Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

iwlwifi Microcode SW error detected

tuxzz
Beginner

Hi,
Since I bought my Intel 9260AC card about 1 year ago, it often reports `Microcode SW error` and disconnect from my AP on Linux. 
This problem occurred more frequently when I running network application such as HTTP crawler or qBittorrent all night. 

When this problem occurred, I have to reboot to reconnect the network.

I've tried several combinations of kernel version(all kernels are 5.x) and firmware version, it doesn't work.

My router is Huawei TC5200. I've tried to switch between 2.4G/5G band, different channels, or different encryption method, all of them doesn't work.

My Linux release is ArchLinux.

Please see attachments to look output from dmesg.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Victor_G_Intel

Hello tuxzz,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist you please provide the following report and information to continue with your support request.

-Please run the following tool and attach the report generated.  

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

Download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-the-Linux-Operating-System

Instructions:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26735/eng/ReleaseNotes.txt

-Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?

-Have you installed any recent software or hardware in your system?

-Were you able to have your wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before?

-Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or driver update?

-Are you able to replicate the issue? If you are, please provide us with a step by step guide with the expected outcome for each step to see if we can investigate this further on our end.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
tuxzz
Beginner

Hi,

The report generated by Intel® SSU was upload as attachment.

-Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?

I installed this adapter 1 years ago.

-Have you installed any recent software or hardware in your system?

No, except regularly system update.

-Were you able to have your wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before?

On Windows 10, it works pretty well. On Linux, the connection performance is great if the `iwlwifi Microcode SW error detected` was not occurred. When the issue occurred, I have to reboot to get the connection back.

-Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or driver update?

No. This issue occures randomly on Linux since I install it. 

-Are you able to replicate the issue? If you are, please provide us with a step by step guide with the expected outcome for each step to see if we can investigate this further on our end.

Maybe. I can't find the exact step to replicate this issue. But it occurrs randomly and frequently.

I feel that it occurrs more frequently if I run network applications that open many connections, such as qBittorrent and website crawler.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello tuxzz,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We appreciate the information provided and the report as well, in this case, based on the behavior that you are experiencing our recommendation when it comes to any problems while using the applications (HTTP crawler, qBittorrent) in question or what would be the relationship of the disconnection with the adapter itself, you should be able to discuss everything with the respective developer of each app.

When it comes to the adapter itself, our only recommendation will be for you to test the respective kernel and driver as stated in the following link and if the issue persists you should contact your respective motherboard manufacturer to check the compatibility of your motherboard with this Linux distribution mostly because Microcode errors are more related to the motherboard’s chipset and BIOS than any other component in your build.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello tuxzz,

We will proceed to close this thread; however, if you need any additional information you are more than welcome to submit a new question, just bear in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos