Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Bad socperf2_0 Driver Signature

Chronus_Taizen
Beginner
I installed Intel Parallel Studio 2017 today. The installer gave me two pop-up windows during the entire install which I ignored. They both said that a signature was invalid for vtss and a sampling component. I forget the exact verbiage. I found something promising reading our Forums amplxe-sepreg -i -v, but I get: C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\VTune Amplifier XE 2017\bin32>amplxe-sepreg -i -v Stopping service sepdrv4_0...NOT FOUND Stopping service socperf2_0...Copying file C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\VTune Amplifier XE 2017\bin64\sepdrv\win7\socperf2_0.sys to C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\socperf2_0.sys...OK Installing service socperf2_0...OK Warning: service socperf2_0 already exists Starting service socperf2_0...FAILED Reason: The socperf2_0 driver may not be properly signed; error code: 577 VTSS++ driver found Deleting system32/drivers/vtss.sys file...OK Forming source path for vtss.sys...OK Forming destination path for vtss.sys...OK Copying file C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\VTune Amplifier XE 2017\bin32\.\..\bin64\sepdrv\vtss.sys to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\vtss.sys...OK Installing and starting VTSS++ driver...FAILED. I am running WIndows 10. How can I resolve the signature issue? Thanks ~L
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hello,

What is your platform and Windows 10 build and variant (Desktop, Mobile, Server) ?

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos
Chronus_Taizen
Beginner

Hi,

Edition: Window 10 Pro

Version: 1607

OS Build:14393.187

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz

RAM: 16.0GB

System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Pen and touch: Touch support with 10 touch points

It's an HP laptop. I am not sure what you mean by platform. 

Cheers,

~L

0 Kudos
Rui_L_
Beginner

I have a similar issue when I was installing the intel parallel studio XE 2016 update 3 today.

There are two pop-up windows during the entire install and I ignored. I cannot remember the exact content in these two pop-ups but they are all about "a digitally signed driver is required".

I tried to fix this problem by reboot my PC and disable driver  signature requirement for once. I then use the installation media to repair " intel parallel studio XE 2016". There is one pop-up window this time, saying that A digitally signed driver is required for "PMU Arbitration Service".

I tried to update my VTune Amplifier XE to update 4 (which is available in the Intel software manager) and this time, two pop-ups windows appear saying that digitally signed driver is required for "sepdrv4_0.sys" and "socperf2_0.sys". This happened during the last step of installation (configuring visual studio...).

My Pc has Windows 10 pro 64 bites system and has visual studio2013 professional installed. I want to use visual fortran and I was wondering if it is OK for me to ignore all these errors. Do I need to uninstall  ​intel parallel studio XE 2016 and reinstall it ? Please help me. 

0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hello,

Can you please check if your laptops/PCs have "Secure Boot" feature set to ON in BIOS?  It's usually enabled by default on laptop and mobile platforms.

On Windows 10 1607 it now prevents loading kernel mode drivers if they were not signed by Miscrosoft Dev Portal: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/windows_hardware_certification/2016/07/26/driver-signing-changes-in-windows-10-version-1607/

VTune Amplifier team is now exploring on this enforcement for our software kernel drivers.

Without the loaded sepdrv*.sys and socperf*.sys drivers, VTune Amplifier is still able to perform software based analysis like Basic Hotspots, Concurrency and Locks&Waits.

To perform the Hardware event-based sampling analysis with VTune Amplifier 2016/2017 on the non-upgraded fresh installations of Windows 10, version 1607 - the Secure Boot needs to be set OFF.

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos
Chronus_Taizen
Beginner

Katya,

I will check setting Secure Boot off later today and post back; that is a terrible compromise and not a solution . When will the drivers be properly signed?

Thanks.

~L

0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hello,

We are currently exploring on a solution in future releases of 2017 version of VTune Amplifier.

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos
Chronus_Taizen
Beginner

Turning off Secure Boot and running "amplxe-sepreg -i -v" solved the problem. The trade it off is not worth it. I will use the 2016 version until Intel patches the 2017 version,

Thank you.

~L

0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel

The VTune Amplifier 2016 initial release drivers can be loaded on Windows 10 version1607 due to MS exception:

• Drivers signed with an end-entity certificate issued prior to July 29th, 2015 that chains to a supported cross-signed CA will continue to be allowed.

That's a temporary solution for a fresh installation of Windows 10.

Newly signed drivers will be provided in coming Update 1 of VTune Amplifier 2017 later this year. Also once we have patched drivers for the initial version of VTune Amplifier 2017 - we will post them here to unblock you with current installation.

Sorry for the inconveniences and thanks for your patience!

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hello,

For those who are blocked by the driver signing issue on Windows 10 Secure Boot mode enabled system, please be informed that recently released VTune Amplifier XE 2017 Update 1 has the drivers updated and compatible with the mode.

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos
Tomi_K_
Beginner

Hi, I just installed the latest version of parallel_studio_xe_2017_update4_cluster_edition_online_setup.exe and got same unsigned errors with vtss.sys and Sampling Enabling Product. I'm using Windows 10 pro Version 1703 OS Build 15063.540

0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hi Tomy,

Please download standalone VTune Amplifier XE 2017 Update 3 or Update 4 installers for Windows from Intel Registration Center . It has compatible Microsoft Dev signed drivers.

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos