Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Wireless card stops working after hibernate with 17.1.0.0

AGros3
Novice

I just updated to 17.1.0.0 and found that now my wireless card no longer works after I resume from hibernation! I have a Dell XPS 15-9530 running Windows 8.1 Update x64 with an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260. In Device Manager, it says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" (screenshot attached). In order to get the wireless card to work again, I need to go to Device Manager and disable then reenable the device. Can anyone help?

Edit: I also updated event viewer logs with more information at the time of the failure. The events that happened around 9:43:02pm are when I hibernated. The events that happened around 9:43:50pm are when I resumed from hibernation.

31 Replies
PM3
Beginner

Driver v.7.0.3 works for me.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I would suspect of files tampered or corrupted in your operating system because of the other issues you commented here: and because I also have a Dell* XPS 15-9530 running Intel® PROSet Wireless Software 17.1.0 with no problems whatsoever.

Perhaps you want see if the operating system needs any repair by following the instructions given in these articles:

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

grossag, mrd000: Would you be able to provide the exact steps to replicate this issue?

For example, the wireless driver was incrementally upgraded from version A to version B, and finally to C. Or it happens after a clean driver installation too?

0 Kudos
PM3
Beginner

It does not look like an error which might be caused by an installer and there is no reason for me to believe that there are any corrupted files.

The error is very easy to reproduce: the card fails to initialize after hibernate mode with drivers 7.0.5 and 7.1.0. Both were installed as an upgrade. I don't see a reason to try uninstall and install instead of an upgrade as there seems to be no relation to the error. The error says that Windows cannot allocate resources to the card. I'm not familiar with how the card works, but I assume that resources are controlled by something like card configuration space. Event log suggests that the driver sent wrong messages to the system. That all does not look like a system configuration or file error. Otherwise the driver version would unlikely change the behavior.

I know that in such cases customer service asks to do hundred random (unrelated) things. I don't have time to try random stuff. I think your dev team should be able to find similar chipset (C216) to test this. It's produced by your company as well

0 Kudos
JLaFo
Beginner

I also have this issue.I am however on a Lenovo w540 running windows 7 sp1.

When I hibernate the network card stops working. I have the latest drivers so I am on 7.1.0.19 now. I used SFC to check bad files. There are no file issues. So since it worked a one point before upgrading I it is most likely that Intel has put out a faulty driver.

The work around that I uses is to go to the control panel and disable/enable the network card. I recommend not using the faulty drivers from Intel until this issues is resolved that is if you like to use the hibernate feature on your laptop.

0 Kudos
RGruv
Beginner

I have to add my ASUS G73JW running Win 7 64-bit SP 1 in here also. Just got the 7260 card to upgrade from N to AC. Flashed the motherboard bios to the latest available last Monday (9-22-14) in anticipation of getting the new network card. Downloaded the 17.1.0 drivers after installing new card on Thursday (9-25-14) and it worked fine until computer went into hibernation.

Upon wake up I had to run the Troubleshooter to fix it before it started working again. I now have to do this every time my rig goes into hibernate. I have just re-downloaded the driver and reinstalled it so we'll see if this solves the problem. If not, I'll drop back to the 17.0.6 driver and see if that stops the problem.

0 Kudos
RGruv
Beginner

I thought the problem was resolved, but it wasn't. Network Card still requires a reset after wake up from hibernation every time.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Our best recommendation is getting Intel® PROSet Wireless Software version 17.12 from the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm system manufacturer's (OEM's) website.

If this version is not available on their site we suggest asking the OEM for it.

0 Kudos
EErla
Beginner

I've got the same problem after updating to 17.1.0.0

I deeply regret using the http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?wapkw=update+drivers Intel® Driver Update Utility

PC: Sony Vaio Pro, 64 bit

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

<<I deeply regret using the <a class="jive-link-external-small" href="http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?wapkw=update+drivers" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Intel® Driver Update Utility>>

Got a Restore Point? Roll back that way.

Or, go to Device Manager, click open the adapter to the driver tab. If "Roll Back" isn't greyed out, go back that way.

In future, always create a restore point before you update a driver. And don't update a driver unless you need it to fix a problem you're having, especially for a device like this wireless card.

REise1
Beginner

I was experiencing this issue on the Lenovo T440p and T540p for both sleep and hibernate (7260 Dual Band cards). I was able to resolve it by enabling "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" located on the Power Management TAB.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Was the issue solved for everyone after enabling "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"?

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

^^^That setting has always been enabled on my device. If I disable it, the card is offline upon wake up and requires a disable/enable to bring it back.

That said, I still got sporadic failures to wake on any of the v 17 drivers that I tried. I remain with 16.6 because it always wakes up.

0 Kudos
RGruv
Beginner

I have it set now to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and I have to reset the card by using "troubleshoot problems" in Windows every time to get it to work after hibernate. If I switch off "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", I get the "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" after wake up from hibernate. Then I have to reboot the computer to get the AC7260 card working again. Asus G73JW, Win 7, 64 bit all updated with latest bios drivers.

0 Kudos
AGros3
Novice

joe_intel, no it's not completely fixed for me even with "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" (note: I have "U-APSD support" set to "Disabled").

I indeed no longer have the catastrophic error 43 where the device stops after hibernate. However, more often than not, the adapter simply doesn't work after hibernate and resume. That is, it says it is able to connect to my network (Airport Extreme with 1 Airport Express repeater) but shows limited access. When I go into Device Manager and then disable and reenable the adapter, it works fine. It reminds me a lot of the old issue . However, I am on driver version 17.1.0.19.

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

grossag wrote:

joe_intel, no it's not completely fixed for me even with "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" (note: I have "U-APSD support" set to "Disabled").

I indeed no longer have the catastrophic error 43 where the device stops after hibernate. However, more often than not, the adapter simply doesn't work after hibernate and resume. That is, it says it is able to connect to my network (Airport Extreme with 1 Airport Express repeater) but shows limited access. When I go into Device Manager and then disable and reenable the adapter, it works fine. It reminds me a lot of the old issue /thread/51343 7260 still drops connection with newest driver . However, I am on driver version 17.1.0.19.

Try this driver. It's not released here yet, but CRC here extracted it from one of the OEMs. Lenovo claims it fixes the sleep issue.

https://www.crc.id.au/files/Intel%20AC-7260%20v17.12.0.4.exe https://www.crc.id.au/files/Intel%20AC-7260%20v17.12.0.4.exe

I've used it and can confirm that after a week or so, it doesn't fail on wake up. It's the first driver since 16.6 that behaves with sleep.

0 Kudos
SLang10
Beginner

I just downloaded and uppdated the drivers for my Intel wifi card. Made a reboot of the computer after this.

Then when puting the computer in sleep mode, and waking it up again, the problem does still exist. Wifi Card is disabled and not possible to activate again. I need to reboot the computer to get the wifi card working again.

Wifi Card: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260

Intel Driver: 17.12.0.4

Power Management settings: Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power = disabled

Windows Power Options: Wireless Adapter Settings - Power Save Mode - On battery = Maximum Performance

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

Geraner wrote:

Power Management settings: Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power = disabled

Enable.

0 Kudos
SLang10
Beginner

Great! Thanks GattoNero!

Enabled this one. Now with Intel Driver version 17.12.0.4 the Wireless Network card is still active whene waking up the computer from Sleep Mode. :-)

0 Kudos
BFrus
Beginner

I've been struggling with this issue for about a week now, and thank god I found this thread. I installed the 17.12.0.4 driver package (unreleased), restarted, then put my computer to sleep, and I can CONFIRM that it has fixed the issue.

My "profile":

Wifi Card: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260

Intel Driver: 17.12.0.4

Power Management settings: Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power = enabled

Windows Power Options: Wireless Adapter Settings - Power Save Mode - On battery = Maximum Performance

It's also worth noting that I updated the bluetooth software as well to the driver that was released on 11/19/14. This is for a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro laptop with the i7 chip.

0 Kudos