Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Empty Rawdata !!!

sharshera
Beginner
The following is the output of the console while running an activity to sample a few counters.

This happened after I have been trying to run some activity with many things to watch for, it crashed several times, the crash produced a core dump and asked me to contact the creators of Eclipse. I just ignored that and killed the processes and then just restarted Vtune. Eventually, I was able to runs this experiment but it didn't get any results at all.

Do you need me to tarball my binaries for you to try yourselves or what should I do? The results that this thing is spitting doesnot make any sense, how come thre is no instructions executing or no events happening while I can get a solution to my SAT problem. I am using the Princeton zChaff SAT solver on Vtune. Let me know and I will pack the directory for you guys. I will meanwhile continue trying to see what this is all about.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Fri Jul 22 17:47:52 2005 (Run 0) The Sampling Collector is calibrating its collection parameters for the following event(s): Instructions Completed.
Fri Jul 22 17:56:32 2005 (Run 0) The Sampling Collector is collecting samples based on the following event(s): Instructions Completed.
Fri Jul 22 18:05:11 2005 (Run 0) The Sampling Collector failed to collect data because the selected event(s) did not occur.
Fri Jul 22 18:05:11 2005 (Run 1) The Sampling Collector is calibrating its collection parameters for the following event(s): Speculative Uops Retired.
Fri Jul 22 18:13:50 2005 (Run 1) The Sampling Collector is collecting samples based on the following event(s): Speculative Uops Retired.
Fri Jul 22 18:22:29 2005 (Run 1) The Sampling Collector failed to collect data for an unknown reason.
Fri Jul 22 18:22:29 2005 (Run 2) The Sampling Collector is calibrating its collection parameters for the following event(s): Uops Retired.
Fri Jul 22 18:31:10 2005 (Run 2) The Sampling Collector is collecting samples based on the following event(s): Uops Retired.
Fri Jul 22 18:39:50 2005 (Run 2) The Sampling Collector failed to collect data for an unknown reason.
Fri Jul 22 18:39:50 2005 (Run 3) The Sampling Collector is calibrating its collection parameters for the following event(s): Speculative Instructions Completed.
Fri Jul 22 18:48:33 2005 (Run 3) The Sampling Collector is collecting samples based on the following event(s): Speculative Instructions Completed.
Fri Jul 22 18:57:11 2005 (Run 3) The Sampling Collector failed to collect data for an unknown reason.
Fri Jul 22 18:57:14 2005 : The returned rowset is empty!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
What processor are you running this on?
If you want technical support to look into this, you need to submit an issue at Intel Premier Support. That is where you can upload any files you want to provide or are asked to provide.
Thanks,
0 Kudos
sharshera
Beginner
This is a Dual Xeon 3GHZ with 2 MB L2 Cache.
This is a single-threaded program.

My experience with technical support is so horrible that I think you guys would provide help faster. But anyways, I will try.
0 Kudos
sharshera
Beginner
I had that same error with events that I sampled before and they returned data but they remained returning empty data sets until I copied and modified the activity that worked and changed some of the events there and now I can get it to work?
The only differnce between these copied events and the failed ones was the upper bound for max time to run was very ver big in the failed ones something like 99999999 while in the others it was 10000.

Anyways, I wanted to share this experience with you guys, hoping that someone would point me out to the mistake that I have done to avoid in the future.

I have reported that to Premier support.
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Just a thought: have you tried running the profiling experiment with calibration ON and then again OFF, and compared results?
jdg
0 Kudos