I recently replaced the network card in my Dell Studio 1555 laptop with an AC7260 but I'm having a hard time getting it to work.
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.
Does anyone know if this card and laptop are incompatible or something? If so is it hardware? Software?
Also if they are incompatible can someone suggest another adapter that will work?
I can't seem to get any help over on the Dell site.
Replacing the original wireless card with another one is not supported.
Please check these links for further information.
http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-011644.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade
http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-031167.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?
As Al_Hill responded, such procedure is not supported by Intel and only you computer manufacturer, in this case, Dell* can provide you a list of Intel® Wireless Adapters that are fully compatible with your system.
You also need to take into consideration that only the computer manufacturer and/or authorized technicians are entitled to do any modification on the system such as replacing the wireless adapter.
On our best effort to assist you, you are welcome to try a clean installation of the drivers using our generic ones found in our download center but there is no guarantee that it will work. For your convenience here is the link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26173/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windo... Downloads for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Package version: 19.1.0 where the driver version in it for this adapter is the following: 22.214.171.124. Here is how you can do it:
1. Download and save the drivers from the link above.
2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".
3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".
4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.
5. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.
Unfortunately, we don't have control over what re-sellers sell, however, Intel does not sell wireless adapter to end-users do to regulatory approvals which is obtained by the manufacturer of the system or commonly know as OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer).
Please, access the documentation online provided in our first interaction in order to learn more about this specific subject. We are at your disposal for any additional questions, doubts or clarifications.