Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Application crash with Thread analyzer

Peter_S_9
Beginner

Hello,

our inspected application reproducibly crashes when started with Intel Inspector XE 2015, even when running with only "Detect deadlocks" enabled.
The Crash occurs approx. 20 seconds after the application has started.
It does not crash when started with Memory analyzer.
It does not Crash when I deselect ALL Options of the Thread analyzer.

The Crash occurs inside "d3d10warp.dll". Intel Inspector detects the Crash, but does not Show additonal Information.
Our applicaiton is written in C++ with MFC and is build in 64 bit mode for Windows 7.
We are using the "boost" library.

We are currently having the Evaluation Version and are heavily interested in buying the Inspector.
How can we get it running?

Regards,
Peter S.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Thank you for this report, are you using Inspector XE 2015 Update 1?

It seemed that Inspector failed of instrumenting d3d10warp.dll when profiling your application. Could you please build a small test case which calls d3d10warp.dll to reproduce the problem? Send me this test case. Thank you.

If it's difficult to build such test case, can you run "inspxe-feedback -create-bug-report <report archive>" when crash occurred again? Send my zipped logs if possible. 

0 Kudos
Peter_S_9
Beginner

Dear Peter,

thanks for your reply. I am using XE2015 Update 1.

I am not so sure whether the Problem occured during Instrumentation of the "D3D10Warp.dll". In the Project Settings I restricted the modules, to the ".exe" file of our application.

Anyway, I copied the reports from the Crash.

Kind Regards,
Peter

0 Kudos
Peter_S_9
Beginner

These are the reports

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I am not so sure whether the Problem occured during Instrumentation of the "D3D10Warp.dll". 

You can verify this by excluding this module , for example: "inspxe-cl -collect ti3 -module-filter-mode=exclude -module-filter=D3D10Waro.dll -- program", or including your target application only "inspxe-cl -collect ti3 -module-filter-mode=include -module-filter=your-app -- program" (You can set above by using inspxe-gui, modify associated filed in project's properties) 

Thanks for your report, I have escalated to developer.

0 Kudos
Peter_S_9
Beginner

Hello Peter,

we have several calls to DirectDraw, which are drawing Image overlays. After I removed those calls from the code, Intel Inspector is working. However I do not have an Explanation why the inspector Fails in case of These calls.

Kind Regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

OK. I will add your comments to developer.

Have you tried "-module-filter-mode=..." option I mentioned last time? I mean that you still call DirectDraw and used Inspector.

0 Kudos
Peter_S_9
Beginner

Thanks.

Yes I already tried excluding the dll, both via command line and via UI. Also only including the .Exe file of our application has not worked out.

Best Regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
Robert_L_Intel1
Employee

Hi Peter S. and Peter W.  This seems like one of those cases where application verifier might be helpful.  It's possible that Inspector is flushing out a bug in the DirectX DLL.  You could try running in application verifier with some threading diagnostics enabled and see if it crashes.  With that information, you might, with the help of the windows debugger and the public symbol server, find a specific KB article about a known problem.

Otherwise, though, if you don't have a specific dependency on a specific version of the DirectX runtime, or this DLL in particular, you could try to update it.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Upgrading this DirectX DLL is a good idea. Thanks Bob!

Our developer suggested to use Inspector's debugger with integration mode to run your application to cause this failure, program will stop when crash occurs then you can look at call stack to know detail. (Use "Enable debugger when problem detected")

Another way is to send reproducer to us for investigating.

Thanks, Peter

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

You can try to use Sysinternals ProcDump in order to collect failed process dump when your application crashes and/or you can follow Bob's advise and unleash full power of application verifier combined with windbg in order to further troubleshoot your app problem.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I want to check if this problem can be reproduced in version 2016? Can you use latest DirectX DLL?

If the problem persists on, can I get a reproducer for this issue?

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

It seemed there was no other to report this again, maybe due to DirectX ("d3d10warp.dll") upgrading. I tentatively close this issue, please feel free to contact me on this thread, if problem comes back (sending me a private message with reproducer is high appreciated).

0 Kudos