Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

replace 8260ngw with ax210ngw

wedge
Novice

Hello,

I would like to replace my 8260ngw card with an ax210ngw on my asus UX510UWK laptop pc. The card seems to be detected by windows 10, the bluetooth works, but not the wifi. wifi is disabled and cannot be reactivated. I have tried removing the drivers, reinstalled, without success. is the card incompatible? a solution to switch to wifi6?
thank you for your reply

Here is the SSU information and photo of wifi slot.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It's got to be something about this laptop; I have successfully upgraded to a AX210NGW in one of my NUCs and in an older (4th gen) PC. Perhaps the BIOS has implemented Inclusion/Exclusion lists that disallow this module...

...S

0 Kudos
wedge
Novice

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. There is no whitelist in the bios.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Having no Inclusion list does not guarantee that there isn't any Exclusion list. As Andy Grove said, 'Only the paranoid survive.'
...S
0 Kudos
wedge
Novice

Another help ?

thanks

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @wedge

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Based on the Intel® System Support Utility report (Intel® SSU) and the screenshot, we noticed that the wireless card installed is the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260. Is this the card that you are currently using? Or did you already remove it and install the new Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 (Gig+)?

Just to make sure we understand correctly, is the issue with the new Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 (Gig+)? If yes, did the problems start from the very first day that you integrated the wireless card? Or were you able to have your wireless connection in a normal/expected behavior using the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210?

Also, is there any error message? Or is there an error code in Windows* Device Manager? For instance, please go to Device Manager >> Network Adapters >> Intel® Wireless Adapter >> Properties >> General tab >> Device Status to verify if any error is present. Or is the card not even available on Device Manager?

In regards to the compatibility concern, this is a question that needs to be addressed directly to the computer manufacturer. Have you already check with ASUS* Support regarding this matter?

This is since the installation or use of Intel® Wireless Adapters is subject to country-specific legal regulations. When an end-user installs a wireless card on a system that did not come with it from the factory, this is what we call "Wireless Integration" and it may cause connection issues or software-hardware errors. For more information please review the following links:

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
wedge
Novice

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
Indeed, the objective is to replace the AC8260 by the AX210. The SSU indicates the presence of the AC8260 because I needed to connect to the internet. And so I had to put the old card back.

Yes, the problems start from the very first day that i integrated the wireless card.

I just tried a new installation of Windows 10 with the AX210 card installed, installing the drivers available on the intel site. The card is detected by windows, without error but no network is accessible. It is in "deactivated" status and cannot be activated
Attached is the SSU with the AX210 card.

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, maybe dumb thought, but have you tried a clean install? Changing the wireless card usually requires a clean reinstall. 

Here's my process (quickly modified) for performing the necessary clean WLAN Install: 

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are links to these  drivers: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-a... and https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649/intel-wireless-bluetooth-for-windows-10.html. 
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From the Apps & Features applet, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to Step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled throughout.
  6. From the Device Manager applet, check the Network Adapters section for any entries for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 or Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX210 and check the Bluetooth section for an entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth that has an intel driver associated with it. If neither is the case, go to Step 10.
  7. Right click on each entry for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 or Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX210 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Right click on the entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth and open its properties. If it has an Intel driver associated with it, then uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  9. Go to Step 5.
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. I recommend that you checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  11. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  12. Install the Bluetooth driver package (my rule: always do Bluetooth first).
  13. Install the Wireless driver package.
  14. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  15. Enable Internet access.
  16. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
wedge
Novice

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. I have already tried this procedure in my actual system.

I also tried a new fresh installation of Windows 10 with the AX210 card installed, installing the last drivers available on the intel site. The card is detected by windows, without error but no network is accessible. It is in "deactivated" status and cannot be activated

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello wedge

We are checking this thread and considering that you are able to access the Internet using the original adapter (Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260), and the issue persists with the new Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 even after a fresh installation of Windows* and drivers, at this point our recommendation is to review this directly with your computer manufacturer (OEM) for further assistance. For instance, to verify that the computer is up to date (BIOS, firmware, operating system, etc), if the wireless card is properly installed, and even to check if this could be a compatibility or hardware issue. For your convenience, here is the link to ASUS* Support.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
wedge
Novice

Hello,

Thank you for your responses and your help. After several tests and a lot of research, I found the problem. This is a hardware limitation. Indeed, the bluetooth worked perfectly, but not the wifi. The wifi was identified as deactivated, it was impossible to activate it. The drivers were ok, no problem with the system.
I ended up stumbling upon this site: https://thecomputerperson.wordpress.com/2016/11/04/how-to-mask-off-the-wifi-power-off-pins-on-m-2- ngff-wireless-cards-the-old-mini-pci-pin-20-trick /

Certainly a material limitation of the motherboard, I "masked" the 2 pins managing wifi and bluetooth on / off and miracle: The wifi works! I have also checked that the airplane mode is working properly etc ... everything is working fine.

I suppose this solution is not very good for "Intel", but it allowed to correct my problem. It may be able to troubleshoot other users.

Thank you again for your answers. Good continuation

0 Kudos
Overlord
Novice

Is this a problem with all AX210NGW or just for this particular machine/laptop that you have?  I have the same problem with my old wifi card installed in Asus TUF FA50611 and I already pre-ordered an AX210NGW as a replacement for my old one.

0 Kudos
wedge
Novice

Hello,

I am not an expert, but for me this is not a problem with AX210NGW cards, certainly a peculiarity of some motherboards / manufacturer.
Some manufacturers block the starting of the laptop if the wifi card is not a model referenced in the bios. Others (like mine) seem to more sneakily block the use of other wifi cards.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Overlord,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Also, thank you @wedge for your response and for sharing the feedback regarding the workaround that you found. Even though we don't recommend this type of "solution", we are glad to know that this has worked for your case.

When it comes to Wireless Integration, this could be one of the scenarios due to incompatibility problems. The most common root causes of these types of problems are:

• The driver has not been validated/customized for the configuration (PC/laptop + Wireless card + Operating System)
  • The system may require a firmware update.
  • The system connector for the wireless card is not designed (at the electronic or physical level) to work with the Intel® Wireless adapter.
  • There is a limitation from the computer manufacturer (OEM), for instance, at the BIOS level.

It is worth mentioning that we cannot validate the type of workarounds described in the third-party link. Also, considering that the installation or use of Intel® Wireless Adapters is subject to country-specific legal regulations, our general recommendation is to always verify first with the computer manufacturer before replacing the wireless card.

Overlord, since you mentioned you would be replacing the wireless card on your system, if any issue is present when integrating the wireless card we suggest checking with your OEM first to confirm full compatibility.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.