Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Analyze the performance of the processor using SPEC CPU2006 Benchmarks on Intel Vtune performance analyzer

Leena_N_
Beginner

Hi,

I am trying to analyze the performance of the processor using SPEC CPU2006 Benchmarks on Intel Vtune performance analyzer. I want to compile the benchmarks to get the binaries. I am using core 2Duo(x86-64bit) and windows7 and I have installed Intel c++ compiler( Intel composer XE 2013). I want to know how to compile the benchmarks using Intel c++ compiler.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
9 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Leena:

I'm afraid that is a very broad question.  Since I don't know how to build SPEC CPU2006, I can't tell you how to do it with the Intel compiler.  Is there a makefile?  I assume you can substitute 'icc' for 'gcc'?

Does anyone else on the forum have any experience building this benchmark?

Leena, did you post this question on the compiler forum?

0 Kudos
Leena_N_
Beginner

Hi Anderson,

I have posted that on the Intel c++ compiler.

I have installed the benchmarks on windows. I want to compile these benchmarks on intel c++ compiler since the programs are written in c, c++ and fortran. I have both icc and visual studio2010 installed on my system. I want to know how to compile them

0 Kudos
Melanie_B_Intel
Employee

To learn how to build the spec benchmarks, read some of the documentation on the spec website e.g. start here:

http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/Docs/

They have special documentation for folks who want to do specialized builds e.g.

http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/Docs/

if you want to build with the Intel compiler, you'll need to customize the .cfg file, info here: http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/Docs/config.html  It looks like vtune wants you to build with debug symbols ( /Z7 or /Zi on the compile and link steps)

you'll need to build the benchmarks from a windows command file (there's no visual studio solution), so you'll need to set up the compiler environment.  The iclvars.bat whicih is part of the icl compiler installation will set up the environment within cmd.exe.

0 Kudos
Leena_N_
Beginner

Hi

I compiled the integer benchmarks, but I could not compile many of the floating point benchmarks because they use fortran. I have also installed intel fortran composer xe2013 and I have integrated on visual studio 2010. I have intel fortran compiler-64bit. but its still not working. Can anyone suggest me which exact compiler I should use to compile those FP benchmarks...

0 Kudos
Melanie_B_Intel
Employee

The Intel fortran compiler is called "ifort".  I imagine you'd modify the spec benchmark .cfg files to use the ifort compiler, remember to add /Zi or /Z7 to the compile and link lines to get the debug symbols, and you'd need to make sure your environment is configured so that ifort is in your path.  ifortvars.bat can set up your environment

0 Kudos
Leena_N_
Beginner

Hi,

It worked! Thank you..

0 Kudos
Leena_N_
Beginner

Hello,

I have compiled the SPEC2006 Benchmarks and I have got the  exe files. Now I want to analyze the performance of the processor using these benchmarks on Vtune amplifier. I have Vtune installed on my system(windows7). So, when I open a new project what should I take as input. Do I have to use the exe files or the program ? Please can anyone help me...

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Leena:

Please see the tutorials that are included in the VTune Amplifier XE software.  They walk you through everything!

0 Kudos
Leena_N_
Beginner

Hi,

I went throught the tutorial, it all says about the procedure how to conduct different type of analysis and general exploration. I just want to know that, do I have to use the binary obtained after the compilation of SPEC Benchmark as the application file in the Vtune aplifier ? I have the trouble at the starting point. Like what kind of file I should be using when I start a new analysis.

0 Kudos