oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.
1285 Discussions

Update oneAPI with previous version already installed.

timbuzz6
Beginner

If I have oneAPI Basekit 2021.3 installed, and I want to update to oneAPI Basekit 2021.4 must I:

a) Uninstall 2021.3 and then install 2021.4

b) Just install 2021.4 and it will update 2021.3.

I tried running the 2021.4 Basekit installer GUI, but it provides no update. In fact it does not mention the existence of 2021.3. I don't need both versions. So to restate how do I update without having two versions on the machine.

I am running Win 10.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ArpanB_Intel

Hi Tim, go to Control Panel and search for the Toolkit under the installed Programs section. Double click on the Toolkit name and you should find a dialog box with multiple options. The options include Modify, Get Started Guide and Update. Click on the Update button and it should update the software to it's most recent release.

0 Kudos
Al_Worth
Beginner

This is somewhat helpful, but what about if the computer is offline and the existing toolkit was installed using the offline download by simply executing the downloaded toolkit file and you'd like to do the same thing with the new update? Should this work?

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

That should be fine as well. However, if that's the case, we would suggest you to uninstall the earlier update first and then proceed with the full package download and offline installation of the latest 2021.4 update.

0 Kudos
Al_Worth
Beginner

The reason I asked is because I did try to update offline by simply running the Base Toolkit offline download file for 2021.4. Rather than simply update, since my original installation did not include Python and I wanted to add it, I checked the Python box on the custom installation page in addition to the installed components which were already checked. The installer spent quite a while going through its process and then showed an error message stating that it couldn't find the internet to download the Python component. That's correct because the computer is offline. However the only choice the error window gave was to keep trying various other internet proxy approaches or quit the install. I chose quit and it proceeded to unroll all the progress it had already made. After more than a half hour of unrolling I quit the installer.

Since I was not sure what state I had left the original installation in I re-ran the 2021.3 installer in the repair mode. I then ran it in the modify mode and added the 2021.3 Python component. Following that I ran the 2021.4 installer in the normal (not custom) mode which then ran to successful completion including the Python components.

I think the original 2021.4 update's attempt to download the Python components from the internet despite being run from the offline file on the computer's SSD is a bug in the installer. Somehow it doesn't properly (or at least graciously) deal with the case where a user attempts to add a component at the same time as updating a previous installation.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Hi, please click here> Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation, and post the same message so that we can work on your query separately.

Have a nice day!

0 Kudos
Al_Worth
Beginner

Please feel free to move my reply to another thread if it will help you to look into it.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Hi, we would need a new thread to work on your query since it is unique. Unfortunately, we are cannot create a thread on behalf of our users from our end. Thus, we suggest you to please click here> Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation, and post the same message so that we can work on your query.

Have a nice day!

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Tim, we assume that your issue is resolved. If you have any additional queries, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel®.

0 Kudos