Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4994 Discussions

How can I use Vtune with Visual Studio 2008 / German / C#?

fritzfranz
Beginner
I run Visual Studio 2008 with a German UI (I would like to change this to English, but so far I did not find a way to do that ..:)
I develop software in C#, and recently i downloaded Vtune for trial.

However
- I do not see how to integrate Vtune with my VS 2008 environment (no menus etc seem to show up)
- I do not find any tutorials or documentation how to do this.

Please provide help.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi,

For integrating VTune Analyzer component into Microsoft* Visual Studio, do steps -

1. Start -> All Programs -> Intel Software Development Tools-> Intel VTune Performance Analyzer-> Add or Remove Components

2. Select "Mofify" item in InstallShield Wizard, enable new integration. See below screen shot -

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
fritzfranz
Beginner
Problem is: I do NOT get these options after installing Vtune.
Only Core / Help / Examples / Global Data Folder appear in the "modify" screen.

Can it be the case that Visual Studio integration is mssing in the trial version????
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
I used evaluation license file to install the product, I also was asked if install integration of VS2005and integration of VS2008 when installing the product - because I have installed VS2005and VS2008, detected by the installer.

You may uninstall / reinstall the product to verify. If you can see screen shot I posted last time, that means the installer can't detect Visual Studio 2008 (German) in system? Support VS2008 in English only?

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
fritzfranz
Beginner
I already DID a re-install last night to be on the safe side - it did NOT help!!
Currently I see no way to re-install VS 2008 in English. I tried and failed.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Which operating system are you using? There is a known limitation with integration into Visual Studio* 2008 on Vista* and Windows 7*: see http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/integration-into-visual-studio-2008-not-working/.
0 Kudos
fritzfranz
Beginner

Thanks for the hint. My current OS is Windows 7.
My main development is in C#, therefore standalone analyiss is of too limited use for me.
I certainly do NOT want to go back to vS 2005, the only reasonable move would be forward to VS 2010.

This means that I have to discard Vtune for now and to wait for a new release with VS integration support under Windows 7.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Actually, whether you use the VTune analyzer in standalone or integrated into Visual Studio doesn't affect what data is collected at all! You can just as easily collect the data with the standalone GUI - it still recognizes managed code, e.g., C#.
0 Kudos