Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

WoL - Intel WiFi 6 AX201 160Mhz wakes PC from sleep every 10 minutes

JJ123
Beginner

Hello everyone,

to use Windows remote desktop to its fullest, I set up WoL (via WiFi) on my PC. Everything works fine - the PC wakes up from sleep or hibernate when a magic packet is sent, but the problem is that it also wakes up from sleep exactly every 10 minutes.

What I did to set up WoL:
- I enabled the option to wake up the PC by the Intel Wireless Chip in BIOS (resume by Intel CNVi)
- I enabled "allow this device to wake the computer" and "only allow a magic packet to wake the computer" in the Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201's power management properties in device manager
- I enabled "Wake on Magic Packet" in the WiFi-chip's properties under advanced

When I had a look into Windows event viewer, I could see that the power-troubleshooter event said the Intel WiFi 6 AX201 woke the system from sleep.

What I did to troubleshoot:
- had a look into event viewer to see what else could've caused the wake and which other events happen prior the wake
- I saw that the system time always synchronized with the hardware clock a few seconds before or after the wake, so I tried to troubleshoot in that direction, by enabling windows to sync time with a time server and also trying to disable hardware clock synchronization however, that all didn't help
- I was also able to rule out my wireless access point sending out some signal in a 10-minute interval, because I connected my PC to two other access points (different manufacturers & networks) and it still woke up from sleep
- I also tried it with no connected WiFi network, where I found out that the PC does not wake up when it isn't connected to a wireless network but WiFi is still enabled. With that, none of the events listed below appear.
- there don't seem to be any running tasks and I also disabled the PC to wake up because of any wake timers (even though there are none configured)
- several registry edits to troubleshoot
- disabled windows fast boot

Details of the events showing up before wake (in order of occurrence):
- Kernel General:
The system time has changed to 2021-11-13T10:49:13.500000000Z from 2021-11-13T10:39:53.390555000Z.
Change Reason: System time synchronized with the hardware clock.
Process: " (PID 4).
IRTC time: 2021-11-13711:49:13 5000000007
Current time zone bias: -60
RTC time is in UTC: false
System time was based on RT time: false
- Kernel-Power:
Firmware S3 times. ResumeCount: 4, FullResume: 1677, AverageResume: 1679
- Kernel-Power:
Firmware S3 times. SuspendStart: 0, SuspendEnd: 851608
- Netwtw10:
7025 - Dump after return from D3 before cmd
- Netwtw10:
7026 - Dump after return from D3 after cmd
- Kernel-Power:
The system session has transitioned from 12 to 13.
Reason: 16
- Power-Troubleshooter:
The system has returned from a low power state.
Sleep Time: 2021-11-13T10:39:48.936406100Z
Wake Time: 2021-11-13T10:49:14.845902100Z
Wake Source: Device -Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz

My setup info:
- MSI MEG z490i Unify with BIOS version 1A (newest)
- affected device: Intel WiFi 6 AX201 160Mhz
- Windows 11 Pro 21H2
- Intel Core i7-10700K (not overclocked)

I tried to troubleshoot a lot in the last 5 days and searched a lot of forums for similar issues and followed their troubleshooting steps.. but so far nothing has worked for me. I even did a fresh install of Windows, but the problem still persists.
I hope someone here with more technical know-how than me can somehow help me!

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @JJ123

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following details?

1- Is the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed in your system or did you install/integrate it on the motherboard?

2- Is this issue happening at home, office environment, or both?

3- Routers / Access points makers and models:

4- When did it start to happen this issue? Did it work fine before at any time? Is this a new computer? Please provide details.

5- If this work fine before, do you remember if this issue happened after a new Windows update or Wireless/Bluetooth driver update?

6- Have you checked with the motherboard manufacturer to confirm full compatibility for Windows 11? For instance, checking their website for "MSI* MEG Z4901 UNIFY" under Windows 11 drivers we don't see a link for wireless drivers. Perhaps the system needs a customized driver from MSI* for Windows 11.

7- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JJ123
Beginner

Hello @AndrewG_Intel,

Thank you for your response.

1: Yes, this is the original, on-board wireless chip that came with the device.

2: This is happening at a home environment.

3: My router/AP his the FRITZ!Box 7590

4: This issue started when I set up wake on lan with the Intel Wireless chip a few weeks ago. I detailed the steps I took to enable this feature in my original post.

5: I don’t think that this has to do with a driver or windows update, as I reinstalled the Intel drivers (also did a clean install), I tried a fresh install of Windows 10 and a fresh install of Windows 11. But the issue still persists.

6: This was one of my concerns as well, but this issue is also happening on Windows 10, for which official MSI drivers are available.

7: I did run the utility and have the txt file ready. Is there a way to send it to you without uploading to the public forums here?

Thank you and with kind regards!

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello JJ123

Thank you very much for your response.

We will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile so you can send the Intel® SSU report to us without uploading it to the public forums (please also review the spam folder). However, before sending the report (and since we are missing that information to check system details) we would kindly request first to perform a Clean Installation of Wireless and Bluetooth using the current latest drivers on our Download Center (in case you haven't tried yet...). We recently released newer drivers. You may download the latest generic versions from these links:

Also, it seems that the router FRITZ!Box 7590* supports up to WiFi 5 (IEEE 802.11ac). Please also review the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity and apply the settings accordingly.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
JJ123
Beginner

Hello Andrew,

I followed your instructions and updated the drivers & did a clean installation. I also put in the recommended settings for my network as you instructed. 

I sent you the file via email.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello JJ123

Thank you for your response and for trying the recommended steps. Also, we would like to confirm that we did receive your email reply with the Intel® SSU report.

Please allow us to review this behaivor further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello JJ123

After checking this further, this could be related to the wireless card being defective, the extensive troubleshooting done, does indicate that this is not a software issue but possibly a hardware issue. We would advise taking the system to the motherboard/computer manufacturer (OEM) or the vendor for a card reseat and physical inspection.

For your convenience, here is the link to MSI* Service and Support.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello JJ123

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos