result of all above, now I have:

• Wireless 7265 (rev 59) wifi adapter in my laptop
  • kernel version 5.8.0-45-generic from Ubuntu HWE (should support my hw)
  • adapter correctly identified in lspci  as 70:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7265 (rev 59)
  • properly loaded iwlwifi module
  • firmware version 29.1654887522.0 7265D-29.ucode according to lshw

My module options are

• iwlmvm power_scheme=1
  • iwlwifi power_save=0 11n_disable=8

but they seem not to have any effect at all. I'am attaching various information about my system to this post. There is no line with 'ASSERT' in my dmesg output. Ubuntu kernel is compiled without IWLWIFI_DEBUG enabled, so I'am unable to trace with trace-cmd.

So, what should I do now? Thank for your help in advance

0 Kudos
16 Replies
VaclavC
Beginner

More information:

I have TP-LINK Archer C6 v2.0 router. I'am using WPA2-PSK and AES. I'am connecting to 5Ghz network, but the same problem I have with 2,4GHz one.

I have tried to adjust beacon interval parameter on router from default 100ms to 50ms - no luck.

I have another two laptops at home connected without such problems. One with Centrino Advanced-N 6230 [Rainbow Peak] wireless, the second one has RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello VaclavC,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?   

2. Are you having issues with Wifi or Bluetooth or both?  

3. Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or Wireless driver update?

4. Are the other 2 laptops using the same Ubuntu version and firmware?

Also, you may find helpful information in the following link:

-https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/wireless.html

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
VaclavC
Beginner

Hi Deivid,

thank you for your answer.

1. Yes, it is the original adapter from laptop manufacturer. I haven't touched it at all.

2. I don't use Bluetooth, so I don't know. I have it turned off.

3. I noticed a difference between 12th and 13 February, I'am attaching kernel logs. But I don't remember what system update was between theese dates. Kernel and firmware version is the same.

4. That one with Centrino Advanced-N 6230 is using firmware version 18.168.6.1. The other one has a Realtek adapter, I don't know firmware version right now (will turn it on tomorrow and check is neccessary).

Should I try firmware from the link you have provided to me?

Best regards,

Vaclav

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello VaclavC, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the case internally and post back soon with more details. 

As a test, you can try with the firmware from the link to check if that provides any kind of changes.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello VaclavC, 

I know that already tried the steps from this thread, https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Unstable-AX200-connection-in-Ubuntu-20-04/td-p/1211855, however, I will need the outcome from the commands.

In order to have more information, please run the following commands and reply with the results, you can take pictures if you want:

· modinfo iwlwifi > If there is no output, then the module isn’t installed this is the distribution installation issue.  

· lsmod | grep iwlwifi > If the result is empty, the driver hasn't been loaded. Most likely to be a distribution issue.  

· To verify, please type: dmesg | grep iwlwifi > If the result is empty, the driver wasn’t initialized and this is a distribution issue. If there is a result populated, proceed with the next step.   

· dmesg | grep “no suitable firmware found!” > If the result is not empty, it means you don't have a suitable FW (api mentioned in the dmesg).  

· Please visit here: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi for supported FW, or here https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/ for the latest versions.  

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
VaclavC
Beginner

Hello Deivid A,

please find the output of commands you wanted me to run attached to this post. The last one, looking for "no suitable firmware found!" message, has no output.

As for the firmware, I probably already have the latest version (29), I can see 'firmware=29.1654887522.0 7265D-29.ucode' in lshw output.

Thank you for your help,

Vaclav

0 Kudos
VaclavC
Beginner

Hello,

I have noticed similar problem with connection at the second laptop with older Intel wifi adapter. There is no message about beacon, but some disconnects are there as well. Dmesg from that machine attached.

So may it be some router problem rather than wifi adapter drivers problem? I'am sorry if I'am bothering here unnecessarily

Best regards,

Vaclav

0 Kudos
VaclavC
Beginner

Update> It was the same with previous router, I have a new one for about two weeks, but I have found the same problem with the old one in old logs. So router may play some role, but some problem is in client side as well...

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello VaclavC, 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello VaclavC, 

Based on the research performed, please try the following:

1. Upgrade to the latest FW on your TP-LINK Archer C6 v2.0 router

2. Try to connect to a different network/router to check if received the same message 'No beacon heard and the time event is over already' 

3. On the router, change the beacon interval to 50 and keep it at a fixed channel (such as CH 11 on 2.4 GHz or CH 36 on 5 GHz)

4. Add to /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf the following:

- options iwlmvm power_scheme=1

- options iwlwifi power_save=0

You can find more information and some steps at the following link:

- https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=203709

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
VaclavC
Beginner

Hello Deivid A.,

thank you for your reply. According to points:

1. I already have the latest firmware in my router (screenshot)

2. Unfortunately I don't have any other router I can try. I can try it only with wifi hotspot provided by my cellphone. But, as I have already written, in my old kernel logs, I have found the same behavior about one month ago before my internet provider gave me a new router (the current one). So it doesn't look router dependent. Also, another laptop with Realtek wifi has no problem with the same router (and the same Ubuntu).

3. I have already tried to lower beacon interval with no effect. I'am using fixed channel.

4. I already have these options in that file. Alongside with 11n_disable=8 and wd_disable=1. I have tried various combinations of them, without any success. I also have option power_scheme=1 in iwlmvm.conf. Again, I have tried it with and without that option without any noticeable effect.

I already know about that thread in kernel bugzilla, but I was unable to solve my problem with that.

I'am attaching screenshots from my wifi router configuration. As additional information, we have more devices connected to that router, precisely three laptops, four cell phones, four tablets and one smart TV.

Best regards,

Vaclav

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello VaclavC, 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards,

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
VaclavC
Beginner

Hello, now I see, that I probably forgot to attach mentioned screenshots Here They are.

Best regards,

Vacalv

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Vaclavc

I will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile. Please reply to the email in order to provide us with the information requested on that email to avoid exposing sensitive information in the communities. 

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello VaclavC, 

I would like to inform you that this issue is being transferred to Intel wireless engineering team and they're working on it. However, the investigation will take some time.

We will keep you updated

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
VaclavC
Beginner

Hello Deivid A,

thank you. I have already "solved" it by ordering a cable. But I still want to have a working wifi connection in my laptop

Best regards,

Vaclav

0 Kudos