Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7426 Discussions

how do i set centrino 6235 to be able to connect to wifi channel 13?

NG5
Beginner

hi guys, for many reasons, my laptop and I are in Peru for a good while, it's a Dell XPS 15 with an intel centrino 6235 with the latest intel proset drivers from january 2015, anyways, the wifi channels allowed here go from 1 to 13, in contrast with US that goes to 11, and in my new building the internet is accessed thru wifi in the channel 13, i wanna know if someone knows what to do to be able to access it cos as far as i have seen in the driver there's no place to set it, i can get to connect to other networks in the 1-11 range in starbucks and what not, but i cant use the internet in my very own place, so i dont know what to do, other than get another apartment??, please help, i shouldnt have to move because a driver doesnt let me connect to internet right?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello arang,

Have you contacted the network administrator of the building you live to see if he or she has to say about it since you can connect in other places using channels from 1 to 11? Channel 13 is for Europe. Please check this link for further information: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-006064.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Moving from One Regulatory Domain to Another and Channelization

You should be able to do that from Device manager. Here is how: Device Manager >>> Network Adapters >>> Select the wireless card and right click on it and select Properties. From the dialog box that pops up, select the tab that says Advanced and from there, select the option that says: Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b/g... and from Values, you should be able to change channel to 13 as shown in the picture below.

NG5
Beginner

Hi Guys, i tried whats in the picture changing the value to 13 BUT it only works if i somehow put my laptop as an access point (hence the ad-hoc part) not if it is infrastructure mode.

And About the Hardware ID:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_088E&SUBSYS_44608086&REV_24

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_088E&SUBSYS_44608086

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_088E&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_088E&CC_0280

thats what i got from the driver.

I spoke with my building manager about the channel 13, that channel is available here in Peru, is not Europe but it's legal here, well he said that it's a policy they use because is the best way to solve problems among tenants, because there are lots of people connected and when they use channels between 1 to 11 it gets all messy cos there are too many networks broadcasting in those.

If anyone found an idea to enable channel 13 let me know i'm about to buy an el-cheapo USB Wifi adapter and be done with it.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello arang,

Thank you for the info. If your computer came with this wireless adapter when you bought it, your best option would be to contact the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) to see if they have any updates that can enable channel 13 on the card. They should be able to tell you if your wireless card can support this channel as well as if there is compatible adapter that will support it.

Another possibility would be to use a USB adapter as you have mentioned. It is also important to verify if your computer platform is approved to support channel 13 as this is a very important point as it could prevent the OEM from providing you a compatible adapter due to FCC regulations.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello arang,

Could you please check in Device manager the hardware ID of your adapter and inform us? The OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) can provide that info as well.

0 Kudos