Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16623 Discussions

modelsim-altera problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i have download modelsim-altera 6.1Ed from the altera web side. 

when i tried to open then message window appear with the license issue. 

"the environment variable for modelsim-altera is not set, give address in the following preferrance"  

1. MGLS_LICENSE_FILE 

2. LM_LICENSE_FILE 

please help me
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi rizwan, 

you need to create new environment variable of those name, and the make those new variable point to where your license file location.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you may want to upgrade to a newer ModelSim-Altera Starter Edition which does not require a license

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

sir i have quartus II v6.0, dsp builder v6.0 and nios II v6.0 (provided with cyclone II kit v6.0) 

can i use newer ModelSim-Altera Starter Edition v6.6c with these softwares?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi rizwan, 

newer software should be better than older one. why don't obtain the new one? Quartus 10.1 also support cyclone II device, you can download it from altera site or order a free DVD software. 

here is the link you can order DVD software : https://www.altera.com/literature/quartus2/q2acds-dvd.jsp
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I haven't tried it but I think that you can use a more recent modelsim version with an older installation of Quartus. 

You may need to call Modelsim yourself though, I don't know if an older version of Quartus would be able to automatically launch a newer version of Modelsim without any problems. 

There could be some reasons to stay with older versions of Quartus, one of them being an expired subscription license and the need to use features that aren't available on the web edition.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Quartus should be able to launch newer versions of ModelSim, you have to tell it the location of the vsim binary you want to run 

you will probably want to recompile all of the simulation libraries if you're using a newer version of ModelSim-AE with older Quartus projects (using the eda/sim_lib files from the older Quartus version)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

you will probably want to recompile all of the simulation libraries if you're using a newer version of ModelSim-AE with older Quartus projects... 

--- Quote End ---  

Be careful doing that. ModelSim Altera has some limitations on the number of lines or instances. The precompiled libraries don't count for this limit. But they will count once you recompile them yourself.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

interesting point

0 Kudos