Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Does VTune support OPENmpi based applications?

anandb
Beginner
Since the release notes of Intel VTune Performance Analyzer 9.1 doesn't talk about supporting applications written using OPENmpi 1.3 libraries on Linux, I want to know if it is officially supported.

Thanks for your time.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - anandb
Since the release notes of Intel VTune Performance Analyzer 9.1 doesn't talk about supporting applications written using OPENmpi 1.3 libraries on Linux, I want to know if it is officially supported.

I don't see how there could be an "official" position on support or non-support of one version of MPI or another. With openmpi, you have the potential advantage that you could build the libraries yourself with -g, and so enable VTune to locate any events attributable to library on the same basis as your application code.
Supposing that you run the MPI application under VTune, you will expect VTune to collect events associate only with the copies of the application running on the same node as VTune.
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - anandb

Thanks for your time.

Both sampling data collection and call graph data collection can profile OpenMP* based application.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Both sampling data collection and call graph data collection can profile OpenMP* based application.

Regards, Peter
The question was about openmpi (probably the most popular MPI implementation). The fact that its name begins with openmp is an unfortunate coincidence, which ought to have been noticed by that team at the beginning.
Peter is right, in that even a hybrid OpenMP/MPI execution could be profiled by sampling. Call graph might best be limited to a single MPI process, using the CLI version of VTune running inside mpirun.
0 Kudos