oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.
1285 Discussions

How to link ABAQUS with Intel One API toolkits to run FORTRAN SUBROUTINES

AsimGautam
Novice

Hi

I am not able to link ABAQUS with Intel One API. I installed the INTEL ONE API Base toolkit and ONE API HPC toolkits. In the past there used to be INTEL PARALLEL STUDIO and the old fashioned way to link ABAQUS with INTEL PARALLEL STUDIO (to run the FORTRAN subroutines in ABAQUS) was by editing the ABAQUS2019.bat file located at the commands directory inside simulia folder and by calling the batch files ifortvars and mklvars but now it is not possible to link ABAQUS with ONE API as those batch files are not present inside the ONE API directory. Intel has highlighted that ONE API toolkit is the replacement of the older INTEL PARALLEL STUDIO.

Please help me to link the ABAQUS with the ONE API toolkit so that I can use it to run FORTRAN subroutines in ABAQUS. 

The procedure I followed for reference.

Installed Microsoft visual studio 

Installed one API base toolkit

Installed one API HPC toolkit

Installed ABAQUS

Now I am stuck what to do ?? Please help me out.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
SAR24
Beginner

Hi @oaeres ,

Thanks for your suggestion. I've managed to link back my Abaqus to fortran compiler. 

For those who wants to try at your own risk, below are the steps I took:

(My previous setup was Abaqus 2019 + VS 2019 + Intel Parallel XE)

1) I didn't bother to uninstall parallel XE. So I leave it as is. 

2) Install OneAPI Base kit first, then install OneAPI HPC kit. Select all recommended installation.

3) Once both installation completed, edit abq2019.bat (in C:\Simulia\Commands). Need to set path for fortran compiler and mkl. Refer lines below:

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\2021.1.1\windows\bin\intel64;
call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\2021.1.1\env\vars.bat" -arch intel64
call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\mkl\2021.1.1\env\vars.bat" intel64

Then, save the file.

4) Now need to edit abaqus_v6.env file (in C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\SimulationServices\V62019X\win_b64\SMA\site) as follow:

# abaqus V6 Environment File
# This file is used to import other environment files located in the site
# directory. Custom parameters can be added here, but it is recommended to
# use the custom_v6.env file instead.

import os, driverUtils

# Utility function for loading site environment files
def importEnv(name, ldict=locals(), gdict=globals()):
from driverUtils import locateSite, locateFile
env = locateFile(locateSite(), '', name)
if env:
execfile(env, gdict, ldict)
else:
print "Cannot locate environment file: ", name

# Import parameters common to all platforms
importEnv('basic_v6.env')

# Import MPI specific parameters
importEnv('mpi_config.env')

# Import platform specific parameters such as compiler and linker settings
platform = driverUtils.getPlatform()
importEnv(driverUtils.getPlatform() + '.env')

# onCaeGraphicsStartup() function to configure graphics
# card specific settings for CAE & Viewer
importEnv('graphicsConfig.env')

# Import site specific parameters such as licensing and doc parameters
importEnv('custom_v6.env')

del importEnv, driverUtils, platform

compile_fortran += ['/names:lowercase',]

Then, save the file.

5) To double check if the link is successful, go to Abaqus Commands, and enter command below without the " " marks:

"abaqus info=system" (note here the fortran compiler is successfully linked with 2021.1.1 version)

"abaqus verify -all" (abaqus will conduct tests on all installed modules include subroutine examples)

Hopefully it helps to those who just got their student license on Parallel XE expired!

View solution in original post

93 Replies
SiangZhou
Beginner

Hi, 

I was trying with ABAQUS 2017 for a few days and it would not work, then I re-install with ABAQUS 2020 and it worked. Maybe one thing you could try is another (newer) version of ABAQUS. Not sure whether this is the right solution, but hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Sadeep
Beginner

Thanks. I tried with Abaqus 2020 and It works. Seems to be not working for Abaqus 2017.

0 Kudos
shogi
Beginner

Hi, can anyone help me with regards to this. I am finding it quite hard to follow through the steps as I am not accustomed to computer programing etc. I had ABAQUS 2019 already installed and have now installed Visual Studio 2019 and Intel OneAPI (2021) Base Toolkit + HPC Toolkit. I would also like to know if using an academic teaching license for ABAQUS affects the linking procedure in any way. Thank you.

0 Kudos
jshen
Beginner

@shogi 

Hi Shogi, just follow the steps that was selected as the solution in this discussion, I have the same softwares as yours and I think there should be not a issue if you are running with simple UMAT problem, though I can't guarantee it's the real solution for everyone, like in my case, the simulation fails without any specific error source, though it passed all the verification.

0 Kudos
anis
Beginner

hey jhsen, i am actually having the same issue as you, did you solve it or not ?

0 Kudos
Alex22
Beginner

I would like further help with this very query. I cannot use Parallel studio XE as it doesn't seem to be downloadable anywhere on intel's website. I have API basic toolkit and API HPC toolkit yet when I look on visual studio there are no links to Intel Parallel studio as is suggested in this link (PDF) Installing Abaqus User Subroutine: Linking ABAQUS 2020 - Visual Studio 2019 -Parallel Studio XE 2020 Fortran Compiler (researchgate.net)

I also cannot seem to run the Dflux subroutine with the student software package. So at the moment I have hit a huge roadblock. Please help.

Alex

0 Kudos
smho
Beginner

Hi all, not sure if anyone is still having trouble.  For some reason, the posted solution did not work for me, but the alternate solution here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/349991987_Linking_ABAQUS_2019_and_Intel_oneAPI_Base_Toolkit_FORTRAN_Compiler

worked for me. I think for me the added step of changing the system variables did the trick.

Note I have Abaqus 2020 and Intel OneAPI 2021.2.0 release, and had to change the names as needed in the steps.

0 Kudos
sbksrini
Beginner

Hi all, I was able to link Abaqus 2019 with intel OneAPI toolkit and when run verification it says pass. However when I try to run subroutines, the Abaqus simulation throws up an error. There is not much information in the log file. I have attached it here. Is there any solution for this specific problem? 

0 Kudos
mini
Beginner

Hi, can anyone help me with regards to this. I had ABAQUS2020  and have installed Visual Studio 2019 and Intel OneAPI (2021) Base Toolkit + HPC Toolkit(2021.2.0).

I followed all the steps outlines by SARS24 but still I get an error saying "Problem during compilation".

I think c++ compiler have problem...

Please let me know if anyone has a solution for this. 

0 Kudos
AsimGautam
Novice

Please go through this.

0 Kudos