Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

intel wireless n 7260 not working...again

AJawo1
Beginner

Six months after getting a Lenovo T540p, my intel wireless n7260 stopped working all together. I tried re-installing the driver and updating the driver. Lenovo support ran diagnostics and then sent a tech over to replace the card. Six months later, I am now in the same situation (tried re-installing, trouble shooting, and updating the driver). Lenovo couldn't offer a suggestion as to why this is happening, so I am turning to intel for some ideas. I have a new wireless card on the way, but I would appreciate some information - I would hate to be in the same place in 6 months. Can I try another intel card?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Anna1717,

When you say it stopped working, what exactly happened? Could you be so kind and provide us as much details as possible?

Which OS are you using and what version is it? Do you recall any changes and/or updates to the system prior to this issue?

When Lenovo* replaced the card the first time, did they say what the issue was? If so, please let us know it.

0 Kudos
AJawo1
Beginner

I am running Windows 7 professional 64bit (sorry should have included that last time).

When I say stops working - I mean my computer no longer recognizes any wireless capabilities. Troubleshooting does not solve the problem. When I check go to device manager the intel n 7260 driver is disabled or the drivers are not there at all. Re-enabling and restarting my computer sometimes allows it to work for about an hour before it crashes again. If the drivers are not there at all - I can restart and they re-appear.

There were no updates this time - before lenovo replaced it last time there had just been updates (and I updated the drivers but it kept having issues).

Lenovo did not offer any suggestions (I asked a bunch of questions and the person I was talking to had no ideas).

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Anna1717,

Thank you for the detailed information. Intel recommends to always obtain the latest drivers from your http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t540p?beta=false computer manufacturer, Here is a link where you can find their contact information: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support Websites - On the other hand, Intel has recently released the latest generic version of the driver (18.40.0) for this adapter. We were wondering if you had the opportunity to try it. For your convenience, here is the link to it. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25835/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7- Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 7* File name: Wireless_18.40.0_PROSet64_win7.exe

In cases like this, a clean installation may resolve the issue, here is how you can do it.

1. Download and save the drivers from the link informed above.

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Wireless-N 7260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Reboot or scan for hardware changes, then uninstall and delete any older driver versions as you did for the Wireless adapter.

6. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

Please let us know if this helped you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Anna1717,

We have not heard from you in a while so we would like to know if the troubleshooting we have sent you the other day helped you resolve the issue. Please let us know as soon as possible.
0 Kudos