oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.
1258 Discussions

Intel Fortran installation hangs on splash screen

RoyMax
Novice

Issue is installing Intel Parallel Studio XE 2020 update 4 on Windows 10.  The installer successfully unpacks the components and launches the Intel Fortran installation splash screen.  After a few seconds, the splash screen disappears and nothing else happens.  I can find no install log or error messages.  I have tried multiple downloads of the online and offline install packages, running the unpacked setup.exe, and earlier update versions.  We have had this issue on multiple workstations in our organization, but have also successfully installed the same package on others. 

We have been using Intel Fortran and MS Visual Studio for over a decade and have been through multiple versions and installations.  This reinstall was prompted by new workstations and the need to migrate from the Visual Studio Enterprise to the VS Professional edition, and we were careful to install Visual Studio 2019 for compatibility with Intel Fortran 2020.  We are staying with the older version for commonality within our organization and our suppliers. 

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot the issue would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ArpanB_Intel

Roy, please follow the below steps>

1. Close Intel® installers if any.
  2. Uninstall all Microsoft Visual Studio instances and Visual Studio Installer.
  3. Important: check that C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Setup\x86\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll does not exist anymore. If it was not removed with Microsoft Visual Studio for some reason, please unregister the DLL using
  4. REGSVR32 /U C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Setup\x86\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll
  5. command in Command Prompt as Administrator, and then rename the file to Backup_Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll so the Intel® Installer can't load it.
  6. Uninstall older Intel® Parallel Studio XE and Intel® oneAPI products.

Install required versions of Microsoft Visual Studio supported by the Intel® Parallel Studio XE or Intel® oneAPI. See the full list here> Intel® Compilers Compatibility with Microsoft Visual Studio* and Xcode*.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
JNichols
New Contributor I

I was playing with PSXE a few weeks ago, and the install stopped at the splash screen.  This problem occurred on Windows 11, but I have not been able to solve it.  

As far as I am aware you should be able to update to VS 2022 and oneapi with no significant problems sharing stuff with people who are not using this combination.  I mean the rate of change of Fortran can be measured in terms of changes per century and this is a small number.  

I run 2019 and 2022 interchangeably and no problems have occurred.  

Good luck.  

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

Since this is an installation issue, I'm moving this to the Registration and Installation Forum.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Hi Roy, do you have any other version of Microsoft Visual Studio installed in your system apart from VS19? If so, could you confirm the versions with us.

Also, we would like to know if you have any older version of Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit, Intel® Parallel Studio XE or Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit installed on your system or not.

0 Kudos
RoyMax
Novice

Thank you for your help.  I am having the issue on a new workstation without any of the other software you mention installed..

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Roy, we have contacted you privately with some information. Please check your inbox for further updates.

0 Kudos
RoyMax
Novice

Thank you, but the files mentioned in the private email were not attached.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Roy, we have again contacted you with the .zip file internally. Please check your inbox and confirm if you are able to find the file.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Roy, please follow the below steps>

1. Close Intel® installers if any.
  2. Uninstall all Microsoft Visual Studio instances and Visual Studio Installer.
  3. Important: check that C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Setup\x86\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll does not exist anymore. If it was not removed with Microsoft Visual Studio for some reason, please unregister the DLL using
  4. REGSVR32 /U C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Setup\x86\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll
  5. command in Command Prompt as Administrator, and then rename the file to Backup_Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll so the Intel® Installer can't load it.
  6. Uninstall older Intel® Parallel Studio XE and Intel® oneAPI products.

Install required versions of Microsoft Visual Studio supported by the Intel® Parallel Studio XE or Intel® oneAPI. See the full list here> Intel® Compilers Compatibility with Microsoft Visual Studio* and Xcode*.

RoyMax
Novice

This worked!  I think the key was getting rid of the MS VS Setup Config DLL.

Thanks!

Roy

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Roy, thank you for sharing the confirmation. We are glad that the issue is resolved.

If you have any further queries, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel®.

0 Kudos