Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Cannot locate debugging symbol

CWhit10
Beginner

Hi,

I'm new in using profiling tools. I have few questions:

1) Does Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2015 currently have the specific feature of analyzing the performance of a source code on implementing OpenMP API?

2) When I tried to run Advanced Hotspots Analysis, it was completed with the warning:

cannot locate debugging symbols for file '/lib/x86_64-linux/libc-2.19.so'.

cannot locate debugging symbols for file '/lib/x86_64-linux/ld-2.19.so'.

3) What is the effect of missing debugging symbols?

4) When I was about to use VTune to perform analysis on OpenMP region, it displayed nothing. It is because of my OS version? Below is the info of my OS:

My OS: Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit

Cinnamon Version: 2.2.13

Linux Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic

0 Kudos
1 Solution
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Claudia:

1. Yes, but it requires the Intel OpenMP runtime library. (more info, and this note from release notes: "VTune Amplifier XE supports analysis of OpenMP* applications built with Intel® Fortran Compiler Professional Edition version 11.0 or higher, Intel® C++ Compiler Professional Edition version 11.0 or higher, or GNU* C/C++ Compiler 4.2 or higher.")
  2. This is normal.  Symbols for system runtime libraries are not generally available.  It will not impact your ability to profile your code.  You just won't which system functions where executing, since all the samples will be reported against the module - the lowest level known to VTune Amplifier without symbolic info.
  3. See above.
  4. This is definitely not a supported OS (see Release Notes).  It may or may not work.  Please try one of the sample apps included with the VTune Amplifier.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Was the library compiled with debug symbols?

0 Kudos
CWhit10
Beginner

Yup. I use this command to compile it:

gcc -g -fopenmp Matrix.c -o Matrix.exe

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Claudia:

1. Yes, but it requires the Intel OpenMP runtime library. (more info, and this note from release notes: "VTune Amplifier XE supports analysis of OpenMP* applications built with Intel® Fortran Compiler Professional Edition version 11.0 or higher, Intel® C++ Compiler Professional Edition version 11.0 or higher, or GNU* C/C++ Compiler 4.2 or higher.")
  2. This is normal.  Symbols for system runtime libraries are not generally available.  It will not impact your ability to profile your code.  You just won't which system functions where executing, since all the samples will be reported against the module - the lowest level known to VTune Amplifier without symbolic info.
  3. See above.
  4. This is definitely not a supported OS (see Release Notes).  It may or may not work.  Please try one of the sample apps included with the VTune Amplifier.
0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Just a small correction regarding 2 - even with absence of symbol information VTune will be able to recognize function boundaries using static analysis. If function is exported, it'll be even correctly named, but for other functions the name of the function will be represented just as a start address of the function.

Absence of debug info will cause inability to drill down to source for corresponding module and may cause wrong stacks. On Debian-based systems you should be able to install corresponding dbg packages containing symbol information for system modules (e.g. libc6-dbg).

0 Kudos