Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

bluetooth disconnection with multiple controllers

Itris
Beginner

I just bought a new laptop (legion 5 pro gen 7) running windows 11.

I have two game controllers, I can connect them one at a time via bluetooth without any problem.

But when I connect both at the same time, one of them disconnects after a few seconds.

I tried to install a new bluetooth driver. (Edit : latest OEM and latest intel)

I disabled Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power

I have no idea and can't find any solution

Could you please help me ?

Edit : I'm using dualshock 4 and dualsense

0 Kudos
32 Replies
AlHill
Super User

For this new laptop, have you contacted your manufacturer for support?  When you purchased your laptop, you paid for support.  You should use it.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Itris
Beginner

I was just doing this but since my bluetooth card is intel I thought I would find better help here.

0 Kudos
mikehd
New Contributor I

Which controllers are you trying? I tried a PS3 dualshock and a Nvidia Shield controller separately and connection was very intermittent, meaning that neither one would stay connected for very long. Connecting via USB worked very well.

I'd pursue your controller support group first.

0 Kudos
Itris
Beginner

I use dualshock 4 and dualsense which work perfectly in bluetooth but not at the same time.

0 Kudos
mikehd
New Contributor I

Your original post says you tried to install a new bluetooth driver. Was it successful?

Are you updated on your OS? Windows 10 has a bluetooth fix for lagging BT mouse: https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Bluetooth-mouse-lag-problem-on-specific-systems-with-11th-Gen/m-p/1309100/thread-id/37373

0 Kudos
Itris
Beginner

Yes no problem to install bluetooth driver
I'm on an updated Windows 11

0 Kudos
mikehd
New Contributor I

To add, check that you're on the latest BT drivers for your bluetooth card of course.

0 Kudos
Itris
Beginner

I just edited, of course I tested the latest OEM driver and the latest intel driver

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Iris,

I may jump into the conversation, but I would like to add the following:

It is important to mention that corrupted files from previous installations of drivers can linger on a system which can cause driver updates to not work as expected. Doing a clean install of the software/drivers for any hardware can help to fix specific issues that can be associated, with any additional software that might be causing malfunction. 

There are two different types of drivers, generics provided by Intel and Equipment Manufacturer drivers, that are customized to work with each specific system. The best thing to do is to use the drivers provided by the system manufacturer (OEM).

Installing this Intel generic graphics driver will overwrite any customized driver from your Computer Manufacturer (OEM). Intel’s generic graphics drivers are intended for testing; however, if, even after installing the OEM driver the issue persists, I would like to recommend installing our latest driver 22.180.0.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Itris
Beginner
This is a new PC, it was delivered to me with the latest OEM driver so a conflict with an old driver is not possible.
I have already tested the latest OEM driver and the latest Intel driver (22.180.0)
The installation and the use are fine except in the case of several bluetooth controllers.
I can still try a clean installation
0 Kudos
mikehd
New Contributor I

Perhaps there is a newer BIOS for your laptop that has fixed this?

0 Kudos
Itris
Beginner

I have also the latest bios version

0 Kudos
mikehd
New Contributor I

Not sure if this post on Reddit is referring to an Intel BT controller, but it looks like the issue has been seen before: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/q0n05e/can_not_connect_multiple_ps5_controllers_to_pc/

0 Kudos
Itris
Beginner
Yes it's the same problem, on my old laptop I could connect all the controllers without problem
0 Kudos
mikehd
New Contributor I

In this thread (https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Can-Intel-AC-9260-Bluetooth-work-with-4-concurrent-PlayStation/td-p/662264) they had same issue with multiple PS4 controllers and an earlier Intel BT controller. Interesting troubleshooting they used. The OP in that thread found that different BT controllers (non-Intel) didn't have this issue.

0 Kudos
Itris
Beginner
As I thought, it seems to be a driver problem, but I can't install an older driver on windows 11
Is it possible to install an older driver than the one that came with the PC?
0 Kudos
mikehd
New Contributor I

You'd have to search your Lenovo's support page for older versions. Might be a good idea to see if there is a community support forum on their site as well (or other forums with a dedicated Lenovo group).

0 Kudos
Itris
Beginner

I have not found any similar topic on the lenovo forum and no old driver
I tried to install an old driver from another pc (the one from the legion y520 my old pc) after running the .exe the driver doesn't seem to have installed

0 Kudos
mikehd
New Contributor I

My last suggestion is to post the issue on the Lenovo community forum just to see if there are any useful responses. 

If you've followed the earlier suggestion by @Jean_Intel  regarding a clean install and Lenovo hasn't released any newer versions, then you may have to wait for a new driver or open a warranty case with Lenovo on this defect.

0 Kudos
Itris
Beginner

I have already opened a topic on the lenovo forum but I don't have much hope :

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/bluetooth-disconnection-with-multiple-controllers/m-p/5190280?page=1#5833038

Do you have any idea how I could install an old bluetooth driver like V21.0.0.4?

0 Kudos