Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Cannot run tripcount or roofline analysis

Sandem__Erik
Beginner

Hi,,

I'm evaluating Advisor 2019 and run into some problems with trip count, FLOP and roofline analysis. This happens with both my own code and samples, in VS2017 environment and standalone (both Win10). I can run the Survey analysis without issues, but when I run the roofline or trip count analysis it seems to timeout after 25 or 26 seconds, and the tripcounts result file is empty.

I have attached the a trip counts collection log below, anyone know what's causing this behaviour?

Peak bandwidth measurement started...
Peak bandwidth measurement finished.
Analysis started...
Collection has been started.
Result file: D:\Scratch\Vector_Tutorial_Introduction\Vectorization_Advisor\My Advisor Results - Vectorization_Advisor\e000\trc002\trc002.advixe 
Application exit code: 0 
Result file: D:\Scratch\Vector_Tutorial_Introduction\Vectorization_Advisor\My Advisor Results - Vectorization_Advisor\e000\trc002\trc002.advixe 
Analysis completed
Finalizing results
Finalizing the result
Loading raw data to the database
Loading 'bandwidth_1547051272.hpc' file
Loading 'tripcounts_2684_0.tcs' file
Cannot load data file `D:\Scratch\Vector_Tutorial_Introduction\Vectorization_Advisor\My Advisor Results - Vectorization_Advisor\e000\hs010\data.1\tripcounts_2684_0.tcs' (Data file is corrupted).
Updating precomputed scalar metrics
Raw data has been loaded to the database, elapsed time is 0.021 seconds.
Processing profile metrics and debug information
Data transformations have been finished, elapsed time is 0.000 seconds.
Processing profile metrics and debug information
Deferred data transformations have been finished, elapsed time is 0.008 seconds.
Setting data model parameters
Data model parameters have been set, elapsed time is 0.012 seconds.
Precomputing frequently used data
Precomputing frequently used data
Updating precomputed scalar metrics
Precomputing frequently used data has been finished, elapsed time is 0.067 seconds.
Discarding redundant overtime data
Saving the result
Redundant overtime data has been discarded, elapsed time is 0.008 seconds.
Raw collector data has been discarded, elapsed time is 0.000 seconds.
Finalizing the result took 0.458 seconds.
Preparing data for display of survey call tree

Regards,

ES

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dmitry_Dontsov
Employee

Hi Erik,

• Which compiler options were used?
  • Is it RS5 update of Windows 10?
  • Could You please provide exact version of Advisor (from About box)?
0 Kudos
Alexey_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Erik,

Which version of Windows 10 do you run? If it's Windows 10 RS5 than unfortunately we do not have support for it in tripcounts collector at the moment.

Regards,
Alexey M.

0 Kudos
Sandem__Erik
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for your replies and looking into this.

The tests were run on Win 10 RS5 (1809), so I guess that explains why I was not able to run the analysis. As these tests were done on a trial version which is now expired, I am not able to check the settings or Advisor version further than what is available in the original post. However, to the extent possible this issue has now been resolved.

Obviously, I would look forward to testing it again once support for Win 10 RS5 or later has been added.

Regards,

Erik

0 Kudos
Zakhar_M_Intel1
Employee

Do you mean trial version of Advisor expired? Please carefully check the current state of this page: https://software.intel.com/en-us/advisor/choose-download to learn more on license.

0 Kudos
Mark_Lewy
Valued Contributor I

Any ideas when 1809 support will be available; I'm currently using 2019 Update 3 (build 591264) and I assume, from the release notes, that this is not yet implemented?

0 Kudos
Kirill_R_Intel
Employee

The new Windows support is expected in the next update - 2019 Update 4. Tentative time frame is May 2019.

0 Kudos
Zakhar_M_Intel1
Employee

Mark, Advisor 2019 Udpate 4 has been released a month ago? Did you have a chance to try it out and confirm that the issue has gone away?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Sandem__Erik
Beginner

Hi,

I have tested Advisor 2019 Update 4 and can confirm the issue has gone away, roofline analysis etc now works as expected. I tested on Win10 update 1809 as well as 1903. On my end this issue was resolved with the latest Advisor update, thanks to everybody who pitched in to clarify the issue earlier.

Also, the current license model for these tools are highly appreciated.

0 Kudos