Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

ax200 slow or fails to automatically connect

MikeB_601
Beginner

I've looked at the many complaints about the AX200, but mine is slightly different.

When I start up Windows 10, cold, the AX200-based wifi card appears to connect to the router (status is "Secured") but does not fully connect through to the internet (status does not include "Connected"). Wifi in other computers (3-4 laptops and a tablet running Windows 10, 2-4 Android phones) connect automatically as expected. The check box is marked to connect automatically.

If I connect manually (click the Connect button), the card connects normally to the router and the internet. It works nominally thereafter, even over sleep events and warm restarts. This annoying (lack of) connection only occurs on a cold start.

Computer is home-built, using a MSI Z490A Pro motherboard, Intel i5-10400F CPU, 16GB RAM, and GTX750ti GPU. Ample disk space spread over 4 physical and 5 logical disks. Boot drive is a Samsung SSD, installed new in March 2021. System power usage, including monitor, is about 60W idle, 180-200W peak, with a 650W PSU.

Windows 10 is at 21H1, fully patched.

Intel drivers just updated, via the Driver and Support assistant, this week.

Finally, if I leave it alone, after startup, for a long time (5 minutes or more), the AX200 does eventually connect automatically.

The Event Log, at startup, is flooded with:

6062 - Lso was triggered

Leading eventually to an occurrence of:

Event ID 4003
WLAN AutoConfig detected limited connectivity, attempting automatic recovery.
Recovery Type: 4
Error Code: 0x0
Trigger Reason: 1
IP Family: 0

and

Event ID 10002
WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped.
Module Path: C:\Windows\system32\IntelIHVRouter08.dll

Followed by warnings from a lot of Windows services that can't access the internet. Once I manually connect, all the warnings stop.

Yes, it's mainly an annoyance. I'm forced to manually connect to the network/internet every time I do a cold start. Otherwise it works. But every other system I use (most with Intel CPUs running Windows 10 or Linux Mint 20) connects fine - so it's not an issue with the router. It's *only* with this computer and the AX200 card.

Any ideas?

PS: I couldn't find anything that would let me insert quotes, so I used the code tag. I apologize if that makes things hard to read - any alternatives?

EDIT: if it matters, one more repeated warning, usually near the beginning of the LSO flood, is:

Event 10016:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
 and APPID 
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
 to the user (redacted) SID (S-1-5-21-863946111-48333939-1840049597-1003) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_R_Intel

MikeB_601, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

Based on the information in the SSU document, we can confirm that currently, the wireless driver version installed in your system is 22.60.0.6, which is the latest Intel® wireless driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30542/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters

Keep in mind that the Intel® wireless drivers are generic, meaning they might tor might not work with your computer.

For that reason, we always recommend to install the wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

Just to let you know, when you install the wireless card separately, that is what we called a "Wireless Integration" and one of the things about that process is that in this case for example MSI, the manufacturer of the board does not have a wireless driver for the computer:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z490-A-PRO#down-driver&Win10%2064

We will do further research on this matter, but before we do that, we noticed that there is a new BIOS version released 2021-07-01 which is 7C75v2A, please get in contact directly with MSI to gather the instructions on how to update the BIOS to the latest version, test the computer and once you get the chance, please let us know the results:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z490-A-PRO#down-bios

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

MikeB_601, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the Router?

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed on the computer?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
MikeB_601
Beginner

Router is an AT&T VDSL (Uverse) gateway. reports as Arris BGW210-700, software version 2.13.4. Supports 802.11 A/B/G/N at 2.4 ghz, and N/AC at 5 hz.

The computer is new, constructed in March 2021. MSI Z490-A Pro, Intel i5-10400F, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX750ti video, generic AX200 wireless & bluetooth card from Amazon.

Worked fine initially, then began failing to connect (and dropping connections) after Windows updated to 21H1 a couple of weeks after the computer was built. EDIT: cannot roll back to an earlier version.

No hardware changes since initial build. Software changes consist of normal Window 10 updates (including that 21H1 feature update), Intel and GeForce (GPU) driver updates, and routine application software updates. Other than 21H1 being associated with the beginning of connection failures, none of the updates resulted in any change to network operation.

As it was a homebuilt computer, the card was supplied separately.

This is a home environment.

Other computers in the house include a 2 older Asus laptops (both i5, Intel built-in graphics and wifi, Windows 10 21H1), RCA tablet (Atom, 2GB RAM, Intel built-in graphics, Realtek wifi, Windows 10 21H1), and a Dell laptop from work (i5, 8GB RAM, all-Intel, Windows 10 20H2). All of them connect with the router immediately on startup, and maintain the connection well. Other devices commonly using the router, also without connection problems, include 2 phones (Nokia and Samsung), a Roku, a Samsung BD player, a PS3, a solar power system control/reporting device, 2 connected thermostats, a connected power plug, and a EV. This particular computer is the only one with an issue, and there is no change to the connection issue regardless of how many or few other devices are connected at the time (monitored via the router's user interface).

The issue has gradually improved over the last couple of Intel driver updates (one in June, one about a week ago). It now occurs only at startup, and manifests as, essentially, a very long delay in automatically connecting with the router. If I don't want to wait 5-10 minutes, I need to manually connect. It works fine after that.

EDIT: if it matters, the computer runs from UEFI BIOS with TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot enabled.

SSU report attached.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

MikeB_601, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

Based on the information in the SSU document, we can confirm that currently, the wireless driver version installed in your system is 22.60.0.6, which is the latest Intel® wireless driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30542/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters

Keep in mind that the Intel® wireless drivers are generic, meaning they might tor might not work with your computer.

For that reason, we always recommend to install the wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

Just to let you know, when you install the wireless card separately, that is what we called a "Wireless Integration" and one of the things about that process is that in this case for example MSI, the manufacturer of the board does not have a wireless driver for the computer:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z490-A-PRO#down-driver&Win10%2064

We will do further research on this matter, but before we do that, we noticed that there is a new BIOS version released 2021-07-01 which is 7C75v2A, please get in contact directly with MSI to gather the instructions on how to update the BIOS to the latest version, test the computer and once you get the chance, please let us know the results:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z490-A-PRO#down-bios

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
MikeB_601
Beginner

I downloaded and installed the updated BIOS. As an aside, it's getting tiresome (though welcome in other ways) that MSI updates the BIOS so often. Installing it requires several steps to reenable the TPM support and Secure Boot, and requires dealing with Bitlocker recovery keys. Understandable, but tiresome.

Anyway, the updated BIOS makes no difference. The wireless adapter fails to connect automatically at startup, still, but connects and runs normally after I connect manually, as above.

I took the liberty to generate a new report. Attached. I will also try restarting again and running a report before manually connecting. and attach it to another reply.

EDIT: got the wrong report. Adding the SSU report.

0 Kudos
MikeB_601
Beginner

And of course now it won't misbehave, even on a power-off restart. Next time I start up and it stays disconnected, I'll try to remember to generate another report for you.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

MikeB_601, Thank you very much for sharing those results and for providing the updated Intel® DSA and the SSU reports.

"And of course now it won't misbehave, even on a power-off restart. Next time I start up and it stays disconnected, I'll try to remember to generate another report for you." 

Perfect, no problem at all, if it stays disconnected, and once you get the chance, you can always generate another report for us to verify all the details in there.

So, just to make sure, the problem with the Intel® wireless card not getting connected automatically to the network is now fixed, or does still persists? This is just to confirm if that is the case, if by any chance the issue remains, we will be more than glad to continue providing you assistance with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
MikeB_601
Beginner

I'm going to call this closed. Connection happens automatically on startup now, within a minute or less. That BIOS update appears to have cleaned something up. Thank you for pointing me at that; I don't routinely check for BIOS updates.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

MikeB_601, You are very welcome thank you very much for confirming those details.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the problem got fixed after the BIOS update and now the Intel® wireless card does connect automatically to the network.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos