oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.
1422 Discussions

Can't modify/remove Fortran 23 compiler installation (blank installer window)

ElseIfThen
New Contributor I

I only had VS2022 installed when I installed Intel Fortran 23 via the command line (as I described in detail  here). Now I installed VS2019 and need Fortran compiler integration for this version too.

So either I need to modify or remove and then re-install the Fortran compiler

But there's no obvious way to uninstall or modify the installation via the command line, e.g.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\Installer\installer.exe" -s --action remove --install-dir=d:\i23 --components all --download-cache D:\temp\download_cache --eula accept

in various combinations of the command line arguments/options does not work; I only get some window shortly opening but closing again immediately.

When I try

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\Installer\installer.exe" --list-components

I only get:

Installer failed with error Failed to create package manager database location.

Now since noone at Intel seems to be capable of solving the problem with the blank oneAPI installer window (re-installing Windows is not an option), I kindly ask you to either:

• show me how to use the CLI installer to achieve what I want, or
  • tell me another way to remove the Fortran compiler installation, or
  • provide me with screenshots of the "Uninstaller" and/or the "Modify Installation" window so that I can guess where in the window I would have to click in order to proceed with the respective action (Uninstall or Modify)
  • Alternatively/additionally, could you please provide me with the number of times I have to press TAB in order to get to which option in the blank installer window?

Thank you!

Mention: @Barbara_P_Intel 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Claudio_G_Intel

Hi, Sorry Thomas we shared the answer through the ticketing system.

Here's the same information we shared:

Recommendations for uninstall via cmd: 

1.  To get product id run
  2. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\Installer\installer.exe" --list-products
  3. under user with administrative permissions. Should get intel.oneapi.win.hpckit.product id with version (like 2023.2.0-49439) printed in console.
  4. Pass product id and product version for uninstall:
  5. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\Installer\installer.exe" -s --action remove --product-id intel.oneapi.win.hpckit.product --product-ver 2023.2.0-49439

Possible workaround for UI issues: open new console, set environment variable set QT_QUICK_BACKEND=software, run installer "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\Installer\installer.exe" from this console.

Could you try this out and let us know if this was helpful?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Vipin_Singh1

Hi Thomas, Could you please share the below details with us?

• Version of Microsoft Visual Studio installed along with it's build version.
  • OS build on which you are installing the product.
  • Exact version of Intel® Toolkit or Intel® Compiler (if it's Stand-Alone Component)
  • Other versions of Intel® Parallel Studio XE or Intel® oneAPI already installed on the system.

To assist you further, we would require these details.

0 Kudos
ElseIfThen
New Contributor I

VS2022 Professional 17.9.6
VS2019 Professional 16.11.36 <= I need Fortran integration for this
Windows 10.0.19045
oneAPI 2023.2, ifort 2021.10.0 Build 20230609_000000

No other Intel Parallel Studio installed currently but have been in the past (12, 16, 19).

0 Kudos
Vipin_Singh1

Hi Thomas, we have sent you a private message. Kindly check your community inbox.

0 Kudos
Emmalily
Beginner

Hi,

It sounds like you're having a challenging time with the Intel Fortran compiler installation and integration with VS2019. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve this issue:

1. Modify Installation via GUI: Since the CLI isn't cooperating, you might try using the GUI to modify your installation. Even though you mentioned issues with a blank installer window, sometimes running the installer as an administrator can help. Right-click on installer.exe and select "Run as administrator."

2. Uninstall and Reinstall: If modifying the installation isn't an option, you can uninstall and reinstall the Intel Fortran compiler:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Go to Programs > Programs and Features.
    • Find Intel oneAPI Toolkit in the list, select it, and click "Uninstall."
  3. Reinstall Intel Fortran Compiler: After uninstalling, reinstall the Intel Fortran compiler, ensuring both VS2022 and VS2019 are detected during installation. You can download the installer from the Intel website if you don't have it already.

4. Command Line Removal: If the GUI approach fails and you must use the command line, make sure you're running the command prompt as an administrator. Here’s a modified version of your command:

shell
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\Installer\installer.exe" -s --action remove --install-dir "d:\i23" --components all --download-cache "D:\temp\download_cache" --eula accept

Ensure the paths and syntax are correct, and try running it again

5. Tab Navigation in Blank Installer: If you're stuck with a blank installer window and must use tab navigation blindly, here's a rough guide:

• Open the installer.
    • Press TAB multiple times to navigate through the options. Usually, the number of presses to reach the uninstall option can vary, but you might try pressing TAB 5-10 times, then press ENTER.
    • For the "Modify Installation" option, it could be fewer. Try 3-5 TAB presses followed by ENTER.
  6. Intel Support: If none of these steps work, reaching out to Intel support directly or checking their forums for similar issues might provide a more tailored solution.

Best of luck with resolving the issue!

For those looking to boost their Instagram presence, you can download the TopFollow app and get unlimited coins.

0 Kudos
ElseIfThen
New Contributor I

1. I'm not using the CLI because I'm so fond of using an undocumented tool; I'm using it because the graphical installer does not work. Anyway, running installer.exe as an administrator didn't change anything; same blank window

2. Umm... the installer window is blank, which is why I'm asking this question in the first place?

3. see 2.

4. That did not work either; a window pops up for a split second after confirming the Admin rights dialog just to close again without having achieved anything. No command line output (error message etc.) either

5. Could you please be more specific? I gave the version of the installer, could you please post detailed screenshots of the installer window(s) with annotations which option will be selected if I press Tab which number of times, i.e. write numbers on the respective controls.

6. How do I do that?

0 Kudos
ElseIfThen
New Contributor I

How do I contact Intel Support?

Alternatively, how can I manually remove the Intel Fortran compiler installation without the use of any of Intel's tools.

What do I have to delete, which registry keys do I need to modify? I want the installer not to recognize there's an Intel Fortran compiler installed anymore so I can do a re-installation (upon which I hope to get the compiler integration for both, VS 19 and VS 22).

It's kinda urgent (I'm getting nervous because I've got work to do with the compiler), so please, anyone feel free to chime in to provide me with this information.

0 Kudos
Vipin_Singh1

Hi Thomas, please note that older versions of Intel® Toolkits are not available publicly, only the latest version Intel® Toolkits and other latest products are available for download and installation. To uninstall the existing versions, kindly refer to the below link:

Intel® oneAPI Toolkits Installation Guide for Windows

Intel® has decided that Intel® Toolkits Versions: 2024.0.0 and earlier are not supported anymore. We urge users to upgrade to the latest version of Intel® developer tools. The unsupported versions do not include the latest functional and security updates. These versions are targeted to be removed after a period. We understand that this might be challenging, but it's important to note that the users with active priority support can only access older product versions.

For more information refer to the link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/release-notes/oneapi-supported-product-versions.htm, and scroll down to the Unsupported Product Version.

Intel® oneAPI users with active Intel Priority Support can access older versions via a secure portal you gain access to as part of your support subscription. 

FAQ's Priority Support Link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/get-help/faq-priority-support.html

0 Kudos
ElseIfThen
New Contributor I

I don't quite understand what you're saying with this answer. Does it mean "We (Intel) do leave you with a corrupt installation and a non-functional product (for VS2019) because we decided to drop support for a product one year old"? Or do I misinterpret that?

Moreover, the link you cited reads "Intel recommends users of these archived products uninstall and discontinue use as soon as possible and upgrade to the latest version."

This is precisely what I am asking in this thread: How do I uninstall the Fortan compiler when the graphical installer is broken (from the very beginning) and the command line installer refuses its work either when it comes to trying to uninstall.

Am I supposed to re-install Windows now in order to be able to use an Intel Fortran compiler?? If my company dealt with its customers that way, we'd be out of business already. I'm sorry, but I hope you understand that I am frustrated and annoyed.

0 Kudos
Vipin_Singh1

Hi Thomas, we have sent you a private message. Kindly check your community inbox.

0 Kudos
ElseIfThen
New Contributor I

Dear Vipin_Singh1, the article you shared refers to an older version of the oneAPI ("Intel® oneAPI Toolkits 2022.1.3 and earlier") than the one I'm dealing with (2023.2) and my problem is that the oneAPI installer window is blank, so I cannot uninstall/modify the oneAPI at all (either of which seems to be necessary in order to get VS2019 integration).

0 Kudos
Vipin_Singh1

0 Kudos
Vipin_Singh1

0 Kudos
ElseIfThen
New Contributor I

Two months have passed, no help/feedback from Intel, the installer and consequently the Fortran compiler are still not working and I cannot even uninstall…

0 Kudos
Claudio_G_Intel

Hi, Sorry Thomas we shared the answer through the ticketing system.

Here's the same information we shared:

Recommendations for uninstall via cmd: 

1.  To get product id run
  2. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\Installer\installer.exe" --list-products
  3. under user with administrative permissions. Should get intel.oneapi.win.hpckit.product id with version (like 2023.2.0-49439) printed in console.
  4. Pass product id and product version for uninstall:
  5. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\Installer\installer.exe" -s --action remove --product-id intel.oneapi.win.hpckit.product --product-ver 2023.2.0-49439

Possible workaround for UI issues: open new console, set environment variable set QT_QUICK_BACKEND=software, run installer "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\Installer\installer.exe" from this console.

Could you try this out and let us know if this was helpful?

0 Kudos
ElseIfThen
New Contributor I

What actually worked was to open an Administrator command prompt and do

• set QT_QUICK_BACKEND=software

and then execute

• "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\Installer\installer.exe"

Then the installer GUI opened showing the expected content.

So I was correct with my suspicion I wrote to @Vipin_Singh1 two months before the helpful response from @Claudio_G_Intel  that it is a QT quick issue:

"Since this is obviously not a 1st or 2nd Level support issue that can be solved by applying standard solutions from help articles, I'd appreciate it if you could escalate it and connect me to a developer who implemented the oneAPI installer mechanism or its GUI. The GUI seems to use the Qt6 toolkit, in particular its QML functionality, which I suspect to be the culprit of the blank window."

Note that it did not work when doing it from an ordinary command prompt and confirming the Admin prompt popup, nor did it work from an Administrator command prompt without setting QT_QUICK_BACKEND to software.

Anyway, I could finally get the Intel Fortran compiler integration for VS2019 to work now using the oneAPI installer GUI.

0 Kudos